Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This fight will be for the WBO Crusierweight title vacated by David Haye. Former titleholder Enzo Maccarinelli (28-2, 21 KOs), coming off a second-round knockout loss to Haye, will face Johnathon Banks (20-0, 14 KOs), who is trained and managed by Emanuel Steward. A purse bid is scheduled for Tuesday.

This could be a real good fight, it does have me asking myself this question, is there no such thing of earning your way back to a title shot? The answer is: NO.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Banks is decent. I'm not really that big on him. I think he's a little overrated. Good thing for him he's facing a chin less C level fighter in Maccarinelli. Should be an easy night for Banks.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Here's a recent interview :

-from Netboxe

Cunningham : "David Haye beat an old man"
Mormeck answers. He tells about his goal, Adamek, Haye, Cunningham, G.Jones.

Since he lost his unified titles (WBC-WBA), against David Haye on november, Jean-Marc Mormeck hadn't given an interview. He just gave an interview about his career and boxing, a sport he still loves.

NB : Have you started to train ?
JMM : Not really, I don't go to the gym. But I run every day.

NB : No more health problems ?
JMM : I had a surgery for my left hand. Now I am fine.

NB : You were the unified champion, how do you feel as a challenger looking for a world title shot ?
JMM : Maybe it's not justice but it's boxing. In fact it's just a question of negociation. Everything is possible with a negociation.

NB : Are you with Don King ?
JMM : I can't answer cause we are still in negociation. Wait and see.

NB : When will you be back in the ring ?
JMM : October or november.

NB : Do you have a plan for your come back, the name of an opponent, an option to become challenger for a world title ?
JMM : I will target an option to be closer of a shot to the IBF title. I want to obtain this title I never held.

NB : Who will work with you for your next fight ?
JMM : The same staff but not the same trainer. Ritchie Giachetti it's over.

NB : Have you watched David Haye vs Enzo Maccarinelli ?
JMM : Yes but in my opinion there was no fight. Maccarinelli was too much scared.

NB : Haye left the titles to go at HW, are you surprised you are not the cochallenger for some federation ?
JMM : Honestly, yes ! I am surprised, but they must have their reasons. I will do everything to fight for a world title as soon as possible.

NB : Would you like a rematch against Haye ?
JMM : Of course. I think I deserved it. I gave him his chance, he was nearly KOed in the 4th... I was beaten on a single punch but I was ahead on points. I would even be ready to go at HW for this rematch.

NB : What happened in this fight ?
JMM : I still wonder.

NB : You were exhausted early
JMM : First against Haye, I was not completely exhausted. I had a plan to keep energy for the last 3 rounds. The fight didn't last so long. Against Bell I was exhausted but I had given the rythm of the fight and I proved I was able to finish a fight being exhausted. I think I am still able to last 12 rounds against everyone at cruiser, I have already proven that but future will tell.

NB : Boxers from eastern Europe come at cruiser...
JMM : Yes, that's true, it's possible for them to obtain the titles cause they are hungry. But I am still there.

NB : What do you think about Adamek, will he beat Cunningham ?
JMM : I haven't watched Adamek vs Bell, but from what I read, Adamek is very good. But I don't know him enough to give my opinion about a fight Cunningham vs Adamek.

NB : Cunningham said Haye had beaten an old man... He mentionned he was your sparring partner in South Africa and that you were not able to follow the rythm !
JMM : That is what he says. Cunningham is a titleholder but he is still unknown and he does not interest anyone. Proof is that Haye didn't fight him to obtain the 3 main belts. It says much about his status.
I will tell you what happened in South Africa. Before the Hill fight I had problems with the altitude in the beginning. But what he forgot to mention is that he was often in trouble and that he was hurt several times. He quit the camp. He had a clash with his trainer cause he didn't want to enter the ring with me anymore telling my combinations had hurt him.

NB : The IBF title is your goal but the WBA (Arslan) or the WBC (Kraj or Fragomeni) wouldn't be easier to obtain ?
JMM : I don't think of that, I want to obtain a title I never obtained. Cunningham and me know very well each other. There will be no surprise for us in the ring. I know he is a difficult opponent, he is very mobile and very fast, he has a good jab and an excellent stamina but I know what to do to beat him. I think I will be able to do that, I just have to be fully prepared.

NB : Arslan, the WBA champion, has to fight his official challenger Guillermo Jones, what do you think of that fight ?
JMM : I don't know well Arslan but I know very well Guillermo Jones. He was my sparring partner many times, he is a complete boxer and a lefty, it's not easy to box him. He can punch. In my opinion he was robbed against Cunningham.

NB : Do you think you are still one of the best cruiser ?
JMM : Before the Haye fight I was the unified champion and the number 1 of the division. I was beaten. But I was not dominated. Compare with Maccarinelli who was in the top 5. He was destroyed. I don't see why I wouldn't be be ranked in the top 5.

NB : Seems the fight with Tiozzo is canceled, are you still interested ?
JMM : Yes I am still interested. But he has to be serious, he has to be ready. I am still under the cruiser limit, he is over 220. But main problem is that nobody wants to pay for that fight.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
I think Mormeck is done. His wars with O'Neil Bell took a lot out of him. The Haye knock out didn't help

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He's been really gassed in every single fight I've seen him in nothing would make me think he wouldnt get gassed, if ever there was a boxer that needed a conditioning coach he is it.

He has a good hometown advantage everytime he fights though, since the French blatanly cheated in the 2nd Bell fight and ended rounds early, one of them ended a minute before it was supposed to.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Banks looked horrible on the Wlad - Thompson undercard. Im rolling with Macca in this one.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Banks will be lucky to see 4 rounds with Enzo.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Macca is half decent, banks is horrible. Macca looked bad against the best CW in the world. Banks looked horrible against a can, i mean Banks could hardly stand on his own two legs after his last fight he was so tired.

Macca by mid round tko for me, im willing to put all my points on it when the fight happens.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Macca is half decent, banks is horrible. Macca looked bad against the best CW in the world. Banks looked horrible against a can, i mean Banks could hardly stand on his own two legs after his last fight he was so tired.

Macca by mid round tko for me, im willing to put all my points on it when the fight happens.
Remind me and we'll do it

·
Banned
25,672 Posts

Yeah, Banks looked horrible against a C level fighter, many thought he lost.

He was rocked too and that italian guy is hardly a puncher. Enzo will smash him to peices.

In the words of Hopkins - It'll be an old school execution. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts