Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Floyd Mayweather Snr will train Ricky Hatton for his showdown with Paulie Malignaggi in Las Vegas on November 22.

The American, father of Floyd junior, the only fighter to beat the Hitman in the professional ranks, takes over from Billy Graham.

Hatton parted company with his long-time trainer in July and will now team up with the 55-year-old Mayweather, who will travel to Manchester to oversee preparations.

Team Hatton member Lee Beard will assist the new man in charge ahead of the fight against current IBF light-welterweight champion Malignaggi.

Learning
"At this stage of my career I am not going to change my style too much but you are never too old to learn," said Hatton on the appointment.

"I have spoken with my team and we are all sure that I'll benefit from Floyd's incredible knowledge.

"The fight against Malignaggi is make or break and I'm convinced this will be the best training camp I have ever had.

"I can't thank the Village Hotel enough for all the help they have given me and it is fantastic they are backing a local lad in his quest to become the world's top pound-for-pound fighter."

Mayweather is likely to be a busy man in the coming months as he also trains Oscar de la Hoya. The Golden Boy takes on Manny Pacquiao on December 6.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Wow I can see them butting heads already. Graham would have gotten down on his knees whenever Hatton told him to. Mayweather seems to have sort of a **** you, do what I say attitude to his training. They should make a TV show out of it.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
I won't beleived till I see it, Hatton's got some nerve after making fun of Floyds training methods, and Sr traveling to England I dout it his stable is down here, let Hatton come down....

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I won't beleived till I see it, Hatton's got some nerve after making fun of Floyds training methods, and Sr traveling to England I dout it his stable is down here, let Hatton come down....
According to all the major TV stations it's happening, and Hatton may go to America to hold a joint camp with Oscar de la Hoya.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
I actually can't wait. Watching Hatton trying to shoulder roll is going to be fukking hilarious.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
According to all the major TV stations it's happening, and Hatton may go to America to hold a joint camp with Oscar de la Hoya.
Now that makes sense, it will be good for him to come down here, there's lots of matchups that can be made for him..

there goes any potential Oscar v Hatton fight ever happening.

Good move.
Forget DLH maybe a real bad ass jr welter will pick a fight with him

I actually can't wait. Watching Hatton trying to shoulder roll is going to be fukking hilarious.
The guy is a Rockem Sockem Robot, what would be hillarious to watch is Floyd Sr trying to keep his pacience when he sees what he has to work with...the man has a very short fuse :laugh:

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
As soon as Hatton and Oscar became partners that potential fight went out the window.
I don't think so, if Hatton woulve wanted it this time around he wouldve been the opponent instead of Pacquiao. De La Hoya-Hatton might happen next year only 2 ifs have to happen, Floyd turning down the fight and Hatton accepting it. He didn't want that beatdown from Oscar this year, he probably won't want it next year.
Now that makes sense, it will be good for him to come down here, there's lots of matchups that can be made for him..

Forget DLH maybe a real bad ass jr welter will pick a fight with him

The guy is a Rockem Sockem Robot, what would be hillarious to watch is Floyd Sr trying to keep his pacience when he sees what he has to work with...the man has a very short fuse :laugh:
:laugh:I might sign up at that gym just to see that ish.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Oh I am laughing my ass off right now. I had a feeling this was going to happen. What makes it so funny is that Hatton made fun of all that pitty pat stuff, and now he's going to be practicing it. I still remember Floyd Sr making fun of that body bag crap that Graham used. I'd bet my house there won't be any lame ass body bag training in Hatton's camp this time.
I don't think so, if Hatton woulve wanted it this time around he wouldve been the opponent instead of Pacquiao. De La Hoya-Hatton might happen next year only 2 ifs have to happen, Floyd turning down the fight and Hatton accepting it. He didn't want that beatdown from Oscar this year, he probably won't want it next year.

:laugh:I might sign up at that gym just to see that ish.
:laugh::laugh:

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Oh I am laughing my ass off right now. I had a feeling this was going to happen. What makes it so funny is that Hatton made fun of all that pitty pat stuff, and now he's going to be practicing it. I still remember Floyd Sr making fun of that body bag crap that Graham used. I'd bet my house there won't be any lame ass body bag training in Hatton's camp this time.

:laugh::laugh:
:laugh:I'm telling you, they're from different planets,after the first three days Hatton is gonna ask himself WTF was I doing over there in England , It's gonna be like a kid in elementary school, being taught by a Harvard professor...of hard knocks that is......

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
:laugh:I'm telling you, they're from different planets,after the first three days Hatton is gonna ask himself WTF was I doing over there in England , It's gonna be like a kid in elementary school, being taught by a Harvard professor...of hard knocks that is......
LMAO. That just made me spit up my drink man!!

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
You rarely see 2 high profile golden boy fighters duke it out (except at 135 but these guy are not huge draws). It's counterproductive. That's why Oscar/Mosley 3 will never happen.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
If Floyd can't get RIcky to be more defensive, Ricky can still knock the block off of just about anyone in his weight class. If Floyd can get Ricky to change jsut a couple things, everybody within 12 pounds of Ricky is in trouble. The guy could be a monster.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
You rarely see 2 high profile golden boy fighters duke it out (except at 135 but these guy are not huge draws). It's counterproductive. That's why Oscar/Mosley 3 will never happen.
For the most part, you're right it is counterproductive, but big short term money sometimes over rides that. De La Hoya offered the December fight to Hatton before Pacquiao even though Ricky had the fight with Malianaggi already scheduled. The primary reason we'll never see Oscar-Shane 3 because Oscar only has 1 or 2 fights left in him and he fought Mosley twice already and neither on of them went over 950,000 buys, plus Mosley has that fight against Mayorga that was scheduled past when Oscar wanted to wait. DLH-Hatton, DLH-Pacquiao, would do over 1 million against Mosley it won't.

btw Marquez-Barrera
If Floyd can't get RIcky to be more defensive, Ricky can still knock the block off of just about anyone in his weight class. If Floyd can get Ricky to change jsut a couple things, everybody within 12 pounds of Ricky is in trouble. The guy could be a monster.
:laugh: No, really you serious?

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
For the most part, you're right it is counterproductive, but big short term money sometimes over rides that. De La Hoya offered the December fight to Hatton before Pacquiao even though Ricky had the fight with Malianaggi already scheduled. The primary reason we'll never see Oscar-Shane 3 because Oscar only has 1 or 2 fights left in him and he fought Mosley twice already and neither on of them went over 950,000 buys, plus Mosley has that fight against Mayorga that was scheduled past when Oscar wanted to wait. DLH-Hatton, DLH-Pacquiao, would do over 1 million against Mosley it won't.

btw Marquez-Barrera
JMM/MAB was like a passing of the torch type of fight. After that fight JMM got the recognition he deserved.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
If Sr is the genious he thinks he is , he won't try to change everything about Ricky but rather improve on the good that's all ready there, teach him a few tricks, but no matter what he'll never master the mitts the way Jr did, never:laugh:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts