Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oscar De La Hoya has set the date for his anticipated return, May 3. He would like to face Ricky Hatton at Dodgers Stadium, should Hatton upset Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Dec. 8 in Las Vegas.

Now that undefeated WBA welterweight champion Miguel Cotto has defeated his Golden Boy Promotions partner Shane Mosley, De La Hoya has a new dance partner should Hatton lose.

De La Hoya tells New York Newsday that he saw a lot of holes in Cotto's game that Mosley was unable to capitalize on. He feels that Cotto has not become a bigger star than fellow Puerto Rican fighter Felix Trinidad, but he stands a chance to do so if he fights the right opponent.

"I don't know how popular Cotto can become. I don't know if he can surpass the popularity of a [Felix] Trinidad. Not yet, I don't think. It all depends on the opponent," De La Hoya said. "I saw a lot of vulnerability in Cotto the other night, a lot of things that I can take advantage of. Even more than usual. I saw a whole bunch of things I would have done differently than Shane."

De La Hoya told the paper that he still favors Ricky Hatton for his next fight (should he beat Mayweather) and does not have Cotto as the frontrunner, but he appeared to take heavy notes during Cotto's performance against Mosley and seems to have an early battle plan laid out.

"I noticed Cotto doesn't like pressure. When Shane pressed him, he backed off. And when Shane was on his toes and used his jab, Cotto was completely locked up. He relies too heavily on his left hook, because his right hand is not that impressive. And when you hit him to the body, he bends down and he's wide open for uppercuts," De La Hoya said.

When asked why Hatton was the frontrunner, De La Hoya said he's got a good feeling that Hatton will win, and a meeting with Hatton is a much bigger fight, especially if he beats Mayweather.

"I have a good feeling Hatton is going to win," De La Hoya said. "And that would be a huge international attraction."

·
Registered
349 Posts
De La Hoya is on Crack .. Mayweather is not losing to Hatton .. and Cotto will beat De La Hoya .. who cares bout him anymore.. I want to see up and coming fighters...Just like Jones Vs Trinidad .. I could care less who wins .. its only for Jones/Trini's Pockets ..

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'd say if Delahoya wants you, you've been insulted. :p Cotto's invincibility has been shattered after he ran for 4 rounds.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Lol .. I agree on that though, but I would still go with Cotto ALL DAY in that fight ..

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think cotto got tired, but i think he knocks out delahoya and everyone else in the divison besides mayweather with a body shot. Mosley is one tough SOB!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Rayman said:
I'd say if Delahoya wants you, you've been insulted. :p Cotto's invincibility has been shattered after he ran for 4 rounds.
hey! what fight was you watching? cause the only one running was mosley....

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cotto did back peddle but he won the 9th, 11th and 12th round in my mind and did it my counterpunching mosley, how many people can say they did that. HBO kept saying that something wa swrong with cotto in the 9th round I believe, and all and in all cotto was the one landing the punches and i even gave him that round clearly. The 11th round was dominated by cotto. the 12th was a toss up and i gave it to the champion because in my mind, if theres an even round, you give it to the champion because the challeneger is the one who should be trying to win the championship belt. But i still think cotto did a little more than mosley in the 12th round.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Unless Mosley KILLED Cotto in 12 Rounds they always seem to give it to the Champion .. if it is a close fight .. and it wasnt obvious who won they always lean tword the Champion .. I didnt see the fight soo I have no idea how close it really was ..

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I noticed Cotto doesn't like pressure. When Shane pressed him, he backed off.
He managed to fight going backwards and counter Shane effectively.

And when Shane was on his toes and used his jab, Cotto was completely locked up
Miguel outjabbed Shane.

He relies too heavily on his left hook, because his right hand is not that impressive
He landed more right hands than left hooks.

And when you hit him to the body, he bends down and he's wide open for uppercuts
Shane landed like 4 or 5 uppercuts all night.

I don't know what fight Oscar was watching. I think he needs publicity cause he's not in the spotlight anymore. I don't see any other reason why he would criticize a man who beat him twice.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
AUDI99 said:
hey! what fight was you watching? cause the only one running was mosley....
I expected Mosely to show some "good footwork" is what I'll call it :)..., but when Cotto back peddled in those last rounds I was shocked to see it, I think the commentators were too, It really did look like something was wrong with him. Shane was actually chasing him, I really admired that. But perhaps he didn't do enough to take the early rounds, and as was stated above, you have to take the belt from the champion.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To me i just saw it as cotto showing his versatility. I think cottos handspeed and defense greatly improved in this fight. He's getting better. Respect that!

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
I agree Lance, he looked very good against a HOF'er.

He's the real deal. And I also think he would beat Oscar. If Hopkins can KO DLH to the body, you know Cotto can. (yes I know they are different weight classes, but DLH woul dhave to come down a bit, prolly 154 catch weight)

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Cotto changed his tactics. He knew that he couldn't KO mosley and he felt he had the fight won so he chose to box and move. I wasn't surprised cause he did it before against Lovemore N'dou.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Good move for DLH

Well its time for the Flaming to start.
Cotto gets hurt a lot.
If you have the Cotto fights you can re-watch them and you will notice that every time he gets really hurt he runs backward from one rope to the next, he actually squares up and takes side steps and bounces of the rope and continues to go all around the ring until he can recover.
That’s what he did in the last few rounds.

DLH must have been watching all of the Cotto fights recently and picked it up when he saw Cotto do it again against Shane.

And DLH is on the money with Cotto leaning over a lot, Shane landed “a” Good upper cut and ZAB almost to Cotto’s head off with an upper cut.

And I love the way DLH doesn’t even consider the Sprinter for a possible fight, GOOD JOB DLH.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How can anyoen hate on miguel cotto? he's a throwback fighter for real and delivers teh goods every time and always finds a way to win. He stood in there with a bigger guy , a faster guy and a harder punching guy supposably and won.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
TysonJones said:
How can anyoen hate on miguel cotto? he's a throwback fighter for real and delivers teh goods every time and always finds a way to win. He stood in there with a bigger guy , a faster guy and a harder punching guy supposably and won.
After this fight with SSM there isn't a reason to hate on Cotto.
Cotto is now the man to beat at 147. All others are second to him.
Go Cotto
.:thumbsup:

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
daveDaboxingfan said:
Well its time for the Flaming to start.
Cotto gets hurt a lot.
If you have the Cotto fights you can re-watch them and you will notice that every time he gets really hurt he runs backward from one rope to the next, he actually squares up and takes side steps and bounces of the rope and continues to go all around the ring until he can recover.
That’s what he did in the last few rounds.

DLH must have been watching all of the Cotto fights recently and picked it up when he saw Cotto do it again against Shane.

And DLH is on the money with Cotto leaning over a lot, Shane landed “a” Good upper cut and ZAB almost to Cotto’s head off with an upper cut.

And I love the way DLH doesn’t even consider the Sprinter for a possible fight, GOOD JOB DLH.
Sorry, but watch it again Dave. Initially, yes he was avoiding Mosley and reatreating(after he got buzzed). The rounds after that he simply used his counterpunching with his movement backwards and side to side because it was working very well. He wasnt hurt and running after the initial buzz he got.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts