Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Juan Manuel Marquez met Manny Pacquiao Sunday morning at the Araneta Coliseum where the Mexican two-division world champion personally challenged the Filipino world champion to another battle inside the ring.

Marquez arrived with Mexican advisor Jaime Quintana then went to the Coliseum where the world-class card dubbed "Invasion: Philippines vs. The World" was held.

"I gave him concessions in our first fight and the rematch and I will give him whatever concessions he wants. I just want to give the fight the people want to see," said Marquez who arrived in time for the second bout.

The two exchanged pleasantries and gamely answered fight queries during the television interview.

"I'm willing to fight him again but it is all up to my promoter," was the short reply of Pacquiao when asked about the third bout.

"Really? Then let's do it again and fight. Give me the paper and pen and let's sign it. Let's do it for the people. It's for the people," Marquez lightheartedly said who was pertaining to a fight contract for their third fight.

Golden Boy Promotions COO David Itskowitch said the reality is that Pacquiao is the only one who can decide which opponent he will face. Itskowitch said promoters cannot force an opponent their boxers doesn't want to fight.

"It's the call of Manny. If he tells his promoter to he wants the Marquez fight then it can happen. If he wants David Diaz then it's Diaz. Bottom line is, Manny calls the shot," said Itskowitch.

Pacquiao in a separate interview said Marquez has to wait for a while as the Mexican made him to wait four years before their rematch happened. After their classich 12-round bout which ended in a draw last May 2004, an immediate rematch did not materialize as Marquez reportedly asked for more money for the return engagement.

"It will happen but he has to wait,"said Pacquiao.

Marquez on the other hand said he knows his body well and that despite his ripe age of 34, he knows he still has a lot more competitive years left to remain successful in the sport.

"I can wait even if I'm 40-years old I will still fight him. I am here to show the people I am serious in fighting Pacquiao again. The people wants to fight so I ask Pacquiao let' give it to the people," said Marquez who during the press conference answered questions in English.

In another interview, Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach said the contract for Pacquiao's next fight is set to be delivered later this week.

Roach said Pacquiao's lawyer Jeng Gacal will be in the United States to scrutinize the contract.

Roach revealed that the contract, to be presented by Bob Arum's Top Rank, Inc., is for the world lightweight challenge of Pacquiao against defending World Boxing Council (WBC) champion David Diaz.

"Looks like it's David Diaz this June. Marquez deserves a rematch and their last fight was really a close one. But he has to wait because Manny wants to get that lightweight belt," said Roach.

Marquez again reiterated their $6-million offer for Pacquiao which the Mexican believes is the biggest purse the Filipino can get at this point.

"It's only Juan Manuel who can give Pacquiao that kind of amount. I don't think he can get $2 million with Diaz," said Quintana.

When asked about his comment of Arum's statement that Pacquiao deserves $8-10 million for a third fight with Marquez, the Mexican fighter said it is an absurd commnet from the veteran promoter.

"That's crazy. I know he said that and then the next time he said Pacquiao must get $15 million. I know Manny deserves more money and I will get less but the people wants to see us fight again," said Marquez.

In their rematch last March 15 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, Marquez reportedly got $1.5 million as compared to Pacquiao who supposedly took home $5.5 million. Marquez, 34, was defending his World Boxing Council (WBC) super featherweight crown which he lost to Pacquiao via 12-round split decision.

Marquez said his cut is well on its way to healing completely and that he will be ready to fight by June.

Arum meanwhile is scheduling a June 28 bout for Pacquiao against Diaz also in Las Vegas.

Pacquiao scored a razor-thin 12-round split win over Marquez in another tightly fought contest just like their first encounter back in 2004 that ended in a draw. The victory gave Pacquiao the WBC super featherweight belt.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
I dont think it does, i think Pac will chase fights with the superstars at 140/147.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I dont think it does, i think Pac will chase fights with the superstars at 140/147.
I do too, but he won't go straight from David Diaz to 140. Well, I hope he does because I can't wait to see him get his ass kicked again and actually get the loss he deserves.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
I do too, but he won't go straight from David Diaz to 140. Well, I hope he does because I can't wait to see him get his ass kicked again and actually get the loss he deserves.
I think over the two fights Pac showed he was the better man, the points over both fights narowly goes to Pac and he knocked him down 4 times.

In that sense i wont be to disapointed if there is no rematch.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I think over the two fights Pac showed he was the better man, the points over both fights narowly goes to Pac and he knocked him down 4 times.

In that sense i wont be to disapointed if there is no rematch.
I see a KD as nothing more than a landed punch that scores an extra point. It doesn't float around in my mind after fights. A 10-8 round to Fighter A is the EXACT same as two 10-9 rounds to fighter B. I felt the first fight was a draw and Marquez clearly, but closely won the rematch. They need to fight again.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
I see a KD as nothing more than a landed punch that scores an extra point. It doesn't float around in my mind after fights. A 10-8 round to Fighter A is the EXACT same as two 10-9 rounds to fighter B. I felt the first fight was a draw and Marquez clearly, but closely won the rematch. They need to fight again.

The only reason the first fight was a draw is because of the crazy judge who scored the first round 10-7 instead of 10-6.

I thought Pac won the first fight by 4 rounds, i thought JMM shadded the second.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Cool. They need to fight a 3rd time. :)
Id like to see it but i wont be to disapointed, I think Pac moves on to the bigger guys now though and that is something i'll enjoy watching.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The only reason the first fight was a draw is because of the crazy judge who scored the first round 10-7 instead of 10-6.
I thought Pac won the first fight by 4 rounds, i thought JMM shadded the second.
I hate sympathy judging as well. Lederman loves to give sympathy rounds to a losing fighter.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
I hate sympathy judging as well. Lederman loves to give sympathy rounds to a losing fighter.
Most think Ledderman is a very good judge.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Put down the haterade Shane. Pac & JMM were involved in the highest grossing fight in the lower weights. They know they have to fight again but this time Marquez will have to wait.

I think Lederman is pretty good, but he has off nights where his cards are TERRIBLE.
I agree. He's either spot on or waayyy off.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I agree. He's either spot on or waayyy off.
I agree which makes him a pretty awful judge and any of us could do a better job. I have seen him WAAAYYY off. Half the reason he is there is so fans watching can get an idea of who Lederman thinks is winning and if your that off theres really no reason for you to be there.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Its very simple people, Ledderman is the most respected judge in boxing, that is by his peers.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree which makes him a pretty awful judge and any of us could do a better job. I have seen him WAAAYYY off. Half the reason he is there is so fans watching can get an idea of who Lederman thinks is winning and if your that off theres really no reason for you to be there.
They should have 3 unofficial judges instead of just one.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
They should have 3 unofficial judges instead of just one.
Dude, that's a very good idea! We should sign a petition for it!

Lederman seems to have an issue with Floyd. He scored both DLH & Hatton fights way out IMO.
Who doesn't?

Watch his face change from a smile to a frown at :48 after Merchant downplays his boxing clinic.

Floyd Mayweather: (1:30) "I know you guys are crossing your fingers hoping that a fighter can beat me"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts