Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lewis: "I will come out of retirement to beat up that guy"

"I'm a normal person. I have dreams, daydreams or whatever," Lewis said. "I've dreamed about me and [Mike] Tyson coming back, bringing back the old guys. I've dreamed about boxing Riddick Bowe. If they want to do an oldies show, let's bring back Riddick Bowe for the fight that never happened."

Lewis beat Bowe in the 1988 Olympic final to win the gold medal but was ducked by Bowe in the pros. Bowe even tossed a championship belt in a trash can in a publicity stunt to avoid a mandatory defense against Lewis.

Bowe, of course, is scheduled to fight for the first time in three and a half years on Dec. 13 in Germany on the undercard of Wladimir Klitschko's title defense against Rahman. Lewis will be ringside for HBO and plans on watching Bowe's fight.

"He waits until I am in retirement to call out my name," said Lewis, who still has animosity toward Bowe. "I will come out of retirement to beat up that guy. I'll beat him up for free."

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
The names itself would make a interesting and exciting match-up, and both fighters still have something to probe to each other in which who is the best. So eventhough they're old, they're fighting for something (called respect), and they will go all out to get that respect. I'll no doubt watch this fight.

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
The names itself would make a interesting and exciting match-up, and both fighters still have something to probe to each other in which who is the best. So eventhough they're old, they're fighting for something (called respect), and they will go all out to get that respect. I'll no doubt watch this fight.
I agree...very few boxers fight for what we call respect anymore. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I agree, and it's better then any match up we have available today in the HW's.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Yep. Put it like this, Bowe is one of my top ten favourite Heavyweights of all time. So is Lennox Lewis. Even at this age, I'd pay to see the fight.
Riddick Bowe wasted what little talent he had by refusing to leave the table. He had probablly the greatest trainer ever in Eddie Pappa Smurf Futch yet still wouldnt conform. The only fighter he beat was Evander Holyfield mainly because he was so much bigger than him.
Bowe was always scared Chitless of Lennox Lewis he'd never ever fight him. Also he is the only fighter I've known that wouldnt sign his name for a paraplegic unless he got $10.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
i wish i had 100 million. i would pay him to beat up vitali and make him lose 2 eyes and then ko riddick bowe too

·
8,579 Posts
Lennox meant what he said he'd beat up Bowe for nothin'.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
if lennox was serious about coming back he'd be talking about the klits, and not bowe.

and, you're right about lennox meaning what he said about bowe....he really doesn't like him.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Nothing more disrespectful in boxing than throwing your belt in the bin rather than face your nemesis. lol.

Lewis would of destroyed him.

·
8,579 Posts
Bruno would have knocked out Bowe

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Riddick Bowe wasted what little talent he had by refusing to leave the table. He had probablly the greatest trainer ever in Eddie Pappa Smurf Futch yet still wouldnt conform. The only fighter he beat was Evander Holyfield mainly because he was so much bigger than him.
Bowe was always scared Chitless of Lennox Lewis he'd never ever fight him. Also he is the only fighter I've known that wouldnt sign his name for a paraplegic unless he got $10.
Couple years ago at a card show in Burbank, I sent my son up to Bowe for an autograph. He signed with no problem. Even took a picture with him. No charge.

·
8,579 Posts
Maybe then he was searching for attention he was long past his best days.
The way he asked for $10 was disgusting, he was at a black tie dinner as a guest of honor. 5 course dinner and a suite in the Wyndham Anatole in Dallas.
All he had to do was sign a few pics. He was the only one that didnt have any pics to sign, shows how interested he was.Bowe refused to sign his name for the poor kid unless he got paid Lennox sent him signed pics and other memorabelia willingly shows the differnce huh

1 - 20 of 22 Posts