Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The upcoming fight between Andre Berto and Miki Rodriguez will now be for the vacant WBC title. Thoughts/opinions?

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Why would he do that , is it cause of the legal mess he's got going on with Bob Arum, and are Berto and that other guy the top contenders or is Arum setting himself a cash cow......?

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He doesn't plan on defending it by the October deadline. He's fighting Oscar in September and that fight will most likely be at 150. Berto is #1 and Rodriguez #2 with the WBC.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Old Floyd is going after the cash again , he probably figures what does he need a belt for anyways...I'm telling you it wouldn't surprise me to see Floyd retire all of the sudden I'm sure he feels he's got enough money to last him 3 life times, who needs all the torture with all that money....

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I don't see Oscar making 147. Floyd giving up the belt makes it even clearer that they have already discussed the fight being at 150 or higher.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
If Floyd is not fighting Oscar at 147 than it makes sense to give up the belt
In Floyds case I'm sure is a little more complicated than that, a champioship belt is the best barganing tool to have.
that's why I feel he's close to saying seeyah, unless you know you're never gonna fight at that weight again ever why would you give up such a price possesion...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Flotd doesn't need a belt anyway. his #1 p4p is WAY more valuable then any belt he could hold. but anyway, wow, what an oppurtunity for Berto. to get Floyds old belt is a huge responsibilty and puts him in for big fights with any of the top welters. fantastic.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Flotd doesn't need a belt anyway. his #1 p4p is WAY more valuable then any belt he could hold. but anyway, wow, what an oppurtunity for Berto. to get Floyds old belt is a huge responsibilty and puts him in for big fights with any of the top welters. fantastic.
If I wer Floyd I would have used that move to my advantage in trying to get was owed to him by Bo bArum , I mean in a way he's setting Arum with a Superstar wich is gonna make him alot of money no?

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Old Floyd is going after the cash again , he probably figures what does he need a belt for anyways...I'm telling you it wouldn't surprise me to see Floyd retire all of the sudden I'm sure he feels he's got enough money to last him 3 life times, who needs all the torture with all that money....
I'm glad he vacated the belt, one less thing his fans can't b*tch about. Floyd doesn't need anymore money your right, but he likes money and as much as he likes money, deep down he loves boxing more. You do something your entire life for 25 years or so and then give it up all at once, give up the fame, the glory, the money. Floyd loves boxing. He's not going to retire for good anytime soon, maybe 2 or 3 years. Saying he will and actually doing are 2 different things.

In Floyds case I'm sure is a little more complicated than that, a champioship belt is the best barganing tool to have.
that's why I feel he's close to saying seeyah, unless you know you're never gonna fight at that weight again ever why would you give up such a price possesion...
Floyd is p4p number 1 and holds the ring magazine belt, the wbc belt means nothing compared to the ring belt.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you think of Floyd Mayweather do you first think about the WBC welterweight belt or the best active boxer? Let's not turn this into a love/hate thread.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I dont think anyone is trying to do that Shane, but when you think of floyd, you dont think of wbc belt, you think of best welterweight in the world and best boxer in the world. However, you know exactly how this thread is goign to turn out.

Even with all the haters saying floyd should vacate the belt or he's a coward. Now that he has done so, they will complain about something else.

·
Registered
830 Posts
You guys are as bad as anyone that you complain about.

You are effectively setting up a very simplistic childhood us versus then argument where you are placing anyone who is not in full agreement with you in the them camp, which you then refer to as haters.

I take it you use the word hater to mean a bit of a prat as well or at least to denote someone who is negative and attacking.

But you guys are doing exactly that by choosing the words you do and by being such floyd luvvies.

They are two sides of the same coin.

P.S

Maybe people can have views on this subject matter without them being black or white, has that ever occured to you:dunno:

Poor comments guys, silly and poor.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Read my post again. I said lets not turn this into a love/hate thing. How about you comment on the boxing topic and not the drama side.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
What an oppurtunity for Berto!!! Hes gonna be the WBC ww champ :O So his next fight is gonna be against one of the top ww :) Lot of great matchups to be made :D

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
You guys are as bad as anyone that you complain about.

You are effectively setting up a very simplistic childhood us versus then argument where you are placing anyone who is not in full agreement with you in the them camp, which you then refer to as haters.

I take it you use the word hater to mean a bit of a prat as well or at least to denote someone who is negative and attacking.

But you guys are doing exactly that by choosing the words you do and by being such floyd luvvies.

They are two sides of the same coin.

P.S

Maybe people can have views on this subject matter without them being black or white, has that ever occured to you:dunno:

Poor comments guys, silly and poor.

What in gods name are you talkin gabout? Especially about the black and white crap. You brought that up all on your own. Read the post before you make ignorant comments like that.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
What an oppurtunity for Berto!!! Hes gonna be the WBC ww champ :O So his next fight is gonna be against one of the top ww :) Lot of great matchups to be made :D

I agree man, Bertos Manager even talked about fighting floyd in a year or 2.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree. This is a great opportunity for Berto. I hope he looks really good against Rodriguez so that we can get excited about the new title holder.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Yeah a altho it might be too early to say he could fight quintana vs williams winner to unify titles and fight Margarito vs Cotto winner since it looks like mayweather might be fighting Hatton again. And if that goes down Cotto should be the undisputed ww champ by mid 09. Talk about a mega fight late/early 09/10 Undisputed ww champ vs the p4p king. Im problaby just dreaming but that would kick ass.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The probelms of just giving up belts in this manner;

A)
Giving up titles means you can give up mandatory challengers (not that the WBC have ever even whispered the word mandatory to Floyd).

B)
Giving up the belt can also mean that the ranking system fails to mean much at all as an individual fighter.

C)
It also means that you are the only judge on who merits a fight.

D)
In a way you are putting yourself on a pedastal above the sport itself.

I can say all that without regard to Floyd at all.

That is not loving or hating, it is an opinion on actions like this by anyone.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.