Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Mark Vester

In a follow-up to my report from yesterday afternoon, it appears there is a lot of truth in the boxing industry rumors I touched on. Oscar De La Hoya is currently in serious talks to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. in a rematch of their May 07 bout that shattered revenue records with a buyrate of 2.4 million.

Bob Arum of Top Rank told boxing scribe Robert Morales that he was initially holding off on setting Miguel Cotto's next fight, but De La Hoya fighting Mayweather is now a done deal and Cotto will move forward with another fight.

Arum feels there was never a real chance of De La Hoya fighting a guy like Cotto at this late stage of the game, and negotiations never took place for the fight with Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions. He says that De La Hoya used a possible fight with Cotto as leverage in his negotiations with Mayweather.

"That fight is a done deal. I don't think Oscar really wanted to fight Cotto," Arum said. "I think he used a possible fight with Cotto to put leverage on Mayweather in their negotiations. I knew it wasn't going to happen because the truth is, if Oscar fought Cotto, he'd be in for a serious beating. And with Mayweather, he just plays around. It's not a real ... nobody gets hurt."

Arum does not blame De La Hoya for avoiding a fight with Cotto because his fighter would have given De La Hoya a much tougher fight and he says it's not like De La Hoya is steering his career like an actual contender.

"I didn't mean to sound critical of Oscar because I really don't blame him," said Arum, De La Hoya's former promoter. After what he's done in his long career, why fight a beast like Cotto? I mean, it's silly. It's not like a guy that is campaigning like a real fighter. Oscar takes a fight here, a fight there. And it's clear that a Mayweather fight is a much easier fight."

Morales also spoke with Schaefer, who denied the rematch was a done deal, but didn't deny the fight was currently being negotiated for De La Hoya's return. Schaefer said if the Mayweather rematch falls apart, they will look for a Cotto showdown.

"Nothing is done," Schaefer said. "I don't know why Bob would say that, he's not even involved in the negotiations. The fact is, there are very many elements that still have to be worked on. I am not going to say the fight is done until it is signed. If for some reason the Mayweather fight doesn't work out, then it's going to be Cotto. If Cotto is already fighting somebody else, then it will be somebody else."
------------------------------------------------------------

The fight is basically a done deal like I figured. Time to get the chatter rolling. I told you guys Floyd wouldn't be gone any more than 8 months. He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaack. I look for Floyd to stop Oscar this time around the 9th.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
with a check hook? :D

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
The fight is basically a done deal like I figured. Time to get the chatter rolling. I told you guys Floyd wouldn't be gone any more than 8 months. He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaack. I look for Floyd to stop Oscar this time around the 9th.
i can feel dave' temperature rising:laugh:

i would hope dlh would put forth better effort this time. which will lead to him tiring, and getting stopped late. similar to what happened to hatton;)

i'd rather see floyd take on cotto, but no one passes on a dlh payday..........no one!

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Well i scored their first fight 7-5 so it was a close fight. if DLH comes better prepared and in better shape e might actually beat Floyd............ but i really really really doubt thats gonna happen. Floyd by UD (altough i will be cheering for Floyds opponent like in most fights)

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
There first fight was super close and i put this one at 50-50.

if oscar doesn't abandon his jab here he could very well hand pbf his first L.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I don't see the point in it, first one was forgettable. Sounds like a "business deal" between the two of them. Maybe they can sucker the public into paying even more for the second time around.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
There first fight was super close and i put this one at 50-50.

if oscar doesn't abandon his jab here he could very well hand pbf his first L.
the problem is this will tire dlh out which is what mayweather was waiting for the first fight. this is the reason why i never wanted to see a rematch. i don't think dlh has the cajonnes to go all out like ricky did. he knows that once he begins to tire mayweather would "tax that a$$" like he said he would. having been in there with him, and having felt dlh' strength i'd hope that would make floyd more aggressive in a rematch.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Floyd beats Oscar more convincingly the second time round. Don't know why they should fight again. Unless Oscar impresses and beats a big name.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I would seriously believe in an orchestrated effort from the both of them. Since they are both their own promoters how could it be any other way. Fight would have zero credibility IMO. OK, maybe I'm too cynical, but I just can't picture the two of them going in there trying to hurt each other. Hell, they might even enter the ring in three piece suits..LOL

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
No doubt the fight would be another snoozer but the first one was close enough to warrant a rematch IMO.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
I would seriously believe in an orchestrated effort from the both of them. Since they are both their own promoters how could it be any other way. Fight would have zero credibility IMO. OK, maybe I'm too cynical, but I just can't picture the two of them going in there trying to hurt each other. Hell, they might even enter the ring in three piece suits..LOL

with dollar signs all over them! :thumbsup::laugh:

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
i can feel dave' temperature rising:laugh:

i would hope dlh would put forth better effort this time. which will lead to him tiring, and getting stopped late. similar to what happened to hatton

i'd rather see floyd take on cotto, but no one passes on a dlh payday..........no one!
Good one Dude.:thumbsup:
I WILL NOT PAY FOR THIS FIGHT :cheeky4:
it will be another POS fight, sparing secion :thumbsdown:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Good one Dude.:thumbsup:
I WILL NOT PAY FOR THIS FIGHT :cheeky4:
it will be another POS fight, sparing secion :thumbsdown:
You can catch the PBP here then dave. :D

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
MUCH better match up. I think Cotto could hurt Floyd, although I was a little disappointed in those few rounds he danced away from Mosley, kind of diminished his tough guy image.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
True ,in all reality what's DLH gonna do different the next time out ,at this stage in his carreer he's not gonna improve ,this fight is pointless for the fans I certaintly don't hear anyone crying out for it, except DLH

1 - 20 of 155 Posts