Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bin told i have a good short jab,but i need to work on my long range jab,any tips.i am only 5,7 so am good inside but not so good with the taller guys.OR sould i work on what am good at.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
:laugh: i'm sorry..but theres no such thing as a long ranged jab and a short ranged jab. You either have the length of a long jab or a length of a short jab. The way you're saying it is that you don't even extend your arm out if you have a "short jab" the way you said it. Theres no way to extend your jab out more than it is already.

·
Registered
15 Posts
what the person might mean is that you either have a quick jab, (quick = short) or that you can throw your lead hand straight with a fair amount of power, even over a short distance. Neither of these are really bad things but if you want to get the maximum effectiveness of your jab, its good to use your full range, otherwise you'll find yourself in far too close to a guy just to get a straight lead to connect.
If it were me, i'd practice on the bag first by extending my arm to what my maximum jab range would be from my stand (don't lock your elbow because that's not a good range then unless you tend to step with your jabs then MAYBE) but then work on throwing them from that distance until they start feeling comfortable. Eventually, start working it into combinations so that the new range doesn't throw those off either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
rotate ur hips.. when u rotate ur hips, the shoulders will follow.. giving u a farther ranged jab without leaning too far forward out of ur center of gravity.. hope this helps..

·
Registered
841 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Gee, thanks for letting us know how to throw a jab......
Notice how it was an old thread, resurrected thrice by new members. For absolutely no purpose. :facepalm:

·
Registered
841 Posts
I just looked at the rest of his daily comments, their all simply generic textbook responses. It's all about getting that link under his posts' out in the open. Spammer.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I just looked at the rest of his daily comments, their all simply generic textbook responses. It's all about getting that link under his posts' out in the open. Spammer.
I thought the same thing too. Trying to sell his book there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you want to learn to use the jab, watch Winky Wright.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts