Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Mark Vester

Forget the best in the world, WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. tells Sportinglife that Ricky Hatton is not even the best fighter from Britain. According to Mayweather, a win over Hatton will not do a single thing for his legacy, this fight is simply the biggest money fight available. In his opinion, WBO super middleweight champ Joe Calzaghe is the best British fighter in the sport.

"This won't do nothing for my legacy. My legacy is already solidified, it's already stamped. I'm fighting because I'm a businessman. The price is right, so let's make it happen," Mayweather said. "Before I leave I want to beat the best British fighter out there, or one of them. Calzaghe's the best British fighter - probably one of the best I've ever seen."

Mayweather says that he's ready for Hatton's "dirty tactics." He views Hatton as a dirty fighter and plans to get dirty himself if needed.

"I didn't really get a chance to watch the Tszyu fight - I watched a few rounds. I already knew what it was. Punch hold, punch hold. From what I've seen it's extremely dirty. He's a dirty fighter. In Vegas they're firm but they're fair. If he gets dirty I can get dirty. Whatever he wants to do," Mayweather said.

He does respect Hatton as a fighter, Mayweather claims to be training harder than he did for his May 5 win over Oscar De La Hoya.

"We don't train like no other fighter. I've got to push myself to the limit. I'm training harder for this fight than I did for the fight with Oscar. My second day back in the gym (after Dancing With The Stars) I started boxing nine and 10 rounds," Mayweather said. "I'm already in tremendous shape. We don't train like anybody else. We don't even have a bell in the gym. We sometimes train six or eight straight minutes. I guess I am a throwback fighter - I could fight 15 rounds. A lot of it is God-given talent and the rest is hard work."

I agree.....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The only part about this that I don't like is that Floyd isn't giving himself any credit (so he says) for beating Hatton. Hatton is no bum. I do agree, however, that Calzaghe is much, much better.
 

·
tellin' it like it is
Joined
·
18,612 Posts
mayweather sounds like he's been reading(and agreeing with) what a lot of internet boxing scribes were saying when the fight was made. when floyd beats hatton all his detractors are going to say is he shouldn't have fought him anyway. i think hatton is a quality fighter, and floyd should get credit once he beats him.
 

·
Team Mayweather
Joined
·
24,365 Posts
floyd is alot of things but he doesnt know it. I think he just likes to confuse everyone lol. I agre, calzaghe is better than hatton. But i think beating hatton will affect his legacy in the long run. Not to many guys fight undefeated champs in their prime.
 

·
Mental Midget
Joined
·
4,170 Posts
If Floyd beats him, which he will, I think its a great win on the resume. The only thing I didnt like about that quote was this line:

"Before I leave I want to beat the best British fighter out there, or one of them. Calzaghe's the best British fighter - probably one of the best I've ever seen."

Why the best "British" fighter out there? Why not the best "fighter" out there. Not to take anyting away from the Hatton fight, because its pretty close to the best fighter he can take on, but there are a couple that would be better fights.
(Cotto, Mosley, Williams to name a few, and champs to boot)
 

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
Joined
·
8,579 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
By Mark Vester

Forget the best in the world, WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. tells Sportinglife that Ricky Hatton is not even the best fighter from Britain. According to Mayweather, a win over Hatton will not do a single thing for his legacy, this fight is simply the biggest money fight available. In his opinion, WBO super middleweight champ Joe Calzaghe is the best British fighter in the sport.

"This won't do nothing for my legacy. My legacy is already solidified, it's already stamped. I'm fighting because I'm a businessman. The price is right, so let's make it happen," Mayweather said. "Before I leave I want to beat the best British fighter out there, or one of them. Calzaghe's the best British fighter - probably one of the best I've ever seen."

Mayweather says that he's ready for Hatton's "dirty tactics." He views Hatton as a dirty fighter and plans to get dirty himself if needed.

"I didn't really get a chance to watch the Tszyu fight - I watched a few rounds. I already knew what it was. Punch hold, punch hold. From what I've seen it's extremely dirty. He's a dirty fighter. In Vegas they're firm but they're fair. If he gets dirty I can get dirty. Whatever he wants to do," Mayweather said.

He does respect Hatton as a fighter, Mayweather claims to be training harder than he did for his May 5 win over Oscar De La Hoya.

"We don't train like no other fighter. I've got to push myself to the limit. I'm training harder for this fight than I did for the fight with Oscar. My second day back in the gym (after Dancing With The Stars) I started boxing nine and 10 rounds," Mayweather said. "I'm already in tremendous shape. We don't train like anybody else. We don't even have a bell in the gym. We sometimes train six or eight straight minutes. I guess I am a throwback fighter - I could fight 15 rounds. A lot of it is God-given talent and the rest is hard work."

I agree.....

But Tinkerbell you dont fight you run and try to hide. You accuse Hatton of being a dirty fighter to influence the judges Hell they'll be 100 % behind ya already thats why you wouldnt fight on a level playing field in Britain aint it. Be a man for once stand and fight
 

·
tellin' it like it is
Joined
·
18,612 Posts
Captainobvious said:
If Floyd beats him, which he will, I think its a great win on the resume. The only thing I didnt like about that quote was this line:

"Before I leave I want to beat the best British fighter out there, or one of them. Calzaghe's the best British fighter - probably one of the best I've ever seen."

Why the best "British" fighter out there? Why not the best "fighter" out there. Not to take anyting away from the Hatton fight, because its pretty close to the best fighter he can take on, but there are a couple that would be better fights.
(Cotto, Mosley, Williams to name a few, and champs to boot)
i think it's due to the fact mayweather and co. are trying to promote this fight as nation against nation. I can hear the crowd now with one side singing "there's only one ricky hatton" and the other side screaming "u.s.a! u.s.a!"
 

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
Joined
·
8,579 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Well when it's true there is nothing wrong with it. :)
I agree you cannot beat the truth Tinker is in no way a throw back fighter he run, hides forever moving backwards for once tinkerbell show youre a man FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
C.J.Rock said:
I agree you cannot beat the truth Tinker is in no way a throw back fighter he run, hides forever moving backwards for once tinkerbell show youre a man FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
keep on him cj, he dont like people talking about his bum chum. :cool:
 

·
tellin' it like it is
Joined
·
18,612 Posts
any person with an unbiased mindset knows that floyd mayweather is the truth.

this "floyd don't trade" and "floyd runs" crap is getting old. floyd has wlways picked his spots to engage fighters, and floyd basically circles his opponent......that's not running.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
BigDigga said:
any person with an unbiased mindset knows that floyd mayweather is the truth.

this "floyd don't trade" and "floyd runs" crap is getting old. floyd has wlways picked his spots to engage fighters, and floyd basically circles his opponent......that's not running.
he traded with oscar twice in the entire fight and one of those times was in the last 10 seconds of the fight when he knew the bell would have saved him if he'd be KD and his loyal judges giampa and roth were at ringside to still give him a gift.

he never engeged baldomir once in there fight, a fighter whom a shot gatti had his moments against.
 
1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Top