·
Banned
25,672 Posts
No-brainer.

Floyd is not in SRL league.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Leonard was by far the better fighter. He was AS good a counter puncher, but could also be very aggressive if necessary. He would stalk, and stop Mayweather.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Sugar ray. Both could land flashy lead shots, but SRL was definitely faster when putting punches togheter, he would look way more impressive and win a decision at least, not to mention he was bigger and probably could punch harder.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I think its kinda typical of people to think that the older fighters were greater then they were. I am not taking anything away from them, but ALL sports are faster and harder then ever before. A good example would be Junior A hockey now is about equal as the NHL was in the 40s,50s and 60s. Ive made Junior A teams, the speed is excellent, hard hits, and even some players can shoot 85+ mph. And when you comapre old hockey tapes to the current junior tape, they are very close in every aspect of the game. (just an example of how sports have progressed, and i used hockey because i am most familiar with it)

Now back to boxing

With all that being said, i think it would be very good fight, but i would have to say floyd has the advantage. I am not saying floyd would walk all over Leonard, but i would say 60% floyd and 40% Leonard

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Man I could agree with you that it happens in most sports. but aint that much on boxing, things like handspeed and natural talent are just as equal, if not lessened because boxing is not as popular so less ppl join boxing nowadays. This is not like swimming where swimming clothes are a huge difference and nutrition too. And when it comes to training methods and techniques there was little advance from the 80's to todays.

As for nutrition todays boxers are better guided, but that I'd say is a smaller factor.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
SRL is one of the few guys in history that i think would win Floyd. SRL ud or even late stoppage.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I think its kinda typical of people to think that the older fighters were greater then they were. I am not taking anything away from them, but ALL sports are faster and harder then ever before. A good example would be Junior A hockey now is about equal as the NHL was in the 40s,50s and 60s. Ive made Junior A teams, the speed is excellent, hard hits, and even some players can shoot 85+ mph. And when you comapre old hockey tapes to the current junior tape, they are very close in every aspect of the game. (just an example of how sports have progressed, and i used hockey because i am most familiar with it)

Now back to boxing

With all that being said, i think it would be very good fight, but i would have to say floyd has the advantage. I am not saying floyd would walk all over Leonard, but i would say 60% floyd and 40% Leonard

Boxing has not changed much from the last 20 years. They were legends back then today we don't have as many good fighters. Ray Leonard was much faster than floyd he doesn't have the advantage over ray. Whats new? The training? thats all..theres new technology. The main thing they do is jog and hit the bag. Hand speed was just as fast as it is today and just as strong. Look at a Ray Leonard fight and you'd see how superior his speed is to floyd.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

Now back to boxing

I've posted on this a couple of times, but I couldn't disagree more. Boxers have digressed greatly over the years. Look at the records, of even boxers in the 80's and back. 15 round distances, and much more active, plus NO premature stoppages.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
:thumbsup: Sugar Ray would annihilate Mayweather. Now they fight for the money why do you think he named himself Money Mayweather? Back in the 80's they fought for Pride

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
And in the 40-50's they fought to eat. I'd like to see these guys today fight a 45 rounder in 100 degree heat. :laugh:

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
:laugh: Agreed. AND they fought 5 minute rounds too. Mexican fighters still fight hard today but not as hard as back then. The only sign of how they used to fight is through mexican fighters cause they have the mentality of win or die trying. Floyd Mayweather just disgusts me because all it is is money to him. Its boxing but he cares for the money instead. He was payed 20 million to do wrestlemania and you see how much throws around money..Mayweather wouldn't stand a chance against Ray. I'm almost 100% positive he'd leave boxing to Wrestle if he got that more money than boxing. He's not a true fighter in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yeah, and what's more bizarre is the public is suckered in to all of it. That he could get another $20M to fight DeLahoya has me questioning the sanity of fight fans. What did Vasquez and Marquez get to stage one of the greatest fights of all time? Peanuts!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I'm not paying for any of Mayweathers fights unless its Cotto or a good young fighter to watch him lose. Mayweather annoys the **** out of me and Marquez/Vazques was an amazing fight and they didn't get **** for it. A Crazy trilogy. While Mayweather is getting millions to do bullshit. He doesn't deserve any of his money. If you think about it..Some great fighters usually work their way up on weak opponents and try to stay away from guys that'll whoop their ass. Every fighter can lose it just depends on who they match you up with.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mayweather to quit on the stool round 9 (just tooo hard)

leonard just too big and powerful (+ fast) would wear him down

Badger

·
Registered
652 Posts

Now back to boxing

There is no way that Floyd Mayweather could beat Sugar Ray Leonard. He has no advantage over him. Floyd is an exceptionally talented fighter but he is not as good as Leonard was at Welterweight.

Leonard had faster hands and feet, a better chin and punched harder. He is also incredibly smart. Both have great reflexes and defensive skills. Leonard through more punches per round and his accuracy was amazing.

I think alot of people think of Sugar Ray Leonard as the Middleweight who beat an aging Hagler. Leonards prime was at Welterweight and he would never have lost to a little guy like Floyd.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts