Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Robert Morales

Richard Schaefer on Tuesday said that "Sugar" Shane Mosley has agreed in principle to a fight with welterweight world champion Antonio Margarito. If Margarito does likewise, the deal should be done in the next day or two.

"I informed Bob Arum that from our side we are done," said Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, which promotes Mosley. "And he (Arum) is trying to finalize his side. The ball is in Margarito's court."

Schaefer said that if the accord gets consummated, the fight will be held Jan. 24 at either MGM Grand or Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. It would be televised on HBO.

"On regular HBO, wouldn't that be a great way to start the season?" Schaefer said.

Schaefer was speaking by telephone from Los Angeles as he was about to board a plane to New York City, where he said he will take in Saturday's fight between Joe Calzaghe and Roy Jones Jr.

Arum, who promotes Margarito, was contacted and he echoed Schaefer's comments.

"That is absolutely correct," Arum said. "Margarito is coming in this week and hopefully we go over everything with him and he can approve it. We talked to the managers (Francisco Espinoza and Sergio Diaz) and they're on board."

Arum said that Margarito was in Mexico on Tuesday. Diaz is in China for the WBC convention, but Arum said that Espinoza will bring Margarito to his Top Rank Inc. offices in Las Vegas as early as Wednesday but no later than Thursday.

"Obviously, we can't finalize anything without talking to (Margarito)," Arum said. "I think it's a good fight, a fight that everyone wants. But again, I'm not the one doing the fighting." Arum intimated he was very optimistic that the deal will be sealed.

"I think the money is fair, the money is right," he said. "I don't anticipate any difficulties. But I can't commit without talking to Tony."

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm excited about this fight. It will be a good start to the year.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
This should be a heck of a fight. I have to go with Tony to win though by gradually wearing down Shane stopping him around 8-9.
No one can accuse Margarito or Mosely of cherry picking opponents can they?
This is how boxing should be

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I was hoping this fight didn't happen. I have a great deal of respect for Mosley. I don't want to see him take a beating. But it looks like it's happening. Margarito stops the brave, always game Mosley in 9.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
This will be a great fight, one of the best fights that can be made at 147. Next year might be a career year for Margarito: Margarito-Mosley, Margarito-Cotto, Margarito-Williams. If (a big if, but possible) he wins all 3 in 09, no way he doesn't get FOY and maybe the best year in the decade.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
This will be a great fight, one of the best fights that can be made at 147. Next year might be a career year for Margarito: Margarito-Mosley, Margarito-Cotto, Margarito-Williams. If (a big if, but possible) he wins all 3 in 09, no way he doesn't get FOY and maybe the best year in the decade.
That's HOF stuff if Margarito does all that. I think he can

·
Keeping it real
3,621 Posts
Hope this fight comes off,should be another great weletrweight fight, and for mosley to take a fight with margarito at this stage in his career says a lot about the man.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
That's HOF stuff if Margarito does all that. I think he can
If he beats Mosley (yes, even an old one), he's in, not first ballot though. He'd have a pretty good title run, a victory over an undefeated (probable) hall of famer, and an aging first ballot hall of famer still in the top 5 of the division. If he can knock him out it would strengthen what I'm saying.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Hope this fight comes off,should be another great weletrweight fight, and for mosley to take a fight with margarito at this stage in his career says a lot about the man.
Definitely, he could have taken the easier Berto fight, but took this one. Big props to Mosley for never taking the easy route, just another reason why he has so many hardcore fans.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
I could'nt agree more, and once again I have to salute Shane Mosley for having the balls to do what DLH di not....and I don't care how much money he's gonna make he sold out...:laugh:

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
I could'nt agree more, and once again I have to salute Shane Mosley for having the balls to do what DLH di not....and I don't care how much money he's gonna make he sold out...:laugh:
I agree with ya 100% Hugo:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
You all know I gotta roll with my boy Shane Mosley. He will not get stopped by Margarito. I'll take any bets when this fight gets signed.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
It appears that Shane Mosley, for the second time in his career, has fired his father/trainer Jack Mosley.

As reported earlier by BoxingScene.com's Robert Morales, a deal is almost complete for Mosley to challenge WBA welterweight champion Antonio Margarito on January 24 in Las Vegas. Mosley wants to hire Nazim Richardson to train him for the fight. Richardson trains Mosley's Golden Boy Promotions partner, Bernard Hopkins.

Mosley told writer Dan Rafael that his decision to replace his father began to echo in his head during the training camp for the fight with Ricardo Mayorga [Sept. 27], who Mosley knocked out in the twelfth round. The father and son combo were clashing on several things and Mosley felt a change was needed. He tells Rafael that Richardson will prepare him well for Margarito.

"I've talked to [Richardson] on several occasions," Mosley said. "I know what his style is and he has a pretty good style. He's good during the fight and at solving different styles. I've been in camp when he's been training Bernard, so I've been around him. He knows what he is doing."

"I have agreed to it. Now it's up to Margarito to work his deal out with his promoter. I'm looking to fight the best out there and he's considered the best at welterweight, a big strong guy, a terror at 147."

[Source]Mosley To Hire Nazim Richardson For Margarito Duel - Boxing News

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
Nazim is a fantastic trainer. Good choice from Mosley. I think Mosley wins a clear UD over Margarito here. The one thing that Tony can't do to Shane is bully him and that's what his key was against Cotto. Shane can hit him back, push him about, work the body etc.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i hope this comes off as i think it gives sugar shane a great chance to prove his great ring generalship as long as he keeps his cool and dont get dragged into a war i take mosley by a close decision as he will build a big lead at the start with tony closing the fight in the late rounds

1 - 20 of 209 Posts