Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While many will wonder why, Marco Antonio Barrera is still interested in facing Manny Pacquiao for a third time. Pacquiao owns two wins over Barrera, and neither fight was close. The first meeting in 2003 saw Pacquiao demolish Barrera for a ten-round stoppage. The 2007 rematch went the distance, but Pacquiao won a clear decision with very little resistance along the way. He also wants a return duel with Juan Manuel Marquez, who won a close decision over Barrera last March.

Barrera retired after the loss to Pacquiao and later announced that he was looking for a big fighter in 2008. Speaking with 411 Mania, Barrera said that he doesn't want to return for an easy fight, he wants a credible opponent with Pacquiao being one of the names mentioned.

"I don't want to return just to return. If Golden Boy Promotions gives me some interesting options against marquee names, or a third fight with Pacquiao, then I'm all for it. But if it's just about taking on an opponent who's there to lay down, then I won't even think about coming back," Barrera said.

If Pacquiao is not available, he would be willing to fight with Marquez. Following his loss to Marquez, Barrera protested the decision. He wants to set the record straight.

"A fight with Pacquiao is certainly one that gets me worked up but we'll have to see what his plans are and against Juan Manuel Marquez, that would be another good one, though it's too bad that he lost against Manny which I felt was a draw and I was at ringside screaming my lungs out when he had him on the verge of a knockout. Marquez could've knocked him out."

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I don't really have a problem with Barrera returning, unlike Morales i think he'd still be an elite fighter at 130lbs. With Pacquiao moved up i don't think there's anyone that would dominate Barrera like he has.

A return fight with Marquez would IMO be a good fight for both, it could be for the WBC belt if Pacquiao relinquishes soon.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldnt like to see him fight Pac either but Id like to see him fight JMM again and possibly some names at 135.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I don't really have a problem with Barrera returning, unlike Morales i think he'd still be an elite fighter at 130lbs. With Pacquiao moved up i don't think there's anyone that would dominate Barrera like he has.

A return fight with Marquez would IMO be a good fight for both, it could be for the WBC belt if Pacquiao relinquishes soon.
I agree but i don't think Barrera beats Marquez at this point , i think he would in his prime but not know.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree but i don't think Barrera beats Marquez at this point , i think he would in his prime but not know.
I dont know about that. I thought that MAB won the first fight.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Yeah alot of people scored the fight for Barrera, i think i had it for Marquez by a whisker though. Barrera looked very good against JMM IMO, and i didn't really see a shot fighter when he fought Pac either; i saw a fighter who was scarred from a dominating stoppage loss and was happy to just last the distance.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah alot of people scored the fight for Barrera, i think i had it for Marquez by a whisker though. Barrera looked very good against JMM IMO, and i didn't really see a shot fighter when he fought Pac either; i saw a fighter who was scarred from a dominating stoppage loss and was happy to just last the distance.
You know what I saw the exact samething. It really looked like he didnt want to get knocked out and he was happy with lossing and going the distance. I think if he fought him now he might have a different state of mind.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Hell, throw him in at 135 against Katsidis. I guarantee he will never enter a ring again after Micahel demolishes his over the hill a**.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hell, throw him in at 135 against Katsidis. I guarantee he will never enter a ring again after Micahel demolishes his over the hill a**.
Id watch that fight and I'll be watching Michael get taught a lesson in boxing (again)

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts

That fight would be pretty good and competitive. Barrera is not physically shot but he doesn't seem to be as hungry as before. That would the biggest money making opportunity for Marquez because Pac is already scheduled to fight. I can see that.

Id watch that fight and I'll be watching Michael get taught a lesson in boxing (again)
Katsidis would get busted up real bad.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea people cant sleep on MAB

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I dont know about that. I thought that MAB won the first fight.
I did too, even with the BS point deduction that caused a two point swing. I had Barerra by a point I think. Barerra can still box at a high level. I would favor JMM in the rematch I think due to Barerra being inactive.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did too, even with the BS point deduction that caused a two point swing. I had Barerra by a point I think. Barerra can still box at a high level. I would favor JMM in the rematch I think due to Barerra being inactive.
Thats very much understood.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts

I have a feeling Katsidis will face Casa again. I also feel he will beat him in a rematch. You ahve to remember that Casamayor has an ego from hell. He thinks Katsidis is an easy fight now and in a rematch he will get beat.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a feeling Katsidis will face Casa again. I also feel he will beat him in a rematch. You ahve to remember that Casamayor has an ego from hell. He thinks Katsidis is an easy fight now and in a rematch he will get beat.
Why in the world would they have a rematch.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Why is the world would they have a rematch.
If you had paid attention to any of the threads you would recall that in Spetember there will be a lightweight double header with the winners squaring off in the future.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you had paid attention to any of the threads you would recall that in Spetember there will be a lightweight double header with the winners squaring off in the future.
I was paying attention and I do know that. But you need to pay some a read my question befor answering. Im asking why would Casa and Michael fight each other next? What sense does that make. They just fought. I understand that they could fight again in the future witch is fine but a immediate rematch is stupid.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Personalty I don't think Katsidis beats Jesus Chavez

1 - 20 of 32 Posts