Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manny Pacquiao vs Amir Khan in November - Your thoughts?

31-year-old Southpaw David Diaz (34-1-1) looks like the next likely opponent for Manny Pacquiao and the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Las Vegas the venue. On the line would be Diaz WBC Welterweight title.

Frank Warren plans to have Amir Khan gain some more experience before a proposed World title shot and according to Bob Arum if PacMan is successful at winning the WBC belt he could then defend against Amir Khan in November.

Here are some recent quotes from Bob Arum on the matter:

“Assuming Manny is successful (beating Diaz), and he wants to stay at lightweight, then we’d look to Nate Campbell (IBF/WBO/WBA lightweight champ), Joel Casamayor (WBO interim lightweight champ) or Amir Khan (WBO Intercontinental lightweight champ and 2004 Olympic silver medalist from England),” Arum said.

Bob Arum on a venue and negotiations for a PacMan vs Khan fight:

“Yes, Frank (Warren) and I have had discussions about this,” Arum said. “No one is looking past David Diaz defending the WBC crown against Manny in Las Vegas as that is a tough fight against a tough guy. David has the same pride, the same fighting heart as all the Mexican guys and you know they get supercharged in fighting Pacman."

“But we have to look down the line past June 28 and we have discussed this for Dubai,” Arum said. “Logistically, it looks good for November. I understand there are one millon Pinoys who are OFWs in the Middle East. It doesn’t hurt that Khan is a highly-regarded young man who is a devout Muslim and who won Olympic gold for Great Britain. Most of the tourists who go to Dubai come from the UK"
----------------------

By November Amir Khan could have had 3 more fights, so would he be ready to face Manny Pacquiao?

Would Frank Warren agree to let Khan face the man some regard as the World's best fighter at this early stage of his career?

Should Amir Khan(17-0-0) take the risk and the chance to somersault to the top of the pound for pound rankings against the vastly more experienced but smaller PacMan (46-3-2)?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
WOW!¨!!! talk about throwing somone in the deep end of the pool! Well forget that if this happens Warren is really throwing him into the ocean.

And to answer the question about taking risks and stuff i say lets do it!! This is what boxing is all about :D lets throw the kid in there and lets see if its just hype or if the kid can hang with the best in the buisness. If he loses pffff so what he lost to one of the best p4p fighters in the world and hed gain some experiance.

·
Registered
424 Posts
its hard to tell really how hard of a fight this would be for Khan. I think it all depends on how Manny looks in the new weight class.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
IMO Khan would be to big and to powerfull for Pacman.

·
Registered
624 Posts
i agree khan would be too big and powerful- but i think it will come down to experience? and can khan at such a young age hang in the ring with the mighty pac-man! my heart says yes but my heads telling me maybe not!

would love to see it though! but its too soon to say!

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
It could make big bucks in the UK, Khan is a real mainstream star over here. But i think he looks for Casamayor, Campbell or a third Marquez fight.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
The more and more I think of it let this fight happen. If Khan loses he lost to one of the best. If he wins he proves that he will potentially be the best. Hell, let it happen. Who cares? I'll watch it and scream obscneities just like I do for every fight.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The more and more I think of it let this fight happen. If Khan lsoes he lsot to one of the best. If he wins he proves that he will potentially be the ebst. Hell, let it happen. Who cares? I'll watch it and scream obscneities just like I do for every fight.
couldn't agree more!

i say stick gamboa and khan in together and see what happens!

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
I want to see Khan vs Kevin Mitchell this year.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Gamboa would get iced by Khan at 135, he's just not big enough.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I agree with Tommy. Gamboa should be down at 126 anyways.

Pacquiao is not going to fight Khan. That's it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Good fight thats for sure. Pacquiao has some dynamite for sure but Khan is just bigger. Hopefully Manny wins his next fight and he can fight anyone of those guys. Cause those are all awsome fights.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
I think id make the trip out to Dubai if Khan and Pacman gets made there like its saying, i took my ex there when we got engaged and its freakin awesome.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
That new hotel out there is amazing. I've seen it on some special on the discovery channel. The way they are literally creating land is amazing. Dubai is amazing.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts