Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, get your tissues out, I know this one will bring a tear to many an eye. The real "The Rocket", and I'm not talking about Roger Clemens, Gary Lockett may retire. His trainer Enzo Calzaghe hinted at that in an interview with Setanta Sports News, saying "I’m happy with Gary. He’s having a well deserved rest. He’ll come back next week and we’ll have a chinwag together. It’s not like he’s walking away because he’s 31 years-old and at the end of the day there’s more to life than boxing. I hate the word quitting, but if he wants to do something else he has my blessing and if he wants to stay on board he’s got my blessing. Come next week we’ll sit down and talk things over." This could be a potentially devastating loss for boxing as the welfare of the sport is resting on the Welsh fighter's shoulders. I, for one, am just glad that I was able to witness what could have been his last bout. It's just a bummer that his overzealous trainer prematurely stopped the fight when he was in perfect position to score a unanimous decision win. He just needed a few rounds to warm up and to take a few knees to settle his nerves. We're talking about one of the all-time greats here. Thank you Gary for all that you have given to us as fight fans.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
even though i knew he was never gonna beat pavlik, well i never saw one of his fights, but i still knew, he is still a fighter and i respect him for going in the ring when we all knew he was gonna get killed by pavlik.

but yeah he won't be missed espcailly since i aint seen none of his fights lol. even the pavlik one :p

·
Registered
229 Posts
That fact that when you think of "The Rocket" as Roger Clemens outside of Boxing shows you need a life change as well.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
If it wasnt for Pavlik hitting him with a dozen lucky shots Gary would have cleaned out the middleweight division. And **** that ref for ruling as knockdowns, a blind man would've saw that he slipped. Enzo is an idiot he prematurely stopped the fight when The Rocket was going to get up from his slip and ko Pavlik, he knew this but he didnt want ruin Joe's payday, Enzo is a traitor. We miss you Gary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
All was going alone fine till Enzo deceited to blow his nose a little too hard and the towel went flying out his hands, oh well se la vie ....

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
That fact that when you think of "The Rocket" as Roger Clemens outside of Boxing shows you need a life change as well.
Are you being rude? I can't really read your sentence correctly due to lack of punctuation.
If it wasnt for Pavlik hitting him with a dozen lucky shots Gary would have cleaned out the middleweight division. And **** that ref for ruling as knockdowns, a blind man would've saw that he slipped. Enzo is an idiot he prematurely stopped the fight when The Rocket was going to get up from his slip and ko Pavlik, he knew this but he didnt want ruin Joe's payday, Enzo is a traitor. We miss you Gary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(
Tommy is that you?:laugh:

G

·
Lockett never liked boxing anyway. But I must say, he's dissappointed me to the point of taking all his posters down from my walls. :rolleyes::D

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Lockett never liked boxing anyway. But I must say, he's dissappointed me to the point of taking all his posters down from my walls. :D
:laugh: :thumbsup:

Must be a REALLY small room :D

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
(sniff,sniff) I really liked the guy...what I'll miss most is that growl on his face he brought to the ring.....it was really cute.:D

seriously though, he got his shot, his biggest payday, and now it's time to get out.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
(sniff,sniff) I really liked the guy...what I'll miss most is that growl on his face he brought to the ring.....it was really cute.:D

seriously though, he got his shot, his biggest payday, and now it's time to get out.
To go along with his biggest ass beating

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Tommy is that you?:laugh:
No, it's Hec, I'm back, I just got a little emotional, things like that happen when a legend retires, he fought with such a passion, he will be missed:rolleyes:.

hahaha that shitt had me crackin up, at the press conference, weigh in, especially during the ring walk, the introductions, even during the fight, he had it on so long I thought that was his normal face. I noticed he didnt have it at the end of the fight Pavlik mustve knocked it off.:laugh:

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
Lockett is just another example of a over hyped european fighter that was undefeated for X amount of years and goes to america and gets crushed...

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Lockett is just another example of a over hyped european fighter that was undefeated for X amount of years and goes to america and gets crushed...
no one hyped him up. i mean i don't even know who he is. maybe because he was never on any under cards he had to fight crap club fighters and that's why he has a good record.

there are plenty of good europeans out there but there are lots of crap fighters who have no one good to fight and thus keep fighting bums just for the sake of fighting. that's how their records get inflated. the uk only has like 600 pro's or something so i can see how the quality is not in depth.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
LMAO....this is my personal favourite after the fight with Tsarenko (24-19 :laugh: )

But yeah, I can see why Joe is ducking Pavlik after he took care of Lockett. :rolleyes:
ouch first pic i saw. was his defence really shit? lool

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.