Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, what changes do you make to try and make the sport better?

I would get rid all of the super this and light that weight divisions, along with cruiserweight. I would also create a huge unification tournament where each champion has to fight another champion until there is 1 champ in each of the 8 divisions. Once there is 1 champ in each division I would get rid of all of the alphabet organizations and create just one sanctioning body. Once this is done I would change all championship fights from 12 rounds, to 15 rounds.

I would also have a system where if a very controversial decision is made, 5 new judges would rewatch the fight and score it. If at least 3/5 of the 5 new judges vote in favor of the man who was on the wrong end of the decision, the decision would be overruled.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'd prob. do everything you guys said, but first somehow get olympic boxing back to how it was in the old days if that's possible while being the 'ruler of boxing':)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I would do my best to have some of the sports biggest and most exciting match-ups on regular cable. if you can start to market boxing like the mma does, where it's so called "cool" to be a boxing fan, then that would be a major step in the right direction.

I would definately have more then just one belt per weight devision. maybe not as many as they have now but it brings more money into the sport and very deserving fighters would end up waiting years for "their" chance to be a world champion. and probably only get one chance at that.and some unification bouts are considered super-fights which is obviously a good thing. Champions only fighting 1 or 2 times a year prevent me from wanting only one belt. Also, it prevents fighters with 2 or 3 or more loses from EVER getting a title shot. Hell a good example would be Antonio Margarito, he might have never been given a shot at the world title with his record consisting of that many loses. fighters would end up fight bum after bum trying to keep their "0" intacted because a lose would be devestating. Anyone else see my point on this one?

Also, The way you market boxing is way more important then any one fighter can do for the sport.

I would start having some key fights in places besides Las Vegas and A.C. let other fans who can't travel far get a chance to see a great match-up. Might attracted some new fans from that area aswell.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
1-1 champion per division
2- Better judges
3-Yearly tournaments
4-The champ must fight the # guy if he wants to keep the belt.
All pretty good points. Yearly tournaments might be tough schedule wise, but more AND better judges would be nice.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
I would do my best to have some of the sports biggest and most exciting match-ups on regular cable. if you can start to market boxing like the mma does, where it's so called "cool" to be a boxing fan, then that would be a major step in the right direction.

I would definately have more then just one belt per weight devision. maybe not as many as they have now but it brings more money into the sport and very deserving fighters would end up waiting years for "their" chance to be a world champion. and probably only get one chance at that.and some unification bouts are considered super-fights which is obviously a good thing. Champions only fighting 1 or 2 times a year prevent me from wanting only one belt. Also, it prevents fighters with 2 or 3 or more loses from EVER getting a title shot. Hell a good example would be Antonio Margarito, he might have never been given a shot at the world title with his record consisting of that many loses. fighters would end up fight bum after bum trying to keep their "0" intacted because a lose would be devestating. Anyone else see my point on this one?

Also, The way you market boxing is way more important then any one fighter can do for the sport.

I would start having some key fights in places besides Las Vegas and A.C. let other fans who can't travel far get a chance to see a great match-up. Might attracted some new fans from that area aswell.

Great ideas. Getting more big bouts on national networks would be a great achievement. That sreally the first big step needed.
I like the idea of having fights in different areas/arenas as well.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
All that was said above plus :

-Boxers cannot choose their opponents. You have to fight the #1 guy unless he's not available.
-Boxers cannot move up in weight and get a title shot immediately.
-There's only one boxing organisation that's also a sanctioning body and takes care of the promotion and deals with tv channels.
-5 judges at ringside.
-An independant commission evaluates the officials (judges, referees) with a point system. You get a point for every poor officiating. You get suspended (temporarily) after a certain amount of points.
-8 ounces gloves have to be used at welterweight and below (this goes for every sanctioned fight anywhere in the world).
-Amateur bouts are 7 rounds of 3 minutes.
-Amateur gloves don't have extra padding.
-The amateur scoring system is the same as the professional scoring system.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Boxing would be amazing if I ran it.

The first thing I'd do is make there only one champ per division, and all of the alphabet orgs would be out. I'm not about to list all that I'd do because I have too much to do right now, but this is a great thread.

·
Registered
841 Posts
All that was said above plus :

-Boxers cannot choose their opponents. You have to fight the #1 guy unless he's not available.
-Boxers cannot move up in weight and get a title shot immediately.
-There's only one boxing organisation that's also a sanctioning body and takes care of the promotion and deals with tv channels.
-5 judges at ringside.
-An independant commission evaluates the officials (judges, referees) with a point system. You get a point for every poor officiating. You get suspended (temporarily) after a certain amount of points.
-8 ounces gloves have to be used at welterweight and below (this goes for every sanctioned fight anywhere in the world).
-Amateur bouts are 7 rounds of 3 minutes.
-Amateur gloves don't have extra padding.
-The amateur scoring system is the same as the professional scoring system.
:thumbsup:Your hired.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I would change the money situation. Maybe still give the champ more of the pot. Say 60/40, but if it were ppv, put the extra money from ppv buys up for grabs. You win, you get paid extra, you lose, you lose the pot too!

Non-title fights do like RJJ said. 60/40 split. Winner takes the 60, loser the 40.

All these fights are more about money these days. I think things like this would make for more exciting fights.

G

·
1. 4 titles per division.
2. NO CATCH WEIGHTS
3. 4 Sanctioning bodies have unified rules.
4. Ability to keep title as long as you defend it within 10 months.

G

·
1-1 champion per division
2- Better judges
3-Yearly tournaments
4-The champ must fight the # guy if he wants to keep the belt.
That's making us watch fights like Pavlik/Rubio and Cotto/Jennings. Either get rid of the mandatories or make the mandatories make some sort of sense.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Here`s what I would:

1. Two champions per division.
2. Possibility of unification bout resulting in superchampion.
3. Fighter`s have less saying in who they fight if they are on the top.
4. Every judge has a close family person kidnapped during fight and hung over a shark pool, and after each fight fans vote if particular judges scoring was fair. If more than 50% fans will vote "unfair" - said judges relative goes for a swim. :cheeky4:
5. Women boxing is allways topless. :laugh:

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
- Only two champs rather than 4.
- Have SOME championship fights 15 rounds, but not all.
- Agree with Balistik about officials needing to be assessed independently.
- Champion must defend his title against a top 5 opponent at least once a year.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It would be nice if we had mandatory title unifications between the different organisations.

I oppose the catch weights, i do not like this for ex. the Dream Match. I would agree to it however if the fighters should fight the same night as the weigh in, like amateurs do, no possibility to re-hydrate the way pro fighters can.

What i find most disturbing are the controversial jury decisions, this would have to stop. Only refs and officials who have actually fought themselves and then on top of that criterium they should have to pass a serious examination and after that they should be monitored by officials who are very experienced.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts

This is a great post :thumbsup::thumbsup:.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I hate to bring them up again, but the mma gives out a ko bonus in certain fights and I think that's a good idea for boxing. it doesn't have to be much but would give incentive to fighters who go in and try to finish the fight early. it's a way to maybe get fighters to be more exciting or it might get them to throw a few more punches per round.

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
I hate to bring them up again, but the mma gives out a ko bonus in certain fights and I think that's a good idea for boxing. it doesn't have to be much but would give incentive to fighters who go in and try to finish the fight early. it's a way to maybe get fighters to be more exciting or it might get them to throw a few more punches per round.
That would be Gr8, too bad some boxers cant Ko others and have no chance sometimes. It would be a good thing for title fights

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
All fights would be 60/40 in favor of the winner.

All champions with belts must fight at least 3 times a year.

More networks covering boxing.

Get rid of at least half the ppv fights.

8 oz gloves for everyone.

No ringside judges or ref's over the age of 50.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts