Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Promoter Bob Arum is always busy these day and has just recently penciled March 15 as the return date for Manny Pacquiao’s 2008 debut. There have been many names tossed around as to who Pacquiao may fight next. Recently quoted by the Manila Bulletin, Arum spoke of Mexican fighter David Diaz as being Pacquiao's next possible opponent.

Quoted by the publication, Arum stated: "If Manny decides to fight as a lightweight, (World Boxing Council lightweight
champion) David Diaz is available as he has already come to terms with us."

Arum also notied in the publication that a Manny Pacquiao vs David Diaz duel will be showcased in Las Vegas.

Arum who works alongside Oscar De La Hoya in promoting Pacquiao have been getting along well.

In regards with working with Golden Boy Promotions, Arum stated: "We are getting along well."

Arum indicated that the Diaz fight is not set in stone, saying Pacquiao and his trainer Freddie Roach will have the final say on the choice of opponent.

"It’s up to Manny and (trainer) Freddie (Roach) and I will talk with Freddie tomorrow about this,"
said Arum.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Going after the weakest titlist, smart move by Manny i think. Il let him off since it would be his first fight at 135. If he stays at 130 he HAS to fight Guzman/Soto or JMM, if he moves up D. Diaz is a good start, but after that he has to fight Katsidis, J. Diaz or Casamayor.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
i think manny will make the move after fighting marquez because there's more money to be made. for whatever reason, arum seems to be against his fighters fighting rematches boxing fans really want. first he wanted to "86" pavlik/taylor and he's trying to do the same with pac/jmm. should anything be read into that?

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes we should read into it alot. He is a promoter his job is to make fights and if he wants to be a great promoter he needs to make great fights. Witch he dont want to do. He is 1 of the many thats holding boxing back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts