Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apart from Oscar De La Hoya, add Ricky Hatton and Floyd Mayweather, Jr. in the mix when it comes to possible future foes for Manny Pacquiao.

In an interview with the daily morning Philippine radio program “Sports Chat” last Tuesday, American trainer Freddie Roach said Hatton is being mentioned by Golden Boy Promotions as a potential opponent for Pacquiao.

“They’re talking about Manny Pacquiao as future opponent for somebody like Ricky Hatton down the line,” said Roach.

Pacquiao, who will be celebrating his 29th birthday on the 17th, is set to challenge bitter Mexican rival Juan Manuel Marquez, the World Boxing Council (WBC) super featherweight champion, on March 15 at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Roach said these developments make the Marquez fight very crucial for Pacquiao, especially if Hatton decides to return to his natural weight at 140.

Roach said a Dela Hoya-Pacquiao fight, which has been talked about the past couple of weeks, looks unfeasible for the hall-of-fame trainer.

"I don’t believe Oscar can go down to 147. I’m not that sure if that will work out. But against Ricky Hatton who’s maybe just as popular in his home country, it will be a huge fight for everybody,” added Roach. “That makes the Marquez fight that much more important for Manny.”

In the same interview, Roach laid out his initial training plans for Pacquiao in preparation for the Marquez fight.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Keep the big fights coming!! I know he's not a top draw like the others but im sure the Baby Bull will be around there wanting part of the both aswell.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't think any of them will happen but god forgive me I'd damn near blow De La Hoya if he could get any of them together. Those would be classic fights.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Hatton vs. Pac at 140 would be awesome, id love to see that. I think 140 is the highest Pac can go though, so i dont see the Floyd or especially the Oscar fight ever happening.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
hell, pac comes into his fights weighing 140lbs + pounds anyway, so him and hatton is definately doable. floyd could make 140lbs, but i wouldn't want to see him fight pac. he'd batter pac from post to post:cheeky4: i think ricky would too, but it would be more competitive.

·
Registered
229 Posts
BigDigga said:
hell, pac comes into his fights weighing 140lbs + pounds anyway, so him and hatton is definately doable. floyd could make 140lbs, but i wouldn't want to see him fight pac. he'd batter pac from post to post:cheeky4: i think ricky would too, but it would be more competitive.
I don't know Pac is pretty good. Think it would be tough for either to really look good against him. But your right on Pac weighing in over 140 for fights. Think any of the fights are doable I just don't think they will happen...maybe the De La Hoya fight but that wouldn't be as good as the other 2.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Having just thought about it, i don't know if Ricky would like this fight. Pac is a southpaw, Ricky has always looked terrible against them (Magee, Collazo, Urango).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hatton V Pacquiao would be incredible if it was ever made!!!

Gotta go with Ricky in that fight though, but it would be a serious battle!

I think Ricky would dominate him in the ring for most of the fight and a round 7/8 KO!

How would that shake up P4P lists though...

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Chris said:
I don't know Pac is pretty good. Think it would be tough for either to really look good against him. But your right on Pac weighing in over 140 for fights. Think any of the fights are doable I just don't think they will happen...maybe the De La Hoya fight but that wouldn't be as good as the other 2.
all 3 fights are doable, but only one i would consider paying for is hatton/pacquiao. i like pac, but i don't think his power would be effective fighting 140lbs+ fighters. especially ones as quick as mayweather, and to a lesser extent hatton.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So what? You think Manny would win?

Plenty of American fighters I like too...

Also, you seem to constantly bash the 'european' fighters and ridicule their opponents...

·
Registered
229 Posts
mck_776 said:
So what? You think Manny would win?

Plenty of American fighters I like too...

Also, you seem to constantly bash the 'european' fighters and ridicule their opponents...
Pac would be a tough fight for Hatton I will say that much but I would put my money on the younger Hatton to win by decision.

actually no I like Hatton. I'm sure it just feels that way because every time someone bashes a boxer from the UK you seem to catch feelings about the fact. I bash any boxer I feel like bashing. Whether it be Joe Calazghe, Ricardo Mayorga, Felix Trinidad or Vernon Forrest.

Joe Calazghe deserves every bit of it too. He ducks every fighter who poses a threat against his unbeaten record.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hatton would beat Pac in the FOTY. This is the fight that should happen by the end of 2008. Last year the thought of Floyd fighting Pac came up on this board and I would like to see that fight also, but for that to happen Pac would have to beat JMM and Hatton and another top guy. Just to build up enough hype for Floyd to want the fight also

·
Registered
118 Posts
Manny is actually the younger fighter... hehe

It would be a great fight for the fans, but I don't think it would be a great fight for Manny, unless he gets a good few light-welter wins going before taking on Ricky.

Maybe I do take the 'euro-bashing' a bit personal, but I don't ridicule the american fighters I don't like... Like Taylor...:p

·
Registered
229 Posts
mck_776 said:
Manny is actually the younger fighter... hehe

It would be a great fight for the fans, but I don't think it would be a great fight for Manny, unless he gets a good few light-welter wins going before taking on Ricky.
wow, good catch. I thought Pac was in his mid-30s.

think your underestimating Pac as well. Yeah, Pac has never fought in a division above 130 but he started at light flyweight(108) and has been moving up ever since. I imagine he will be moving up again after he fight with Marquez in March. He's been moving into bigger divisions his whole career I don't think it will be that big to move up again against Hatton. I mean he moved up into a fight with Erik Morales for the WBC & IBA title in his first fight at Super Flyweight. Think thats a little bigger then moving up to fight Ricky Hatton.(granted he did lose that first fight to Morales so you never know.)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah, Pac is an awesome fighter, but I don't think he will have the power to hurt Hatton enough if he moves up straight away. Floyd even commented that he was sure he had hurt Ricky, but Ricky just kept coming.

At 140, I'm not so sure Pac could take Ricky's constant pressure and the pummelling as he unloads on him hehe Ricky is strong and light-welter...

I'd love to see Pac do well if he moves up as he's a great boxer, just not beat Ricky :p

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Id go with Ricky! I really dont ever see Pac and Floyd but Ricky v Pac will make money and therefore make sense if Pac does the business v Marquez and then at lightweight.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts