Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chorley boxer Jennings lands fight of a lifetime in New York (From This Is Lancashire)

"MICHAEL Jennings is set to fight Miguel Angel Cotto in a WBO welterweight elimination contest in New York next February.

The WBU champion will take on the 28-year-old Puerto Rican on St Valentine’s Day 2009 for the right to fight for the title.

Current WBO champion Paul Williams, who was another prospective opponent, is expected to vacate the title after opting to fight at light middleweight in his next outing against Verno Phillips for the interim WBO title."

I guess if there was ever a time to try and fight a guy way out of your league, now is as good of a time as any to fight Cotto if you're Jennings.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I'm not sold on that yet. I'm still waiting for a bigger source to inform this.

As far as I knew Cotto was going to face Soto Karass or Kermit Cintron.

Anyways, if this fight happens, Cotto will trample him with no doubt.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Yeah i know lol. He might have a little bit more of a fight than Gomez but Cotto's gonna probably want to shut it out quick because of his recent loss. Cotto's gonna come back with a vengeance. If i was Michael Jennings i would cover up my body heavily. I say Brutal K.O. and doesn't last past the 5th round.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh it will be brutal!

If he doesn't put him away early I'd be worried for him going in against Margarito.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
I'm not sold on that yet. I'm still waiting for a bigger source to inform this.

As far as I knew Cotto was going to face Soto Karass or Kermit Cintron.

Anyways, if this fight happens, Cotto will trample him with no doubt.
Me neither. First thing I looked at was where the link was from, I don't know that source, so I won't buy into this.

Cotto will fight one of those 2 you mentioned because they're as tall or taller than Margarito, ok names, and they might put up a good fight. I think Arum rejected Dibella and Berto, so if Cotto loses again in February or the Marg rematch, he'll have a good option to get another title pretty quickly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys make it sound like this jennings character is gonna have to be carried into the ring, who is he..anybody??
He's a fighter from UK with a padded record. He's got decent workrate, likes to fight, hasn't got the best defense, been down before. He hasn't fought anyone worth mentioning. Cotto should have him out of there early.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
:laugh::laugh::thumbsup: That's the new word for anyone who gets completely owned and actually think they had a chanced. He getting Gomez'd LOL
I like using "Gatti'd" even more, but "Gomez'd" fit's perfectly!
I'm not worried about the outcome of the fight but I'm gonna watch for any sign of Cotto being shot.
I'm in the same boat although I don't see any way Cotto can look shot against Jennings. With that said I do not think Cotto is going to fight Jennings. If this fight was a done deal it would be all over the well known boxing news sites.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I think its crazy we have come to the point where we would say Cotto fighting Jennings is risky. I dont see this fight as a comeback fight really. He got an ass whipping which was probably good for him. We cant forget what he did before the Marg fight. I think he will be just fine and will be back at the top in no time.

Cotto KO in 5

1 - 20 of 43 Posts