Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Floyd Mayweather Sr., who recently rekindled his father/son relationship with Floyd Mayweather Jr., after many years of being estranged from one another, spent the last two weeks training his son for his upcoming battle on May 5th against Oscar De La Hoya. Mayweather Sr., who was De La Hoya's trainer until overpricing his services, is now also out as his son's trainer. Mayweather Sr. who is highly regarded and respected as a trainer, was working for free as a trainer to his son, but is being replaced by Roger Mayweather, his brother.

Roger Mayweather who was serving time in a Nevada jail for battery on his son's grandmother, was released on Monday and will settle back to his regular position as trainer to Mayweather Jr. Roger has been Jr's trainer since the late 1990's, and before that Jr. was trained by his father.

Mayweather Sr. was quoted by USA Today on the subject if he expects to be in his son's corner when Floyd Jr. fights Oscar De La Hoya. Mayweather Sr's responded with, "I don't."

Mayweather Sr. who recently was ousted by De La Hoya as his trainer and replaced by Manny Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach, isn't angry about his brief two week training stint with his son. In fact the elder Mayweather has accepted that he more than likely won't be working his son's corner.

Quoted in USA Today, Mayweather Sr. said: "People say things, and people do things. But I've got no problem with my son. He called to tell me Roger was training him again, and I can respect that. The message he left was all positive. He said, 'I love you, you're a great trainer and I know we've had our differences, but I hope we can be father and son.' At the end of the day, our relationship is the most important thing. That's bigger than the fight."

·
Registered
707 Posts
I think we all knew this would happen it just happened about a week or two before I expected ( if you look about at my old post i figure about April 5th or so)as far as being a non-issue unless you have access to the training camp I don't think any of us can say for sure it is is our not an issue. The bad vibes have to be thick in the camp regarless of what face Floyd sr. and jr are trying to spin on it. and the fact that Shane is helping Oscar has to be a big deal for Roger the trainer.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
DAMMM, Daddy was trying to get close and his cold Blooded son send him packing again why could'nd he have been second man on the corner ,who knows ,probably him and roger can get alone worth a dammm . The biggest looser in this tale seems to be Floyd SR no 2 million from DeLaHoya and not even a crumb from his own flesh and blood DAMMM maybe some will invite him to see the PPV

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Sr. is fine. Floyd has been with Roger for years and Sr. was just helping out. He knew that Roger would be his cornerman regardless. If it aint broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Free Invitation!

BJ PENN FORMER WELTER WEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE (UFC)
ULTIMATE FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIP, WANTS TO SAY. CHECKOUT HIS ON-LINE
TRAINING @ bjpenn.com AND WATCH A EXCITING FULL CONTACT TEST FOR FREE!!! COME CHECK IT OUT. MAHALO!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
hey bud, relax a little. I know its a boxing forum but its not going to hurt any1. just skip over it. just like if you don't like what you are watching, change the channel.

·
Registered
231 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd come on none of us know whats really going on yet for sure there had to be drama between the fam for him to let go of his father again. Im In Vegas and I dont know any true story yet besides Sr side of the story.. have we had a Jr interview yet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
from all the bouts i seen with you 2 as a team your family is stronger than any critic. good luck guys. oh yeah didnt mean to offend anyone but we're just giving back for free. and we have alot of boxing check it out! aloha! mahalo!

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
PosterBoy702 said:
PrettyBoyFloyd come on none of us know whats really going on yet for sure there had to be drama between the fam for him to let go of his father again. Im In Vegas and I dont know any true story yet besides Sr side of the story.. have we had a Jr interview yet?
Floyd has yet to comment. He did however say on the day it all happened that there was no bad blood and he loved his father very much and that it wasn't a personal thing.

An interview is expected by Friday.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Ha me neither man. I don't think he will speak on it though. Usually when Floyd gets this close to fight night he limits his personal comments to the media and tends to speak only about the fight and talk sh*t.

However, I don't see how he can NOT say anything about it after all the previous occurrances. We'll see....

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I dont care to much for Floyd, but hoppefully he and his father can put things behind them. I think it was a good thing that DLH didnt have SR train him. No way could I train someone to beat up my son, I don't care how much money I was offered.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Agreed. It would take a very ruthless man to do the likes. Haha, I know there's someone out there who would do it.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Agreed. It would take a very ruthless man to do the likes. Haha, I know there's someone out there who would do it.
did'nt Floyd sr do time for drugs? what kind of man is that who would facilitate drugs to other peoples kids and did he not name his price,belive it, had he gotten his 2 mill thats excatly what he would had done, sold out his son,quicker than a crack ad**** takes a hit.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I was being sarcastic bro. I know for a fact he would have trained Oscar had he paid up. Sr. sold crack for many years. He is a f'd up guy but he knows his boxing. As the saying goes everyone has a price. Floyd just wants his self and his father to be just that. Floyd grew up with 6 other siblings living in one room together. I am in no way defending his actions just putting a little perspective to it.

All in all, the past is just that. So leave it at that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts