Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Miguel Cotto set to face Michael Jennings in February 2009.

7K views 42 replies 16 participants last post by  no dice nate 
G
#1 ·
Chorley boxer Jennings lands fight of a lifetime in New York (From This Is Lancashire)

"MICHAEL Jennings is set to fight Miguel Angel Cotto in a WBO welterweight elimination contest in New York next February.

The WBU champion will take on the 28-year-old Puerto Rican on St Valentine’s Day 2009 for the right to fight for the title.

Current WBO champion Paul Williams, who was another prospective opponent, is expected to vacate the title after opting to fight at light middleweight in his next outing against Verno Phillips for the interim WBO title."

I guess if there was ever a time to try and fight a guy way out of your league, now is as good of a time as any to fight Cotto if you're Jennings.

#27 ·
He better not vacate this damn belt....He's wanted Cotto forever what the hell would make him vacate the title? ****, if it got him a fight with Cotto he'd just vacate the damn 154 belt if he had too. But in all honesty I don't see how he needs to vacate anything, no one has the balls to fight him anyways so it's not like he's being forced into fights he wouldn't want to take...

#14 ·
Me neither. First thing I looked at was where the link was from, I don't know that source, so I won't buy into this.

Cotto will fight one of those 2 you mentioned because they're as tall or taller than Margarito, ok names, and they might put up a good fight. I think Arum rejected Dibella and Berto, so if Cotto loses again in February or the Marg rematch, he'll have a good option to get another title pretty quickly.

#11 ·
Yeah i know lol. He might have a little bit more of a fight than Gomez but Cotto's gonna probably want to shut it out quick because of his recent loss. Cotto's gonna come back with a vengeance. If i was Michael Jennings i would cover up my body heavily. I say Brutal K.O. and doesn't last past the 5th round.

G
#15 ·
He's a fighter from UK with a padded record. He's got decent workrate, likes to fight, hasn't got the best defense, been down before. He hasn't fought anyone worth mentioning. Cotto should have him out of there early.

#20 ·
I think its crazy we have come to the point where we would say Cotto fighting Jennings is risky. I dont see this fight as a comeback fight really. He got an ass whipping which was probably good for him. We cant forget what he did before the Marg fight. I think he will be just fine and will be back at the top in no time.

Cotto KO in 5

#30 ·
Great post man. I don't get the worry from all of these Cotto fans. I think he will be back to normal as if the Margarito fight never happened when fighting anyone not named Margarito.
I'll tell you why he'd vacate the title. When Cotto beats Jennings, you think he's going to go after the WBO belt or try and get a rematch with Marg.....? Bingo. Williams already said no to Jennings because he doesn't want to fight second rate fighters. When Cotto decides to duck Williams for the bigger payday in Margarito, Williams will be forced to fight some crumby mandatory like Jennings which he rightfully refuses to do. He can't waste away his career making meaningless defenses when nobody worthwhile is willing to fight him.

Here's the WBO Welterweight rankings:

Champ: Paul Williams
1. Miguel Cotto
2. Michael Jennings
3. Shane Mosley
4. Jan Zaveck
5. Jesus Soto Karaas
6. Jackson Osei Bansu
7. Antonin Decaire

Cotto will go for Marg and Mosley already is fighting Marg in January/February so he "won't be available" for PW's next fight. That leaves Williams with a Miriad of god awful WBO contenders. The whole system is flawed. If Cotto beats Jennings he should HAVE to fight PW.
:thumbsup:

G
#22 ·
I agree that Cintron would be a more interesting and bigger challenge for Cotto. However, there is some danger in that fight. Cintron is a hard hitter whose career is on the line. One lucky shot could ruin Cotto's shot at Margarito. While I don't see Cotto losing to Cintron, there is definately some risk involved. For that reason, I think Jennings is a better choice for Cotto.

#33 ·
A bit too much of a soft touch. Not exactly what he needs in order to prepare for the full-on assault that Margarito is sure to bring. I seriously doubt he'll face any adversity against this guy and the adversity of a measured risk are what will tell us if he's even ready for the rematch.

#35 ·
i saw jennings fight alan minters son on the khan vs st claire undercard and he looked quite fast in real life. he has decent footwork, decent speed and throws combinations. he doesn't have huge power so that will be a problem for him. i don't think he can seriously hurt cotto and cotto will be able to box/ko him. cotto will chase his ass down and break him down.

it may get cotto some good uk exposure and gain him some fans althoguh jennings aint really known either. seems frank and arum are doing business. or it's the wbo thing that frank loves lol

G
#38 ·
From fightnews.com:

"WBO welterweight champion Paul Williams is expected to officially give up the WBO 147lb belt today. He will face Verno Phillips for the WBO 154lb interim title on November 29th at the Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario, California. The vacant welterweight championship is expected to be filled by the winner of a proposed February clash between #1 rated Miguel Cotto and #2 rated Michael Jennings." :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

#39 ·
From fightnews.com:

"WBO welterweight champion Paul Williams is expected to officially give up the WBO 147lb belt today. He will face Verno Phillips for the WBO 154lb interim title on November 29th at the Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario, California. The vacant welterweight championship is expected to be filled by the winner of a proposed February clash between #1 rated Miguel Cotto and #2 rated Michael Jennings." :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Hopefully Williams can get back down to 147lbs if a meaningful fight comes along. And is Cotto ever going to win a belt by beating a champion, rather than fighting soft opponents for vacant belts? Fighters like Floyd/Calzaghe would be getting all sorts of shiit for that:laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.