Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Mayweather - De La Hoya II

6K views 154 replies 23 participants last post by  SugarShane 
#1 ·
By Mark Vester

In a follow-up to my report from yesterday afternoon, it appears there is a lot of truth in the boxing industry rumors I touched on. Oscar De La Hoya is currently in serious talks to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. in a rematch of their May 07 bout that shattered revenue records with a buyrate of 2.4 million.

Bob Arum of Top Rank told boxing scribe Robert Morales that he was initially holding off on setting Miguel Cotto's next fight, but De La Hoya fighting Mayweather is now a done deal and Cotto will move forward with another fight.

Arum feels there was never a real chance of De La Hoya fighting a guy like Cotto at this late stage of the game, and negotiations never took place for the fight with Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions. He says that De La Hoya used a possible fight with Cotto as leverage in his negotiations with Mayweather.

"That fight is a done deal. I don't think Oscar really wanted to fight Cotto," Arum said. "I think he used a possible fight with Cotto to put leverage on Mayweather in their negotiations. I knew it wasn't going to happen because the truth is, if Oscar fought Cotto, he'd be in for a serious beating. And with Mayweather, he just plays around. It's not a real ... nobody gets hurt."

Arum does not blame De La Hoya for avoiding a fight with Cotto because his fighter would have given De La Hoya a much tougher fight and he says it's not like De La Hoya is steering his career like an actual contender.

"I didn't mean to sound critical of Oscar because I really don't blame him," said Arum, De La Hoya's former promoter. After what he's done in his long career, why fight a beast like Cotto? I mean, it's silly. It's not like a guy that is campaigning like a real fighter. Oscar takes a fight here, a fight there. And it's clear that a Mayweather fight is a much easier fight."

Morales also spoke with Schaefer, who denied the rematch was a done deal, but didn't deny the fight was currently being negotiated for De La Hoya's return. Schaefer said if the Mayweather rematch falls apart, they will look for a Cotto showdown.

"Nothing is done," Schaefer said. "I don't know why Bob would say that, he's not even involved in the negotiations. The fact is, there are very many elements that still have to be worked on. I am not going to say the fight is done until it is signed. If for some reason the Mayweather fight doesn't work out, then it's going to be Cotto. If Cotto is already fighting somebody else, then it will be somebody else."
------------------------------------------------------------

The fight is basically a done deal like I figured. Time to get the chatter rolling. I told you guys Floyd wouldn't be gone any more than 8 months. He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaack. I look for Floyd to stop Oscar this time around the 9th.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
The fight is basically a done deal like I figured. Time to get the chatter rolling. I told you guys Floyd wouldn't be gone any more than 8 months. He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaack. I look for Floyd to stop Oscar this time around the 9th.
i can feel dave' temperature rising:laugh:

i would hope dlh would put forth better effort this time. which will lead to him tiring, and getting stopped late. similar to what happened to hatton;)

i'd rather see floyd take on cotto, but no one passes on a dlh payday..........no one!

#15 ·
i can feel dave' temperature rising:laugh:

i would hope dlh would put forth better effort this time. which will lead to him tiring, and getting stopped late. similar to what happened to hatton

i'd rather see floyd take on cotto, but no one passes on a dlh payday..........no one!
Good one Dude.:thumbsup:
I WILL NOT PAY FOR THIS FIGHT :cheeky4:
it will be another POS fight, sparing secion :thumbsdown:

#5 ·
Well i scored their first fight 7-5 so it was a close fight. if DLH comes better prepared and in better shape e might actually beat Floyd............ but i really really really doubt thats gonna happen. Floyd by UD (altough i will be cheering for Floyds opponent like in most fights)

#7 ·
There first fight was super close and i put this one at 50-50.

if oscar doesn't abandon his jab here he could very well hand pbf his first L.

#9 ·
There first fight was super close and i put this one at 50-50.

if oscar doesn't abandon his jab here he could very well hand pbf his first L.
the problem is this will tire dlh out which is what mayweather was waiting for the first fight. this is the reason why i never wanted to see a rematch. i don't think dlh has the cajonnes to go all out like ricky did. he knows that once he begins to tire mayweather would "tax that a$$" like he said he would. having been in there with him, and having felt dlh' strength i'd hope that would make floyd more aggressive in a rematch.

#11 ·
I would seriously believe in an orchestrated effort from the both of them. Since they are both their own promoters how could it be any other way. Fight would have zero credibility IMO. OK, maybe I'm too cynical, but I just can't picture the two of them going in there trying to hurt each other. Hell, they might even enter the ring in three piece suits..LOL

#14 ·
I would seriously believe in an orchestrated effort from the both of them. Since they are both their own promoters how could it be any other way. Fight would have zero credibility IMO. OK, maybe I'm too cynical, but I just can't picture the two of them going in there trying to hurt each other. Hell, they might even enter the ring in three piece suits..LOL

with dollar signs all over them! :thumbsup::laugh:

#23 ·
Floyd will definitely stop Oscar this time. What will be somewhat lame is that HBO will surely do another 24/7 series. This fight will be a lot closer than any fight with Cotto would be. I look for Floyd to stop Oscar late, or at least put him down once.

#30 ·
Mayweather Sr. To Train De La Hoya?

By Rick Reeno

According to Floyd Mayweather Sr., he was recently phoned by a member of Oscar De La Hoya's team, asking whether or not he was interested in training De La Hoya for a future fight. Floyd Sr. told BoxingScene.com that he was never informed of De La Hoya's potential opponent, but if it's going to be a rematch with his son, Floyd Mayweather Jr., the elder Mayweather is ready, willing and able to accept the potential training assignment.

Last year, De La Hoya tried to secure Floyd Sr. as his trainer for the May 5th bout with Floyd Jr., but when the trainer asked for a fee of $2 million dollars, De La Hoya rejected what he felt was a high demand and hired Freddie Roach. Prior to the deal with Roach, Floyd Sr. had been De La Hoya's trainer for six-years.

In the last week, negotiations of a possible De La Hoya-Mayweather rematch were confirmed by Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions. While the fight is not a done deal, numerous sources are confident the fight will come off due to De La Hoya's dwindling options for a big name opponent.

Floyd Sr. tells BoxingScene De La Hoya will need his knowledge in order to beat his son.
"Oscar, he realized that he made a mistake the first time with Freddie Roach. That guy has no skills. He never did anything as a pro. If you didn't do nothing, you cant show nothing, You can only teach what you know. James Toney (trained by Roach) could always fight and he didn't learn ***** from Roach. Pacquiao’s been with him for years and he still can’t box,” Floyd Sr. said.

The De La Hoya-Mayweather pay-per-view was the richest fight in boxing history, producing a record-shattering buyrate of 2.4 million and a revenue figure of $165 million.
As far as Floyd Sr.'s monetary demand to train De La Hoya, he made it clear that he won't go any lower than his initial $2 million dollar demand in 07, and was quick to cite the revenue stream of the first fight as justification for the high fee. He feels that he's the only person who can show De La Hoya how to crack the tight defense of Floyd Jr.

“It will have to be discussed. I respect Oscar. I’ll say one thing - it wont be lower. If there’s anybody that can beat little Floyd, it's the person on the other end of this phone. Nobody can show Oscar how to get past that defense or the shoulder roll. I gave that defense to my son. I don’t care who made what, anything can be broken."

Floyd Sr., who watched from ringside, saw a lot of flaws in De La Hoya's gameplan. In the opinion of Floyd Sr., only he can prevent from the rematch from being a mirror image of the original. He knows the rematch will not be as successful as the first fight but feels his presence and the storyline of "father training fighter to beat up son" will draw big numbers.

"There was no technique there. There was nothing. The only chance he got is with me. If he don’t want me, he can go back to the same kind of fight. If there is another fight with Floyd and De La Hoya, I might ask for more because I will the key to the fight. They want draw much as the last time but if I’m there - I’ll be all the difference. Anyone in their right mind wouldn’t accept anything less," Floyd Sr. said.

"I got a lot to give and a lot of knowledge to share. If he does like I tell him to do, he will look great. The fight with little Floyd, there was no strategy in there at all. Little Floyd was right where he wanted be, on the ropes. The whole strategy will be totally different and you will see a much different fight. People wont pay for the same fight again. It won’t do the numbers it did before. If I don’t do it, that's fine because it didn't happen originally anyway, but if I’m going to do it - I’m going to get paid like everybody else."

While Roger Mayweather, uncle and trainer of Floyd Jr., was briefly incarcerated for some legal trouble, it was Floyd Sr. who stepped in to train his son for the big showdown with De La Hoya. The father and son relationship of the Mayweathers has been rocky for a long time, with years of insults being fired through the media by both sides. Floyd Sr. says his son has never taken care of him, not even when he stepped in for brother Roger during the camp for De La Hoya. The strained relationship of the Mayweathers will add the much-talked about storyline that most observers were hoping to see in the first fight.

"You won't even believe it. All I got was $10,000 for training him for De La Hoya when Roger was away. He's talking about how he won't do a damn thing for me, and he never did do a damn thing for me. I did everything for him. Everything that led him to get him to where he is today. As an amateur, as a kid and as a baby is what I did. I gave him the shoulder roll," Floyd Sr. said. "When they fought in Las Vegas, Oscar was the one who gave me tickets to the show, not my son. Oscar took care of me. I’ve been Oscar’s trainer all these years and wont stop being his trainer for anybody, including little Floyd."

"Like I always say, I thought little Floyd everything he knows, but not everything I know. I still a few tricks of up my sleeve, if Oscar signs - he will receive."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.