Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mayweather, Hatton trade verbal jabs at news conference

September 17, 2007
LOS ANGELES (TICKER) -- The hype has begun for perhaps the biggest fight of the year.

On Monday, undefeated boxers Floyd Mayweather Jr. and England's Ricky Hatton took turns disrespecting each other during a news conference in the Universal City section of Los Angeles in advance of their December 8 showdown at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Hatton (43-0-0, 31 KOs) played a video which poked fun at Mayweather (38-0-0, 24 KOs) for taking dancing lessons in preparation for his upcoming appearance on the hit TV show "Dancing with the Stars."

"He is doing the show 'Dancing with the Stars' and I think that's how he is boxing," Hatton said. "Floyd always backs up. That's the woman part."

Hatton then joined the conference, wearing a golden crown on his head which Mayweather promptly snatched away from him.

"I am glad he took it, because it looks more like Burger King than like a champion," Hatton said.

Hatton, the IBF light welterweight champion, is looking to add Mayweather's WBC welterweight belt.

"I was delighted when I won my British title, then I got more and more and the world title," Hatton said. "Now, that is going to be another stage. I have the toes to do this job, and I will do this job and become the new best pound for pound champion in the world."

Known as a big showman, the 30-year old Mayweather stepped forward to Hatton during the conference, faced him and talked straight into his face. The 28-year old from Manchester just chewed his gum without saying a word.

"Talk to me, talk to me," said Mayweather to his opponent before calling him "Vicky Fatten" and intimating that Hatton should be a wrestler instead of a boxer.

Mayweather, wearing a $3,000 suit, then talked about all his projects, including his own box promotion company, his appearance on "Dancing with the Stars" and his new energy drink.

After showing some off dancing steps with his partner, Mayweather had some advice for Hatton.

"You'll get a big paycheck, and when I am done with you I'll collect more and more in the future because I am the best in the world," Mayweather said. "I am special like my mum always told me. I am worth $200 million."

Mayweather is a six-time world champion in five weight divisions, including super featherweight, lightweight, super lightweight, welterweight and super welterweight. He showed his extraordinary boxing skills earlier this year when he defeated Oscar de la Hoya in May.

The biggest fight of Hatton's career is already setting records, as tickets in Las Vegas were sold out in 35 minutes.

"I am proud of this, but very sorry for all my fans, because they sent only 3,900 tickets to the UK," Hatton said. "And 10,000 people always follow my fights and most of them won't get a ticket."

To appease the fans left without tickets, the MGM will provide roughly 50,000 closed-circuit seats with live coverage throughout their different hotels in Las Vegas.

Tickets will be roughly $50 and most will be in British hands, as the Hatton camp stated that already 15,000 fans booked flights and hotels for the fight weekend.

The Mayweather-Hatton fight has the potential to break records this December. The two undefeated fighters form the biggest matchup of two undefeated welterweights since the record setting mega-fight between de la Hoya and Felix Trinidad in 1999.

below is a link to the first picture taken at their first press conference.

Boxing News -- Fightnews.com : EEAppZykyykAaurFOY

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Fight will be the biggest disappointment of the year. Hatton following Floyd around the ring, and Floyd slapping him around with punches I could take.

A snoooooozer. That's right.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
i cant wait

i think it will be entertaining and the biggest and best win for a british boxer in history

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
its going to be great having ricky as the best pound for pound fighter in the world, im actualy looking forward to ricky fighting oscar after he beats floyd more than im looking forward to this one, hatton v oscar will be a great war.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I think Floyd heavily under-estimates Hatton, but i still think he'll manage to eek out a UD. I dont expect it to be that entertaining though.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Hatton is fast enough on his feet to catch Baby Floyd. So he wont be able to run to far. He will have to stand and fight at some point in this fight.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
the key to this fight is hattons speed gowing forward.

people have to remember that you can move faster going forwrd than you can moving backwards, when floyds moving back hatton will be right on top of him.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
TommyGunn said:
the key to this fight is hattons speed gowing forward.

people have to remember that you can move faster going forwrd than you can moving backwards, when floyds moving back hatton will be right on top of him.
I see it the same way.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hatton wont be going forwards as fast as you think, or he'll continuely walk into big shots and he knows it. taking bets since everyoen seesm to think hatton will win, come on put up the big points.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
TysonJones said:
hatton wont be going forwards as fast as you think, or he'll continuely walk into big shots and he knows it. taking bets since everyoen seesm to think hatton will win, come on put up the big points.
big shots. :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Tommy I'll bet you however many points I have on December 8th on Floyd. Deal?

Oh, and I got my tickets baby!!!

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah compared to the shots hatton is used to taking, mayweather will be hitting him pretty damn hard. possibly the leverage and the force that hatton will be walking into the punches may make them do more damage that tszyu's punches. Hatton hardly got hit clean with any tszyu punches. mayweather throws them from angles you dont thikn of and he definently gets alot of leverage with his shoulder roll punches.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
were the only sane ones on the site shane, every one else thinks hatton is going to pull this off. this aint no tyson vs douglas guys, dont kid yourself.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
TysonJones said:
this is like tyson/spinks.:D
be quite u plonker

u r insane if you think floyd will win easily

hatton is very quick on his feet and will punish floyd to the body.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Tommy I'll bet you however many points I have on December 8th on Floyd. Deal?

Oh, and I got my tickets baby!!!
As long as it leaves enough to pay me my 200K that I bet him on Floyd. :cool:

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
plonker? dont get personal with me boy and dont be mad that this american is going to outclass that fatman.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts