Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Michael Jennings fight went from WBO eliminator to vacant title fight thanks to Paul Williams vacating the title. Miguel Cotto's career has become a series of won World Championship belts without ever beating a single reigning champion to earn one.

1st world title: Vacant WBO JWW Championship, defeated Kelson Pinto. Who?

2nd world title: Vacant WBA WW Championship, defeated Carlos Quintana. Quintana, a man who's career will most likely be highlighted as the first guy to beat Paul Williams on an off night.

3rd world title: Vacant WBO WW Championship, soon to defeat Michael Jennings to capture it. Are you shitting me?

If I did a notable wins list for all 3 of these fighters combined I couldn't produce 3 names. In fact Quintana is the only one with notable wins at all, and Joel Julio as his second notable win is nearly a stretch. Yet these were the men Cotto had to beat to become a 2 division 3 time World Champion. Wow. What used to be great accomplishments in boxing are turning into great jokes.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Quintana had just soundly beaten the undefeated 2006 Prospect of the Year Top 25 Prospects Under 25 (2006) 2005 ESPN Prospect of the Year Joel Julio.

Cotto destroyed the undefeated Quintana and it didn't take him 2 fights to do it either.

Go harp on Clottey: undefeated Quintana>beaten down undersized Judah or Berto: undefeated Quintana>Miki Rodriguez or Froch: undefeated Quintana>undefeated Pascal or anyone else that's won a vacant title. Your penalizing Cotto for being at the right place at the right time.

G

·
Quintana had just soundly beaten the undefeated 2006 Prospect of the Year Top 25 Prospects Under 25 (2006) 2005 ESPN Prospect of the Year Joel Julio.

Cotto destroyed the undefeated Quintana and it didn't take him 2 fights to do it either.

Go harp on Clottey: undefeated Quintana>beaten down undersized Judah or Berto: undefeated Quintana>Miki Rodriguez or Froch: undefeated Quintana>undefeated Pascal or anyone else that's won a vacant title. Your penalizing Cotto for being at the right place at the right time.
That would be a legit argument if the previous title holder (Paul Williams) wasn't looking for anyone of note to defend it against. PW didn't vacate the title because he didn't want it. He vacated it because he wants to get in the ring, as the titleholder or not. Guys like Cotto and Jennings weren't interested in the title until it became vacant.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

All 3 times? He's not that lucky, he's just avoiding beating champions.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Yeah that makes alot of sense. That must have been why he took the Margarito fight when he didn't have to. :facepalm:
Thats because everyone thought he'd beat Margaritoeasily WRONG!!!!
I'm not knocking Cotto at all I think he is a top welterweight BUT I agree with Obama ( That in itself scares me LOL)that a Cotto-Jenning world title fight is preposterous. I wonder if they'd have accepted Williams defending that title against Jenning?? Of course not

G

·
Jennings wouldn't fight PW anyways. He was quoted saying that he'd rather fight Cotto. Well, he got his wish, boxing fans don't get theirs.

G

·
Thats because everyone thought he'd beat Margaritoeasily WRONG!!!!
I'm not knocking Cotto at all I think he is a top welterweight BUT I agree with Obama ( That in itself scares me LOL)that a Cotto-Jenning world title fight is preposterous. I wonder if they'd have accepted Williams defending that title against Jenning?? Of course not
Not everyone thought he'd beat Margarito easily. The Cotto-Jennings fight is a joke but the WBO can be blamed for that along with Top Rank, Cotto wasn't keen on taking this fight but Arum threatened that if he didn't he'd have no tune-up for Margarito, and that would be a disaster.

Margarito was a title defense, he wasn't trying to win a title. I didn't say his title defenses were bogus. :cop:
I know but the way you put it was like he's avoiding fighting champions. What sense does that make when he fought the most dangerous fighter in the division? And Margarito wasn't even a manditory, nor was he the first time the fight was supposed to happen. The fight was originally planned to be a unification fight with Margarito's IBF belt on the line aswell if I remember right.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm noticing how people elect to defend the only semi-credible title fight of the 3. Just pretend the other 2 didn't really happen eh guys? :laugh: He's going to be a 3 time world champion, not a one time world champion. Justify it or agree with me.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The Michael Jennings fight went from WBO eliminator to vacant title fight thanks to Paul Williams vacating the title. Miguel Cotto's career has become a series of won World Championship belts without ever beating a single reigning champion to earn one.

1st world title: Vacant WBO JWW Championship, defeated Kelson Pinto. Who?

2nd world title: Vacant WBA WW Championship, defeated Carlos Quintana. Quintana, a man who's career will most likely be highlighted as the first guy to beat Paul Williams on an off night.

3rd world title: Vacant WBO WW Championship, soon to defeat Michael Jennings to capture it. Are you shitting me?

If I did a notable wins list for all 3 of these fighters combined I couldn't produce 3 names. In fact Quintana is the only one with notable wins at all, and Joel Julio as his second notable win is nearly a stretch. Yet these were the men Cotto had to beat to become a 2 division 3 time World Champion. Wow. What used to be great accomplishments in boxing are turning into great jokes.
Well, ill agree with you that its soft opposition to get world titles. though Carlos is a very good fighter, so i dont think he should be swept under the rug, if i remember correctly cotto was the underdog in the quintana fight though i could be wrong.

Anyway, Its not like thats the only fights Cotto has. Yes he may have gotten the belts too easily but once he got them he went out and fought the best opposition. Even when he had very little reason to fight Margy, a man who had just lost to Paul .W, he went out and fought him.

So i can see saying the opposition he got the titles from was week, but you cant possibly allude that he has faced weak opposition.

-Ian

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Well, ill agree with you that its soft opposition to get world titles. though Carlos is a very good fighter, so i dont think he should be swept under the rug, if i remember correctly cotto was the underdog in the quintana fight though i could be wrong.

Anyway, Its not like thats the only fights Cotto has. Yes he may have gotten the belts too easily but once he got them he went out and fought the best opposition. Even when he had very little reason to fight Margy, a man who had just lost to Paul .W, he went out and fought him.

So i can see saying the opposition he got the titles from was week, but you cant possibly allude that he has faced weak opposition.

-Ian
Solid post:thumbsup:

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No one's saying he defended his title against weak opposition as I've stated previously. But the 3 best guys he's fought he hasn't looked all that champion like in. Zab got him in trouble, so he fouled him....twice. He didn't really beat Mosley and just ran away down the stretch of the fight in the best performance I've ever seen him give. Then of course, he straight up got KOed by Margy. Hence why I don't consider him 3 time world champion material when he's still so young. He could end up a 8 time world champion at this rate getting these obscure vacant title shots.

G

·
1. Cotto beat Mosley in a close but clear decision. (popular opinion)

2. Cotto destroyed Zab and was going to regardless of the low blows. (popular opinion)

popular opinion > Obama opinion

Seriously this thead is for no other reason but to nit-pick at Cotto who is regarded as a warrior in the sport.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1. Cotto beat Mosley in a close but clear decision. (popular opinion)

2. Cotto destroyed Zab and was going to regardless of the low blows. (popular opinion)

popular opinion > Obama opinion

Seriously this thead is for no other reason but to nit-pick at Cotto who is regarded as a warrior in the sport.
1 is your opinion, you don't know if it's popular opinion. All the people I've talked to about that fight who are trainers / been around boxing all their lives believe otherwise. I'm pretty sure I saw a significant amount of people on this forum agree as well.

And 2, 2 isn't something I've contradicted. Simply stating Cotto wasn't willing to handle the adversity like a man and took the easy way out.

G

·
1 is your opinion, you don't know if it's popular opinion. All the people I've talked to about that fight who are trainers / been around boxing all their lives believe otherwise. I'm pretty sure I saw a significant amount of people on this forum agree as well.

And 2, 2 isn't something I've contradicted. Simply stating Cotto wasn't willing to handle the adversity like a man and took the easy way out.
1. The majority of boxing writers and experts, people on this forum, and people outsifde the internet think Cotto beat Mosley. It was close but clear. You saying "he didn't really beat Mosley" goes against popular opinion.

2. It's hard to tell whether or not the low blows were intentional, that's pure speculation by saying he took the easy way out.

PS. I can see an argument for a draw or even Mosley if we're stretching it. It was a close fight and the compubox stats were dead even at the end, which shows how close it was. Cotto landed the heavier blows though.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts