Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By David Mayo - The Grand Rapids Press

GRAND RAPIDS -- Floyd Mayweather Jr. wants to fight again and has reached out to his father about returning in a training capacity after their estrangement for most of the last eight years, family members said Monday.

Janelle Mayweather, the boxer's cousin, told family members he called her early Sunday morning -- moments after Manny Pacquiao's stirring win over Oscar De La Hoya on Saturday night in Las Vegas -- and stated his hopes to fight again and reunite with his father.

"My niece said my son told her he wanted to fight Pacquiao next, and that he wants me to train him for the fight," Mayweather Sr. said.

Bernice Mayweather said she was not surprised to hear her grandson -- a five-division champion with a 39-0 record, who last fought Dec. 8, 2007 -- wants to return to the ring.

"I always said he was going to fight again," she said. "It was just a matter of time. He was waiting until the time is right. And the time is right. I knew he was going to come out of retirement -- he did it before, didn't he?"

Janelle Mayweather disclosed her conversation with Mayweather Jr. to family members Sunday at Bernice Mayweather's home on the southeast side. She did not return a telephone message seeking comment.

Latisha Starling, another cousin of the boxer's, also was at Sunday's family get-together.

Starling said she was on the phone with Janelle Mayweather throughout the Pacquiao-De La Hoya fight, "kind of giving her play-by-play."

"Right after the fight ended and I hung up, Janelle said her phone rang again and she thought it was me. But it was Little Floyd, saying he wanted to fight Pacquiao and he had to get in touch with his father," Starling said.

Fatimah Mayweather, the boxer's sister, also told family members she received a call from her brother, hoping to discuss resuming a working relationship with Mayweather Sr.

Leonard Ellerbe, the boxer's adviser, did not return messages seeking comment.

Mayweather Sr. molded his son's career until a string of disagreements led him to resign in 2001.

He subsequently became one of the most-sought trainers in boxing, while his son went on to become mythical pound-for-pound king under the tutelage of Roger Mayweather, Mayweather Sr.'s brother.

Mayweather Jr. may want to reunite the brothers as co-trainers, a relationship tested before the fighter's 12-round decision victory over De La Hoya last year, when Mayweather Sr. began training camp as interim trainer while his brother finished an assault sentence.

Mayweather Sr. left the camp soon after his brother's release.

Starling said Janelle Mayweather, in recounting to the family her conversation with Mayweather Jr., "said she asked Little Floyd, 'What happens to Roger if you do this?' and he said, 'Oh, there are enough millions to go around, they can both be in my corner.'"

Mayweather Sr. said his son's reaction may be emotional -- Pacquiao assumed the pound-for-pound mantle after Mayweather Jr. retired, and defended it with a sensational eighth-round technical knockout of De La Hoya in Las Vegas -- but added that, regardless the motivation, any resumption of their working relationship would require contractual security.

"I will never be dumbfounded by anything in my life again unless contracts are involved," he said. "At the end of the day, he's still my son, but I'd have to hold him accountable with a contract. I didn't have a contract first time but I never dreamed it would end like that, either."

However, he said money would not be the prinicipal consideration if he entered talks with his son.

"I don't need a whole bunch of money," he said. "I'm a wealthy man. I just need enough to accommodate me for the rest of my time on this earth."

Mayweather Sr. added that he also received a telephone call from his son early Sunday morning but his phone was off and the message was cryptic.

There's only one problem.

"He didn't leave his number," Mayweather Sr. said. Source

·
Registered
424 Posts
im skeptical if this is true or not.

ill wait a few days, see if more info comes out.

but i would love to see this fight.

-Ian

·
Keeping it real
3,621 Posts
I don't want to see this fight and can't understand why a lot of people are saying they would rather see this than hatton v pacquiao.Pacquiao has been my fave fighter eversince i first saw him fight and he's an excellant fighter but i'm not stupid enough to wanna see him in a fight he can't win,yes he took de la hoya apart but that was mainly down to the fact de la hoya couldn't cope with his speed of punching and quickness on his feet,you can forget those advantages in a fight against floyd and add the weight advantage in the mix and imo that spells a one sided win for mayweather ending most probably in a ko.
Atleast you will get a a decent contest in a pacquiao/hatton fight with both fighters having their moments,although the pacman comes out on top for me.

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
Does sounds kinda suspect but Id love to see the fight. Id go for MW even with the amazing performance by Manny on saturday.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Does sounds kinda suspect but Id love to see the fight. Id go for MW even with the amazing performance by Manny on saturday.
why don't we just go ahead and put Manny Pacquaio in there with Jermain Taylor? because then we'd see why his nickname is 'bad intentions'

G

·
The story just doesn't add up. Why would Floyd Jr. all of a sudden want Senior to be his trainer after the estrangment between the two and the incredible success Floyd Jr. has had with Roger Mayweather. Sounds like wishful thinking by Senior.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
The story just doesn't add up.. Why would Floyd Jr. all of a sudden want Senior to be his trainer after the estrangment between the two and the incredible success Floyd Jr has had with Roger Mayweather. Sounds like wishful thinking by Senior.
it sure doesn't. the author of this article is just looking to get some hits methinks.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
from btalk.......

Sources close to former undefeated pound for pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr have informed Boxingtalk.com that despite Manny Pacquiao's sensational stoppage victory over Oscar De La Hoya, the pound for pound Picasso has zero interest in returning to the ring to face the current pound for pound king. "Floyd's not even thinking boxing right now," said our source. It should be interesting to see if the public's interest in the bout and the pocketbooks of powers that be can entice Mayweather to make this dream match a reality

G

·
Pacquiao-Mayweather is the real "dream match". I've been running it through my head and I see Pacquiao's speed giving Mayweather alot of problems the was Judah did early on. I also see Pacquiao getting countered with straight rights quite alot because that's the money punch against southpaws and we know Mayweather loves to use it. If this fight is at 140 or a catch-weight I give Pacquiao a 40-50% chance of pulling off the upset. Mayweather isn't unbeatable.

G

·
from btalk.......

Sources close to former undefeated pound for pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr have informed Boxingtalk.com that despite Manny Pacquiao's sensational stoppage victory over Oscar De La Hoya, the pound for pound Picasso has zero interest in returning to the ring to face the current pound for pound king. "Floyd's not even thinking boxing right now," said our source. It should be interesting to see if the public's interest in the bout and the pocketbooks of powers that be can entice Mayweather to make this dream match a reality
Now that's a story I can believe.

Pacquiao-Mayweather is the real "dream match". I've been running it through my head and I see Pacquiao's speed giving Mayweather alot of problems the was Judah did early on. I also see Pacquiao getting countered with straight rights quite alot because that's the money punch against southpaws and we know Mayweather loves to use it. If this fight is at 140 or a catch-weight I give Pacquiao a 40-50% chance of pulling off the upset. Mayweather isn't unbeatable.
Pacquiao would give anyone problems at 140 or 147. Manny's best defense is his offense. The only way to beat Manny is to use his overwhelming offense against him by countering when he comes in and constantly landing flush shots while Manny is looking for his. "Fight fire with fire" if you will. DLH was too old and too slow to be able to do this. Mayweather not only possesses great speed but some of the best defense in the business. He would have Manny figured out by the mid rounds, systematically taking him apart.

“We wouldn’t fight Mayweather (if he opts to come out of retirement) at 147,’’ Roach said. “We might be willing to do it at a catch weight (somewhere between 140 and 147) but not at 147.’’

Smart man.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
I don't want to see this fight and can't understand why a lot of people are saying they would rather see this than hatton v pacquiao.Pacquiao has been my fave fighter eversince i first saw him fight and he's an excellant fighter but i'm not stupid enough to wanna see him in a fight he can't win,yes he took de la hoya apart but that was mainly down to the fact de la hoya couldn't cope with his speed of punching and quickness on his feet,you can forget those advantages in a fight against floyd and add the weight advantage in the mix and imo that spells a one sided win for mayweather ending most probably in a ko.
Atleast you will get a a decent contest in a pacquiao/hatton fight with both fighters having their moments,although the pacman comes out on top for me.
Great post.

The story just doesn't add up. Why would Floyd Jr. all of a sudden want Senior to be his trainer after the estrangment between the two and the incredible success Floyd Jr. has had with Roger Mayweather. Sounds like wishful thinking by Senior.
It definitely don't add up. Besides, it's all rumours. Floyd hasn't said anything himself. Can't take it too seriously.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
from btalk.......

That's what I thought. He ain't coming back don't believe the hype.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
im skeptical if this is true or not.

ill wait a few days, see if more info comes out.

but i would love to see this fight.

-Ian
I DO NOT EVER want to see that snivelling cry baby prime donna in a boxing ring again. He pitches a tearful goodbye retirement letter SWEARING he will never fight again. Then he pitches another fit accusing the HBO commentating team of racial predjudice against him. To be honest I think he's lost it mentally he has no place in a boxing ring again EVER!!!!!!!!
I heard The Undertaker KO'd The Big Show recently, maybe McMahon will set up somethin with him?? But I doubt it Prima made a spectacle of himself in WWE didnt he:facepalm::deadhorse:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts