• The new undisputed welterweight champ

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Trainer for Zab Judah?

There will be a different face in Zab Judah’s corner, the next time he fights. Yes, we’ve heard this before, but according to Zab’s father, Yo’el Judah, the time is right for Zab to get a new trainer. The time is also right for Yo’el, who has trained Zab for his entire career, to form a promotional company and to start promoting Zab’s fights, and the drudgery of handling the promotional side of boxing will be too much to allow him to also train his son.

“I can’t do both,” Yo’el said from Las Vegas where his son now lives and where Yo’el now has a promoter’s license. “This is what he wants and this is what I want. Zab’s a veteran and as long as he’s doing his thing, he’ll be ok. He knows how to train. I’m just going to be too busy promoting to also be able to train him.”

The most prominent name mentioned to train Zab is Floyd Mayweather Sr., Yo’el said.
Of Zab’s last fight, which ended in a technical decision loss to Joshua Clottey Aug. 2, Yo el would say: “It was a bad decision, stopped because of the cuts. But we know the game. We let Bob Arum [promote Judah] with no options. As a promoter, he has Clottey off promoter and managerial options, and he has Zab on nothing. So, if we had won, we would have walked away from Arum with [no options].”

Yo’el also said that Arum has inquired about Zab fighting a rematch with Clottey, or possibly facing Antonio Margarito or Miguel Cotto down the road. Furthermore, Dan Goossen, Paul Williams’ promoter, called him Thursday about fighting Williams in November or December. Finally, Yo’el said that Lou DiBella called him about having Berto face Zab on Jan.19.

“Everyone wants to fight Zab,” Yo’el said. “We know that we’re very marketable, and we know that when Zab comes, he’s going to fight, win, lose, or draw. Zab is like an Arturo Gatti at this point. Sometimes, a lot of good can come from a loss.”

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This might be the life line Judah needed some one to trow at him, hope fully he and Floyd Sr will get alone and he won't remind SR of Floyd Jr:laugh:
Unless it's Yoel making the choice for him, I don't see Floyd and Judah working together for long, not a lot of fighters can deal with the critique Sr. brings. Floyd Jr. is way more dedicated then Judah and wasn't able to handle it, but if they can stay together maybe he can show Judah how to consistently avoid a straight right and go 12 rounds strong, maybe he can get him down to 140 which would be a career resurection.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Unless it's Yoel making the choice for him, I don't see Floyd and Judah working together for long, not a lot of fighters can deal with the critique Sr. brings. Floyd Jr. is way more dedicated then Judah and wasn't able to handle it, but if they can stay together maybe he can show Judah how to consistently avoid a straight right and go 12 rounds strong, maybe he can get him down to 140 which would be a career resurection.
I agree that Mayweather Sr can be brutal to work with and perhaps that's gonna cause a clash of personalities with the undiciplined Judah, who knows I'd like to see what develops, maybe yoel and Floyd sr will go at it..:laugh:

Won't be much of a difference. Zab has become a stepping stome at this point. A nice name to have on your resume and it's a bonus if you can knock him out.
At this point you could very well be right, this is something that should'off happened back when Judah lost to Kasta syu, now it may be too late, I'm curious thoug to see if Sr can work his magic...

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Zabs problem is lack of stamina, laziness and mentality. He would be fine at 140. He would have to work hard to make 140 which would get his stamina at its right spot and put his laziness in check. He could smoke the likes of hatton, torres, malignaggi im sure of. He still has potential. He's just to small for 147 anymore.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Zabs problem is lack of stamina, laziness and mentality. He would be fine at 140. He would have to work hard to make 140 which would get his stamina at its right spot and put his laziness in check. He could smoke the likes of hatton, torres, malignaggi im sure of. He still has potential. He's just to small for 147 anymore.
Good post man. I agree with all of this. Zab at 140 would be a force. I'm not sure what's keeping him from moving down. I'm 100% sure he can make that weight. It is all about money. I don't think Hatton would EVER fight him at 140, and after Hatton at 140 the most money is at 147 to be honest.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
No difference. Judah will stay the same

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
It won't help a damn thing in one fight unless Zab goes back to 140. 147 is just too big and tough for Zab Judah.
At this point ! no way in hell he goes to 140....

All the problems you mentinoned plus his age are the facts why he won't go to 140 at this point ,are you kidding?

No difference. Judah will stay the same
once a bum allways a bum...

Judah will never be champion again. Especially not at 147
It sure looks that way, or in any other weight cathegory, maybe in the next life, MAYBE :laugh:

G

·
This change is too late in Zab's career, it's not going to make much of a difference. I was impressed with him against Clottey and I think he has a legitimate chance of winning a belt at 140. But changing trainers at this stage won't help his cause much.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Zab can't touch Hatton at 140. If that fight ever happens I'd put every red penny I have on Hatton.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Zab can't touch Hatton at 140. If that fight ever happens I'd put every red penny I have on Hatton.
Prime vs prime at 140 Judah wins IMO but Hatton would give him hell. Now this version of Hatton (who gets hurt by quick counters from former lightweights) would get brutally stopped mid-way even by this version of Judah.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts