Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From what I read Cotto should be back in the ring on 2/14 against possibly Berto or Clottey...

I think he should take a slightly easier fight, but I guess those 2 opponents would get him more $

thoughts?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Berto would be the perfect opponent for Cotto. I've been hearing Sebastian Lujan was the most likely candidate, but while he's a tough dude and all, he carries zero name recognition. Berto, on the other hand, is THE hot up and comer at 147 and will have a belt for Cotto to snatch barring a big setback on Saturday. I kinda doubt Lou DiBella will be all that enthusiastic about putting his prized guy in with what should be one hungry wolf in Cotto. He could see Cotto as damaged and there for the taking, though. Obviously it would be a huge opportunity for Berto, so it'd be tough to pass up despite the risks. I think DiBella is the type of promoter who deeply loves and cares about the sport and its well being, so I guess I can see him making this fight because it would be good for boxing. Bob Arum might not greenlight it though. He may want to put Cotto in with a softer touch to ensure that the rematch with Margarito comes off without a hitch.

G

·
I can't see Arum throwing him in with Clottey. I think Berto would be a good solid come-back fight for Cotto but I don't see that one materialising either. I don't want to see him in with a can because it will tell us nothing about how he's coping post-Margarito and that could be dangerous for the rematch.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
I'm not sure that I agree that either of these guys is a good come back for cotto, I think Berto might be too fast and slick for him and Clottey too strong and dangerous if he deceides to trow punches....

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I can't see Arum throwing him in with Clottey. I think Berto would be a good solid come-back fight for Cotto but I don't see that one materialising either. I don't want to see him in with a can because it will tell us nothing about how he's coping post-Margarito and that could be dangerous for the rematch.
Exactly. Not only does it not tell us or his handlers if he's ready for that fight, but it takes some steam out of the rematch. By the way, who is that in your second GIF image?

G

·
Exactly. Not only does it not tell us or his handlers if he's ready for that fight, but it takes some steam out of the rematch. By the way, who is that in your second GIF image?
Yeah the last thing Cotto needs is to be feed to Margarito less than 100%.

That's Bute brutalising Berrio. :thumbsup:

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
I think he should just cut his loses and forget about Margs, this is one of those cases where you got a guy who simply has your number, he did it to him once, he'll do it to him worse next time...

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Berto would be the perfect opponent for Cotto. I've been hearing Sebastian Lujan was the most likely candidate, but while he's a tough dude and all, he carries zero name recognition. Berto, on the other hand, is THE hot up and comer at 147 and will have a belt for Cotto to snatch barring a big setback on Saturday. I kinda doubt Lou DiBella will be all that enthusiastic about putting his prized guy in with what should be one hungry wolf in Cotto. He could see Cotto as damaged and there for the taking, though. Obviously it would be a huge opportunity for Berto, so it'd be tough to pass up despite the risks. I think DiBella is the type of promoter who deeply loves and cares about the sport and its well being, so I guess I can see him making this fight because it would be good for boxing. Bob Arum might not greenlight it though. He may want to put Cotto in with a softer touch to ensure that the rematch with Margarito comes off without a hitch.
I don't think he is. I might agree, but with Jermain Taylor he handpicked smaller opponents (Ouma & Spinks) in an attempt to make Taylor look good, which backfired badly:laugh: Like all promoter DiBella cares about money and thats it IMO.

Its hard to know how Cotto will react to his loss, there's alot of question marks. But i don't think Clottey or Berto are THAT dangerous fights for Cotto, though he may be best served fighting lesser opposition for his return fight.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
I'd back Cotto against both Berto and Clottey. Although both would be great fights IMO. This first fight back will tell us a lot about Cotto.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I'm one of the (probably delusional) people that think Cotto can pull this off and rise to the top again.
Cotto/Berto would be a great fight. FOTY material.
I agree with both of you guys. Cotto/Berto has great fight written all over it. It'll end in knockout. Cotto can still rise back up to the top.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
I'm one of the (probably delusional) people that think Cotto can pull this off and rise to the top again.
:laugh: you know what I'm talking about, I mean Cotto was winning that fight but that bulldozer kept coming, sure he can rise to the top of another alphabet title but not Margarito's...

Cotto/Berto would be a great fight. FOTY material.
Defenetly, I think Cotto would have to stop Berto to win otherwise he would get outpointed..

I'd back Cotto against both Berto and Clottey. Although both would be great fights IMO. This first fight back will tell us a lot about Cotto.
Most defenetly, I really want to see if there's any lingering damage..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts