Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I saw this fight with my dad via closed circuit TV. To this day, there are still those who contend Marvin Hagler beat Sugar Ray Leonard. That the fight was rigged. I contend Leonard beat the man fair and square. Hagler was a stand and duke it out kinda fighter. Leonard of course had quick hands and feet. And he almost had Hagler down a time or two.

Do any of you remember this fight? Do any of you have an opinion as to who won?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
Melizzy said:
OK, I saw this fight with my dad via closed circuit TV. To this day, there are still those who contend Marvin Hagler beat Sugar Ray Leonard. That the fight was rigged. I contend Leonard beat the man fair and square. Hagler was a stand and duke it out kinda fighter. Leonard of course had quick hands and feet. And he almost had Hagler down a time or two.

Do any of you remember this fight? Do any of you have an opinion as to who won?

I have asked many people about this bout, including Bert Sugar, who tells me that Leonard won. I also talked to several Boxing Judges and many pick Hagler and many pick Leonard.

Here's the official score cards:

Judge: Jose J. Guerra 118-110 Leonard

Judge: Lou Filippo 115-113 Hagler

Judge: Dave Moretti 115-113 Leonard

I will say that if your a Boxing Judge all your attention is on the fight. Your not talking to your friends or having a drink, etc.

Also, if you watch the bout in person, it's a lot different then if you watch it on TV or in the movies.

Everytime I watch that bout and still see many rounds that were close and could have been scored either way. Some Judges, like the boxer type and other like the Aggressive boxer/puncher type.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
hhascup said:
I have asked many people about this bout, including Bert Sugar, who tells me that Leonard won. I also talked to several Boxing Judges and many pick Hagler and many pick Leonard.

Here's the official score cards:

Judge: Jose J. Guerra 118-110 Leonard

Judge: Lou Filippo 115-113 Hagler

Judge: Dave Moretti 115-113 Leonard

I will say that if your a Boxing Judge all your attention is on the fight. Your not talking to your friends or having a drink, etc.

Also, if you watch the bout in person, it's a lot different then if you watch it on TV or in the movies.

Everytime I watch that bout and still see many rounds that were close and could have been scored either way. Some Judges, like the boxer type and other like the Aggressive boxer/puncher type.
Really what the judges should have is a mini TV that is showing the fight, because that way you get all of the angles and will know who is winning loseing etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
bill1234 said:
Really what the judges should have is a mini TV that is showing the fight, because that way you get all of the angles and will know who is winning loseing etc.
Believe it or not, the Judges that I know, and again, I know a lot, have all said that they see everything where they sit. They can hear the punches land by being right there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
hhascup said:
Believe it or not, the Judges that I know, and again, I know a lot, have all said that they see everything where they sit. They can hear the punches land by being right there.
Thats weird....
 

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
As good and as nice a guy Leonard was... he got it kind of easy in the late 80s. When most fighters had to beat opponent after opponent to get their well deserved Championsnip... Leonard instantly got shots at the Middleweight Championship and then the Super Middleweight and Light Heavyweight Championship... without really having to do anything beforehand! Mind you... those fights were good... but Leonard was a politician! Leonard was given the decision because hardly anybody liked Hagler and they wanted a fairytale ending... the crowd was on Leoanrd's... The Commentators were... and Leonard did win the first few rounds... but Hagler... I swear to you... took control on the later rounds and HE should've been the winner by split decision... NOT LEONARD! People didn't like Hugler because he didn't look pretty and all of that in between... the fact that Leoanard began celebrating after the final bell rang made me think "Does he really think he has won... or is he just doing it to build upon the impression that he has one?" I know this may all sound crazy... but although Leonard was quicker and a better athlete... I still say Hagler won! Also... you wanna know why Hagler never fought again? He though he won... he still does to this day! He quit because of the politics... and the fact that Leonard was too cowardly to give him a rematch... it'll ruin his "PERFECT STORYBOOK CAREER!!!" Mind you... I like Leonard... and Hagler... but Hagler won... and all of this... is my two cents!:cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
White Tyson said:
As good and as nice a guy Leonard was... he got it kind of easy in the late 80s. When most fighters had to beat opponent after opponent to get their well deserved Championsnip... Leonard instantly got shots at the Middleweight Championship and then the Super Middleweight and Light Heavyweight Championship... without really having to do anything beforehand! Mind you... those fights were good... but Leonard was a politician! Leonard was given the decision because hardly anybody liked Hagler and they wanted a fairytale ending... the crowd was on Leoanrd's... The Commentators were... and Leonard did win the first few rounds... but Hagler... I swear to you... took control on the later rounds and HE should've been the winner by split decision... NOT LEONARD! People didn't like Hugler because he didn't look pretty and all of that in between... the fact that Leoanard began celebrating after the final bell rang made me think "Does he really think he has won... or is he just doing it to build upon the impression that he has one?" I know this may all sound crazy... but although Leonard was quicker and a better athlete... I still say Hagler won! Also... you wanna know why Hagler never fought again? He though he won... he still does to this day! He quit because of the politics... and the fact that Leonard was too cowardly to give him a rematch... it'll ruin his "PERFECT STORYBOOK CAREER!!!" Mind you... I like Leonard... and Hagler... but Hagler won... and all of this... is my two cents!:cool:
I watched an interview with Leonard about 4 months ago, and he admitted he thought he lost that fight. He alos said the draw him and Hearns had, he said Hearns beat him there.
 

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
bill1234 said:
I watched an interview with Leonard about 4 months ago, and he admitted he thought he lost that fight. He alos said the draw him and Hearns had, he said Hearns beat him there.
I KNEW IT... Awesome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
bill1234 said:
I watched an interview with Leonard about 4 months ago, and he admitted he thought he lost that fight. He alos said the draw him and Hearns had, he said Hearns beat him there.

I heard him say that about the Hearns bout, BUT I don't think I ever heard him say that about the Hagler one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
hhascup said:
I heard him say that about the Hearns bout, BUT I don't think I ever heard him say that about the Hagler one.
I forget what it was on, it was late at night, during the summer, and I saw a recent interview with him and he said that he thought Hagler beat him.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top