Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

**Mayweather retires!!**

8K views 150 replies 31 participants last post by  BALISTIK 
#1 ·
Is this for real??

Dear Media:
It is with a heavy heart that I write you this message today. I have decided to permanently retire from boxing. This decision was not an easy one for me to make as boxing is all I have done since I was a child. However, these past few years have been extremely difficult for me to find the desire and joy to continue in the sport. I have said numerous times and after several of my fights over the past two years that I might not fight again. At the same time, I loved competing and winning and also wanted to continue my career for the fans, knowing they were there for me and enjoyed watching me fight. However, after many sleepless nights and intense soul-searching I realized I could no longer base my decision on anything but my own personal happiness, which I no longer could find. So I have finally made up my mind, spoken to my family, particularly my mother, and made my decision. I am sorry I have to leave the sport at this time, knowing I still have my God-given abilities to succeed and future multi-million dollar paydays ahead, including the one right around the corner. But there comes a time when money doesn't matter. I just can't do it anymore. I have found a peace with my decision that I have not felt in a long time. Finally, I want to personally thank all of my fans for their loyalty and dedication as my career comes to a close. I always believed that their enthusiasm and support helped carry me to victory with every fight I ever had. It was a great joy to have fought for all of you. Now I hope you understand my decision and wish me well with the rest of my life.
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

from fightnews

See less See more
#20 ·
dunno if this is true but no way that is from floyld mouth. just reading those words it is clear that it is written by a woman that is aged 50 or so. very sweet anyway

#25 ·
if it is a dupe then i wouldn't be surprised. it just doesn't sound like floyld in that letter. when you have listened to a man many times before then you can imagine what he says. if not that then you can atleast tell if it is what he would say. if it is fake then i'm gutted for the guy who got banned over this thread lol

#24 ·
This better not be true. Cotto-Mayweather has to happen.

#30 ·
the same story is on a lot of places. i just hope that it's one of his antics and he is only seeing what the fans want and if he can get more money to come back. he aint called money mayweather for nuttin. he's a smart guy in terms of finance. if you want him to be the bad guy he will play the bad guy to get you to buy his fight. if you want him to fight a cotto he will make you really want him to fight cotto.

#32 ·
I hope he is done so that the boxing world can move on. I wanted him to end up with a loss on his record, but just to have him out of the way will be nice, if in fact he stays out. Like I have said so many times, I would believe the fight of Mayweather versus Cotto when I actually saw it. It was never going to happen. I had very little doubt about that.

#34 ·
Pound-for-pound king and welterweight world champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. announced his retirement from boxing Friday.

Floyd Mayweather Jr., who defeated Oscar De La Hoya in May 2007, finishes his career 39-0.
"It is with a heavy heart that I write you this message today," Mayweather, 31, said in a statement. "I have decided to permanently retire from boxing. This decision was not an easy one for me to make, as boxing is all I have done since I was a child. However, these past few years have been extremely difficult for me to find the desire and joy to continue in the sport."

The retirement means that Mayweather's scheduled Sept. 20 rematch with Oscar De La Hoya is off.

"I have been informed of Floyd's decision and I wish him good luck," Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com. "I wish him good luck in his retirement. We will move on. Sometime next week I will announce a big fight for Oscar. There are different names out there and I will be working diligently to announce in the coming days Oscar's next fight."

Bob Arum, here promoting Kelly Pavlik's middleweight defense against Gary Lockett on Saturday night, promoted Mayweather for most of his career until an acrimonious split.

Still, Arum also wished him well in retirement.

"I commend Floyd Mayweather for being so forthright," Arum said. "He's had a wonderful career. He's decided to retire and to announce publicly his intention. I think we should all applaud him for his candor and his forthrightness. Boxing is a very dangerous sport and it involves serious risk of injury every time a person steps into the ring. Floyd has accumulated a large nest egg through his fighting and promotional abilities the past couple of years and I, for one, see no reason why he should subject himself to additional risk when he appears to be set financially."

Mayweather (39-0, 25 KOs) won a bronze medal in the 1996 Olympics and went on to win world championships at junior lightweight, lightweight, junior welterweight, welterweight and junior middleweight.

Dan Rafael is ESPN.com's boxing writer.

Something seems fishy with arum being so nice. Can someone say Cotto?

#56 ·
firstly, arum is nice because he knows that both fighters are very close and both are a huge threat to each other. he knows floyld is the only one who people feel could beat cotto. well i'll wait and see marg being dealt with first. some how i have got a bad feeling about marg now. anyway secondly he knows he will make some bucks if cotto fights oscar. oscar doesn't have many names to fight that are huge. cotto would be one if he beats marg. if cotto beats oscar then cotto will be so damn famous and arum will be singing in the rain. cotto is a ncie guy, nice style of boxing for the mainstream and has a country behind him. he will be the new pacquiao or tito.

pavlik seems like he will be the white and american dream.

pac is a hero in the filipines.

cotto will be a huge idol too.

arum's doing good **** with 3 very fine boxers.

#35 ·
Nate knows his boxing.

Whoever did this whether it was Floyd or a fake was smart about it. I letter can't be asked questions about authenticity. Also, it was released right around cut off time on a Friday which leads into the weekend. I find it suspicious that it was released at this time. It was dropped as soon as the last sports show for the day aired. Just weird.

#43 ·
This is actually good news for all of us that never wanted to see the Delahoya/Mayweather rematch.

These are the scenario:

1.Cotto defeats Margarito. With a little push from Max Kellerman or Larry Merchant, "Miguel, what do you have to say about Floyd mayweather retiring".

Cotto, "Floyd Mayweather is a coward and retired because he is scared of me"

Mayweather to Ellerbe, "Make the fukking fight happen, Roger get my running shoes".

2. Mayweather doesn't take the bait. Delahoya chooses Cotto for his last fight. Cotto defeats The Golden Boy, Mayweather comes out of retirement in 2009 and we have ourselfs a SUPER-SUPER-FIGHT, bigger then it was orignally supposed to be.

3. Mayweather stays retired, grows old and never comes back. But that's because Miguel Cotto failed to beat Margarito OR beat him but failed to defeat Delahoya.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.