Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Lewis or Johnson ftw?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To, me this seems like a match made in heaven. Lennox Lewis who fought in the 1990s was a great technical boxer with a damaging jab and damaging hooks. He was also a giant, standing at 6'5".

Jack Johnson was about as tough as a fighter can get, spitting in the faces of white men in a time when the KKK would have hanged him over the nearest tree for simply being an uppity *****. Johnson was also a very technical fighter, who liked to punish his opponents, carrying them so that they would be out right exausted before the knockout. One of the most tiring things about him is the perfected clinch. You had to be stronger than an ox to get out of one of Jack Johnson's clinches. Often times, fighters fought Johnson with a couple of their teeth embedded into his gloves.

Tell me what you think would happen in a 12 round fight, a 15 round fight, and in a finish fight. Each in their prime weight, and with 8 ounce gloves.

Lewis SD12 Johnson
Johnson TKO13 Lewis

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Lewis had a weak chin but he would be technically superior and maybe too strong for Johnson.

Lewis right hand was bonecrushing and Stanley Ketchel( a middleweight) once had dropped Johnson with a right hand. Also, the size of Lewis could be a big factor.
If a crude Jess Willard could beat Johnson, I think Lewis could've done the same.

If not by a surprise big punch KO, I dont think Johnson would stand so much of a chance.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Lewis had a weak chin but he would be technically superior and maybe too strong for Johnson.

Lewis right hand was bonecrushing and Stanley Ketchel( a middleweight) once had dropped Johnson with a right hand. Also, the size of Lewis could be a big factor.
If a crude Jess Willard could beat Johnson, I think Lewis could've done the same.

If not by a surprise big punch KO, I dont think Johnson would stand so much of a chance.
Johnson was screwing around with Ketchel when he was dropped, and it didn't hurt Jack, it pissed him off. When Johnson was KO'd by Willard he old and out of shape, but still put up a decent fight for 26 rounds.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well said, Bill. Jack Johnson was way to tough to fall under Lewis. Johnson was about as tough as a fighter can get. Johnson was a man who spat in the faces of white men at a time where nobody could back him up, and at a time where they simply would have hung him from the nearest tree for being an uppity negroe. If you think Lennox Lewis can hurt Jack Johnson, you are not looking at the heavyweight champion that I am talking about.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Well said, Bill. Jack Johnson was way to tough to fall under Lewis. Johnson was about as tough as a fighter can get. Johnson was a man who spat in the faces of white men at a time where nobody could back him up, and at a time where they simply would have hung him from the nearest tree for being an uppity negroe. If you think Lennox Lewis can hurt Jack Johnson, you are not looking at the heavyweight champion that I am talking about.
I'm not the kind of guy that keeps saying the sport evolved and the modern fighters are greater because they're more improved technically and would have beaten old time fighters. Specially because in many cases, that would'nt have been the case.

If there is an expression to say what I'm trying to say: Quality/era speaking Jack Johnson is 100x better than Lewis. I mean, in his time he was so ahead, so superior to other men that its beyond comparison to any sports star today, maybe tiger woods. Its like a p4p comparison, but instead of looking at weight classes, we look at eras.

Lewis is miles behind quality/era. But it has been so much time, that even though Lewis is not a greater fighter than Johnson, and wasnt as dominant and strong in his era, he is better than Johnson in terms of technique and skills alone - because the sport has evolved at some point, and the techniques have been perfected. its just Lewis era's standards of quality > than early 20th century's standards.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
I'm not the kind of guy that keeps saying the sport evolved and the modern fighters are greater because they're more improved technically and would have beaten old time fighters. Specially because in many cases, that would'nt have been the case.

If there is an expression to say what I'm trying to say: Quality/era speaking Jack Johnson is 100x better than Lewis. I mean, in his time he was so ahead, so superior to other men that its beyond comparison to any sports star today, maybe tiger woods. Its like a p4p comparison, but instead of looking at weight classes, we look at eras.

Lewis is miles behind quality/era. But it has been so much time, that even though Lewis is not a greater fighter than Johnson, and wasnt as dominant and strong in his era, he is better than Johnson in terms of technique and skills alone - because the sport has evolved at some point, and the techniques have been perfected. its just Lewis era's standards of quality > than early 20th century's standards.
I can agree with most of this. IMO boxing was perfected around the 1930's.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
If it was 12 rounds, Lewis by close UD. Have to favour Johnson if it went longer though, simply because he was SO tough.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it was 12 rounds, Lewis by close UD. Have to favour Johnson if it went longer though, simply because he was SO tough.
Pretty much the same way that I saw it too. I just cannot see Lewis going more than 13 rounds with Jack Johnson. Lewis was still a great fighter nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Even in a 12 round fight ill still have to give it to JJ.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
He was a very smart fighter.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish I knew more about his defense, but nobody puts his fights on the TV. WE WANT JACK JACKSON THE BOXER... seriously I am tired of hearing abo0ut that crappy singer.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
He was 1 of the best defensive fighters ever. Even as a old man he had a great defense. It was like it was in his blood.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It never ceases to amaze me the fact that Jack Johnson retired 9 years after Jack Dempsey did. Jack Johnson born in 1878 and retired in 1936, and Jack Dempsey was born in 1895, and retired in 1927. Jack Johnson was fighting before Jack Dempsey was born (which was 1894 BTW)

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Sounds like that might be true man.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Oh well then I guess it is true

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
*converts to Islam* Andrew Jackson was my slave name. My muslim name is Jim. Jimothy Muhammad. Now I will no longer be the girl who cried quack.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts