Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following is an excerpt from dougie fischer's mailbag on the Ring website.
Dougie's Mini-Mail bag
"""""I think many fans and members of the media jumped the gun with their “disappointment” or criticism of Margarito when it looked like the Mosley bout
would not happen. Margarito has always shown a willingness to take on the toughest fighters, even when he probably should have waited (an example is when he backed out of his first scheduled showdown with Miguel Cotto last year in order to defend his WBO title vs. a then-32-0 Paul Williams). I recall getting inundated with snotty emails from Floyd Mayweather Jr. fans (and from a few jerky East Coast boxing writers who thought Margarito was garbage) when it appeared that Margarito would bypass his WBO mandatory in favor of a Cotto showdown. They said he was a hypocrite. They said he was afraid. They said I was a hypocrite for not criticizing Margarito the way I had criticized Mayweather for turning down $8 million to fight the Mexican Mauler in late 2006.

But here was the difference: I didn’t start getting on Mayweather’s case until after two and half years of him taking on second-tier fighters (Ndou, Sosa,
Corley and Bruseles) while boasting that he was the best that ever laced on a pair of gloves. It looked like Margarito might not fight Williams and Mosley for all of two or three WEEKS and everybody couldn’t wait to ridicule him. Hey folks, how about we actually allow him to wuss out of a fight before we call him a wuss? Are the same boxing columnists who gave Margarito crap for not accepting $2 million to fight Mosley now going to give him credit for taking the fight for a little more money?

And was Margarito, the guy with the world title and the fighter who has posted better PPV numbers and sold more tickets lately than Mr. Mosley, really out of line for not wanting to split the purse 50-50 with his challenger?""""""

Alot of us want to talk about how margarito is being a hypocrite and the haters wanted to laugh and point fingers. I think dougie does a great job of explaining the differences here. How do we all feel about the split between mosley and marg? Was it appropriate for marg to command more than 50/50? Is what margarito did equivalent to what money did? Did fans jump the gun too quickly?

There is a reason, to me anyways, that margarito is the most exciting fighter in the game.
His style is the MOST fan friendly of any fighter in the game today(he appeals to more casual fans because of his physical style). His penchant for taking on the biggest challenges throughout his whole career should be an inspiration to the Roy's and Floyd's of the world.

It's true that Marg was not blessed with the athleticism and hand speed of certain guys, but he was blessed with one thing, heart.

And that is why we should ALL support him, irregardless of how you feel about him.

Reactions: C.J.Rock

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Always enjoy Doug's reads. He tells it how it is and is usually spot on.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Margarito will end the career of Sugar Shane Mosley, mostly because the time and circumstances favor him at this time in both of their careers, Mosley will defenetly give it one hell of a shot , but unfortunatley for him he's not a spring chiken any more, Afterwards Maragarito will have to wait once again for his just $$$$$$ do, that opportunity will come in the person of Kelly Pavlick, Paul Williams or Andre Berto as it is absurdly ovious that the golden BOY will never submitt himself to the physical demands a fight against him would bring....

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
The following is an excerpt from dougie fischer's mailbag on the Ring website.
Dougie's Mini-Mail bag
"""""I think many fans and members of the media jumped the gun with their “disappointment” or criticism of Margarito when it looked like the Mosley bout
would not happen. Margarito has always shown a willingness to take on the toughest fighters, even when he probably should have waited (an example is when he backed out of his first scheduled showdown with Miguel Cotto last year in order to defend his WBO title vs. a then-32-0 Paul Williams). I recall getting inundated with snotty emails from Floyd Mayweather Jr. fans (and from a few jerky East Coast boxing writers who thought Margarito was garbage) when it appeared that Margarito would bypass his WBO mandatory in favor of a Cotto showdown. They said he was a hypocrite. They said he was afraid. They said I was a hypocrite for not criticizing Margarito the way I had criticized Mayweather for turning down $8 million to fight the Mexican Mauler in late 2006.

But here was the difference: I didn’t start getting on Mayweather’s case until after two and half years of him taking on second-tier fighters (Ndou, Sosa,
Corley and Bruseles) while boasting that he was the best that ever laced on a pair of gloves. It looked like Margarito might not fight Williams and Mosley for all of two or three WEEKS and everybody couldn’t wait to ridicule him. Hey folks, how about we actually allow him to wuss out of a fight before we call him a wuss? Are the same boxing columnists who gave Margarito crap for not accepting $2 million to fight Mosley now going to give him credit for taking the fight for a little more money?

And was Margarito, the guy with the world title and the fighter who has posted better PPV numbers and sold more tickets lately than Mr. Mosley, really out of line for not wanting to split the purse 50-50 with his challenger?""""""

Alot of us want to talk about how margarito is being a hypocrite and the haters wanted to laugh and point fingers. I think dougie does a great job of explaining the differences here. How do we all feel about the split between mosley and marg? Was it appropriate for marg to command more than 50/50? Is what margarito did equivalent to what money did? Did fans jump the gun too quickly?

There is a reason, to me anyways, that margarito is the most exciting fighter in the game.
His style is the MOST fan friendly of any fighter in the game today(he appeals to more casual fans because of his physical style). His penchant for taking on the biggest challenges throughout his whole career should be an inspiration to the Roy's and Floyd's of the world.

It's true that Marg was not blessed with the athleticism and hand speed of certain guys, but he was blessed with one thing, heart.

And that is why we should ALL support him, irregardless of how you feel about him.
Great post Banky Put the hearts of Prima donna , Delahoya and jones together you wouldnt get 25% of Margarito's heart:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
My opinion is i dont fault any fighter that tries to take the highest $$$ for a fight.Boxing isnt like the other pro sports with a union and retirement plan.Once you stop fighting,you usually stop making money(Delahoya an obvious exception).Look at how many of the great fighters went broke 5-10 years after they stoppes boxing because their standard of living was to high and the cashflow from boxing was no longer rolling in.Also,this is a blood sport.For getting punched in mouth you should take the opportunity to cash in.Hell! If your going to end up like Ali,Hearns,Holyfield or Frazier you might as well be able to live comfortably from an economic standpoint despite the brain damage your going to have to live with the rest of your life.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Great post Banky Put the hearts of Prima donna , Delahoya and jones together you wouldnt get 25% of Margarito's heart:thumbsup:

Ok, I'll bite. I've got to stop you there. Who did Delahoya ever turn down? He's consistently fough the top guys out there throughout his career. He never gave up in a fight either, so I think your claim is baseless and not very well thought through. Maybe your just extremely overexaggerating, or perhaps your serious. Either way, I call BS on that.

Maragrito does have heart, you'll get no argument out of me on that one. He's a tough hombre and an exciting fighter to watch. I know you don't like any of the fighters you listed above, and that's fine, but thats a bit of a rediculous statement, no ?

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Ok, I'll bite. I've got to stop you there. Who did Delahoya ever turn down? He's consistently fough the top guys out there throughout his career. He never gave up in a fight either, so I think your claim is baseless and not very well thought through. Maybe your just extremely overexaggerating, or perhaps your serious. Either way, I call BS on that.

Maragrito does have heart, you'll get no argument out of me on that one. He's a tough hombre and an exciting fighter to watch. I know you don't like any of the fighters you listed above, and that's fine, but thats a bit of a rediculous statement, no ?
Margarito is the very guy Oscar ducked LOL Oscar called out the winner of cotto-margarito but when the fight was offered Oscar couldnt fight because it would upset his mexican fans ROFL Oscar aint got any mexican fans LOL
That is the only reason I dont like those 3 I like a fighter with heart & courage who will fight anyone not the cherry picker type

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts

No-one.

Margarito is the very guy Oscar ducked LOL Oscar called out the winner of cotto-margarito but when the fight was offered Oscar couldnt fight because it would upset his mexican fans ROFL Oscar aint got any mexican fans LOL
That is the only reason I dont like those 3 I like a fighter with heart & courage who will fight anyone not the cherry picker type
Oscar ducked Margarito? LMAO :laugh::laugh:.

G

·
How can you can DLH the cherry picker type and say he lacks heart and courage? :laugh::facepalm:

I don't agree with him fighting Pacquiao but it doesn't erase the legacy he earned by fighting the best. He may have lost a little respect temporarily but he's a credit to the sport.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what do you mean bro?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmmm, mine looks fine, haven't noticed a difference.

hmmmmm.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
My opinion is i dont fault any fighter that tries to take the highest $$$ for a fight.Boxing isnt like the other pro sports with a union and retirement plan.Once you stop fighting,you usually stop making money(Delahoya an obvious exception).Look at how many of the great fighters went broke 5-10 years after they stoppes boxing because their standard of living was to high and the cashflow from boxing was no longer rolling in.Also,this is a blood sport.For getting punched in mouth you should take the opportunity to cash in.Hell! If your going to end up like Ali,Hearns,Holyfield or Frazier you might as well be able to live comfortably from an economic standpoint despite the brain damage your going to have to live with the rest of your life.
good post, dude:thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts