Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
41 - 60 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
KNUCKLE UP said:
Everyone knows who Margarito is, that's why they are ducking him. Sure he is not the most skilled boxer that ever lived, but he has power, can take a punch and throws a lot of punches. That is why he can't get a fight.
He cant get a major fight because it wont generate any money. The reason being because if you're not a major boxing fan then you dont know who Margie is.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Margarito sucks so badly that nobody decent wants to waste their time. NOBODY is scared of him at all. That is just an easy way for people to try to say other boxers are ducking him, while the truth is that he doesn't bring a damn thing to the table. He is a statue that would get hammered by and A level guy. He is b level at best. Keep loving that bum if you want.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Margarito sucks so badly that nobody decent wants to waste their time. NOBODY is scared of him at all. That is just an easy way for people to try to say other boxers are ducking him, while the truth is that he doesn't bring a damn thing to the table. He is a statue that would get hammered by and A level guy. He is b level at best. Keep loving that bum if you want.
why did mosley say last year he wasn't ready to fight a 147 guy of the caliber of tony then?

the pro's sure seem to repect him.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
prettyboywho said:
He cant get a major fight because it wont generate any money. The reason being because if you're not a major boxing fan then you dont know who Margie is.
And Floyd was well known and he couldn't generate any PPV buys before he fought DLH. What did he have like 300,000 buys his last fight? At the same time Floyd was offerd a career high 8 mil to fight Margarito and for some reason turned it down?

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Im with you on this.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
KNUCKLE UP said:
And Floyd was well known and he couldn't generate any PPV buys before he fought DLH. What did he have like 300,000 buys his last fight? At the same time Floyd was offerd a career high 8 mil to fight Margarito and for some reason turned it down?
You do have a point there but at that time I think BF was really tryong to get that Oscar fight. And he got what he wanted.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
tommygunn said:
why did mosley say last year he wasn't ready to fight a 147 guy of the caliber of tony then?

the pro's sure seem to repect him.
As a nice way to NOT fight the bum.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
KNUCKLE UP said:
Do you think that I haven't heard ALL of this before over and over and yea over again? Seriously? Same lame argument. Floyd was after Oscar, not the statue.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Do you think that I haven't heard ALL of this before over and over and yea over again? Seriously? Same lame argument. Floyd was after Oscar, not the statue.
Do you think I was even talking to you? As you can see I had a quote from PBW. So I guess that is who I was responding to.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Do you really think he doesn't know that? That seems to be everyone's favorite negative about Floyd, and it really doesn't make a case for anything.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
KNUCKLE UP said:
Further proof that you jump on Floyd at any possible time. This thread is irrelevant to Mayweather yet you throw his name in the mix to make your point.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Further proof that you jump on Floyd at any possible time. This thread is irrelevant to Mayweather yet you throw his name in the mix to make your point.
If you would read what we are talking about you would know that I'm not "jumping on Floyd." I'm making a point about Margarito and why people say he is not a draw and can't generate money. Now all of a sudden when anyone even breaths Floyds name you get bent out of shape.

·
Registered
707 Posts
yes he is fully commited to the defense of Floyd and will not tolerate any mention of Floyd's name unless is in a positive note.

Floyd is king yes Shane we know you love the guy let move on.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
KNUCKLE UP said:
If you would read what we are talking about you would know that I'm not "jumping on Floyd." I'm making a point about Margarito and why people say he is not a draw and can't generate money. Now all of a sudden when anyone even breaths Floyds name you get bent out of shape.
That is not it at all. I have been a good sport for months about Floyd. My point was that of all the people you could pick to make your point about Margarito who did you pick.

ANd window. I don't think Floyd is king I just state my opinions and although they differ from yours that does not mean that I am taking it too seriously and vice versa. I am just sharing my dissenting opinions after reading what I read. If that is a problem then I apologize for having opinions guys.

And De La Hoya would hammer Margarito.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
someone needs to put this thread to rest becuase delahoya will never gith margarito because it would be delahoya's worse ppv ever. just drop it, we know all konw who would really win the fight. old delahoy aand all.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Back to the topic at hand.

Long standing WBO welterweight champion Antonio Margarito (34-4, 24KO) will defend his title against mandatory challenger Paul Williams (32-0, 24KO) from the Home Depot Center in Carson, CA on the night of July 14th.

Margarito, who was tentatively slated to face WBA champ Miguel Cotto on June 9th, opted to face Williams instead to avoid being stripped of the title he has held for five years. The bout will be part of a HBO’s Boxing After Dark tripleheader which also includes Arturo Gatti versus the Contender’s Alfonso Gomez and Kermit Cintron against Argentina’s Walter Matthysse from the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, NJ.

The always accommodating “Tijuana Tornado” shared his thoughts with Fightnews on his upcoming bout as well as what he learned from the mega fight between De La Hoya-Mayweather..

Antonio, have you started your preparations for your fight with Paul Williams on July 14th?

I am training right now here in Tijuana but tomorrow (Sunday May 13th) I leave for Los Angeles to concentrate for two months like I have always done.

Have you discussed with your team the type of sparring that you will need to get ready for Williams since he is a rival with very unique physical attributes?

In reality, I don’t know who will be available for sparring but I have spoken with my manager Sergio Diaz and he assured me that we have the adequate sparring to come up with a good strategy so that we can defend the title.

Without revealing too much of your strategy how do you see that fight against Paul Williams developing?

Paul Williams is a very tall fighter, a fighter with reach. But he doesn’t know how to take advantage of his reach. We are going to go to the inside and he likes to fight on the inside so that is to our advantage. We are going to come up with a great strategy and I dare to say that I am going to knock him out.

After your win against Clottey, there was much talk about you facing Miguel Cotto in June, why didn’t that fight come to fruition?

There was talk of that fight and I was willing to have that fight but I had to recant because they were saying that they were going to strip me because I had to fight my mandatory. I wanted to fight Cotto as a champion so that I could unify against Cotto so I have to comply with my mandatory challenger and after that we will see about Cotto, but first things first and we are going to prepare ourselves very well for this fight with Williams.

There were reports that your promoter Bob Arum was upset with you since you took this fight with Williams instead of with Cotto have you and Arum smoothed out your problems?

Yes that is right. Well, what happened is that there even was a lawsuit involved but I don’t think it needed to get to that point; all we needed to do was talk. I say again, I didn’t want the Cotto fight because I need to fight my mandatory. I mentioned to them that if I wasn’t going to fight as a champion with Cotto for the chance to unify then I wasn’t going to fight with Cotto. If Cotto wanted to wait until I fought my mandatory then that was fine. Everything worked out at the end, everything is good with my team and everything is good with Top Rank, now we are ready to get down to business, Paul Williams is the key and I am not letting the opportunity go to waste so that I can verify and to stay the course with a fight against Mayweather now that he has beaten Oscar.

You mentioned Mayweather but before that, if everything comes out good against Williams, are you still interested in Cotto as long as he beats Judah?

Well, we have spoken about that, we have spoken to Top Rank and if we both are victorious then it is planned for either September or October but I don’t want to get ahead of myself, my mind is focused on Paul Williams and I wish Cotto luck against Judah so that we can have a good fight.

I am sure you watched the De La Hoya-Mayweather fight?

Yes I did. We all hoped for a different kind of fight but it was a good fight but we expected more from Oscar De La Hoya.

Of all the opponents that Mayweather has faced, Oscar De La Hoya resembles your physical attributes the most being that you are both taller, stronger and more natural to that weight class than Mayweather, did you see anything in that fight that would help you if you ever got to face Mayweather?

Look, Oscar De La Hoya had the power to knock him out. De La Hoya was always coming forward and Mayweather was back pedaling. Oscar was coming forward but he wasn’t throwing punches, he didn’t go after the body, he didn’t throw his jab, I don’t even thing he threw his jab ten times in the whole fight so in my opinion Oscar De La Hoya needed more. He didn’t need to go after the head so much, he needed to hit him on the chest, on the shoulders, wherever because we know that Mayweather moves his head a lot.

Last time we spoke you mentioned that you weren’t going to be calling out Mayweather because it was clear that he didn’t want the fight but when it is all said and done against Williams and/or Cotto, are you still interested in Mayweather?

Look, it's not so much that it doesn’t interest me because I did say that I wasn’t going to mention him anymore but it is what the fans are asking for. The fans are saying that here is Antonio Margarito, the welterweight champion of the world, and if the fans ask for it and everything comes out good with my previous obligations, I would be more that happy to face him.

You mentioned that Williams being the key for future fights, you think that by beating Williams it would open up the door for the Mayweather fight?

Absolutely, it is almost a done deal that beating Williams will get me a fight with Cotto, I think I have the style to beat Cotto, but first I have to be face my mandatory and then whichever fighter will come next.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I figured some of our Margarito fans would like to read this, and maybe it would shift back towards the topic ;)

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
doesnt cotto have a higher rated belt than margy? if so,, i would think he would let them strip his wbo belt for a chance at a higher ranked belt. I could be wrong though, but sounds like margy ducked cotto, because a belt dont make a champion, the person makes the belt am i right? And his wbo isnt getting him anywhere in this sport but if he faught cotto and won, he would get alot more credit. HMMM think about it guys. And please dont bring up how everyone ducked margy, i dont buy into it and im sick of hearing it, im just bringing up a case about margy ducking cotto.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Cotto is one of the many who would beat him. Well, thinking about it I am not sure now. I almost couldn't pick the statue because I hate him, but cotto is my number one overrated guy. I'm torn.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
just think shane, that statue would slowly fall when cotto broke his body, at least after june 9th i wont be able to hear you call him overrated anymore, im so excited.

41 - 60 of 122 Posts