Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who you got?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bob Arum of Top Rank already has a plan mapped out for a rematch between Miguel Cotto (32-1, 26KOs) and WBA welterweight champion Antonio Margarito (37-5, 27KOs). Margarito handed Cotto his first pro loss, stopping him within eleven-rounds in July to capture the WBA crown.

Arum is planning a doubleheader for the early part of 2009, with Margarito and Cotto fighting on the same night, but in different cities. He says Cotto will return to the ring in a headline bout in Puerto Rico, while Margarito will be headlining a card on the same night in Los Angeles. If both fighters win their bouts and walk away without any seriours injuries, a pay-per-view rematch is being eyed for June.

The two-city doubleheader is almost sure to land on HBO and would bring back memories of February 2, 2002, when HBO was trying to set up a rematch between Roy Jones Jr. and Bernard Hopkins - and showcased both fighters on the same night in a doubleheader that took place in two separate cities. Jones knocked out Glen Kelly in the headliner of a card based in Florida, while Hopkins knocked out Carl Daniels in the headline bout of a card in Pennsylvania.

"Miguel will be fighting at the beginning of 2009 in Puerto Rico. Margarito will fight on the same night. If both of their respective fights turn out well, we are going to discuss a rematch between the two of them for next summer," Arum told Primera Hora. "While Cotto will be fighting in Puerto Rico, Margarito would be doing his own thing in Los Angeles. Then, if they both walk away unharmed, the rematch for June is done."

The first fight took place in Las Vegas. The rematch may take place in three possible locations.

"It's possible to go in New York, Las Vegas or Atlantic City," Arum said.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Sounds good to me :) Cotto gets a change to come back strong and send a message to Margarito, setting up their rematch. Sounds like a ppv worth buying tbh.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I like this plan. It definitely beats them facing each other in their very next fight. I'll be very interested to see who the choices of opponents are. While I'm sure Arum doesn't want to put them in too soft as to not be prepared for such a war, I'm sure he won't want to wear them down too much either in advance of their fight. Besides, if they both fight tomato cans, it does take away a little bit of the luster leading up to the rematch. Obviously Arum doesn't want to jeopardize what is sure to be another huge event, so it's a fine line he will have to walk. I'll need to see how Cotto looks shaking off the loss before I make any prediction.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Margarito will repeat the treatment but quicker and more brutally

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I'd like to see them mix up a little more... MArgarito fighting someone like Shane Mosley and Cotto fighting someone else, but seems unlikely.

Their opponents will probably some walk overs to set their rematch.. But I'd like to see Margarito - Judah, and how about Cotto x Jackson Bonsu. but I guess I'm delusional

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
It depends on how Cotto looks in his comeback fight. I'm not talking about him winning or looking good I'm talking about his style. If Cotto the boxer shows up then you can bet on Margarito to win the rematch but if the agressive Cotto shows up then he has a good shot at avenging his loss.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good to me :) Cotto gets a change to come back strong and send a message to Margarito, setting up their rematch. Sounds like a ppv worth buying tbh.
Agreed

I like this plan. It definitely beats them facing each other in their very next fight. I'll be very interested to see who the choices of opponents are. While I'm sure Arum doesn't want to put them in too soft as to not be prepared for such a war, I'm sure he won't want to wear them down too much either in advance of their fight. Besides, if they both fight tomato cans, it does take away a little bit of the luster leading up to the rematch. Obviously Arum doesn't want to jeopardize what is sure to be another huge event, so it's a fine line he will have to walk. I'll need to see how Cotto looks shaking off the loss before I make any prediction.
Great post

Disagree but we'll just have to see. I see it playing out much like the first fight but Cotto fighting a little more and conserving a little more energy and winning a UD. who knows.

I'm going with Cotto again in the rematch.
Me too.

It depends on how Cotto looks in his comeback fight. I'm not talking about him winning or looking good I'm talking about his style. If Cotto the boxer shows up then you can bet on Margarito to win the rematch but if the agressive Cotto shows up then he has a good shot at avenging his loss.
I think if he can work on his stamina, he'll do fine. I'd like to see Cotto bang with him a bit more. All that moving got him tired I think.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
I said it before, it hasn't even been a week, this is the only fight that would prevent Margarito-Williams II. Margarito-Cotto II is a great fight, but I want to see Williams completely in or out the welterweight picture before 147 is impossible for him to make.

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
I think Cotto wins, in the last fight IMO he looked good, but seemed distracted, hopefully theres no more BS with his trainer and he focuses on just boxing and getting better, Cotto in top shape should whip margarito.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
I think Cotto wins, in the last fight IMO he looked good, but seemed distracted, hopefully theres no more BS with his trainer and he focuses on just boxing and getting better, Cotto in top shape should whip margarito.

LOL yeah he was distracted alright by the busted nose Tony gave him in round 2 So Evangalista claimed. Why not give Tony his just dues on the night he kicked Cotto's azz fair and square

·
Registered
661 Posts
The wisest career move for Cotto would be to stay far, far away from Margarito. He should pick up the rest of the alphabets and wait for Margarito to lose. AM completely broke Cotto first time round and another similar beating would take an irreparable mental and physical toll.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Damm your hard CJ, your saying Cotto might as well bring his estrecher with him just in case huh? :laugh:

I'd like to see them mix up a little more... MArgarito fighting someone like Shane Mosley and Cotto fighting someone else, but seems unlikely.

Their opponents will probably some walk overs to set their rematch.. But I'd like to see Margarito - Judah, and how about Cotto x Jackson Bonsu. but I guess I'm delusional
You read my mind dog, they're probably gonna be set up with a couple of cake walks, but that would be bad for Cotto, he needs to be real with himself and find out wether his still got it or not...

The wisest career move for Cotto would be to stay far, far away from Margarito. He should pick up the rest of the alphabets and wait for Margarito to lose. AM completely broke Cotto first time round and another similar beating would take an irreparable mental and physical toll.
Absolutely, he could probably wipe the division clean, why take a chance on a guy who's probably got your number, just ask Cintron and another killer beating like that would surely finih him off permanently...

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
LOL yeah he was distracted alright by the busted nose Tony gave him in round 2 So Evangalista claimed. Why not give Tony his just dues on the night he kicked Cotto's azz fair and square

Man dont get it twisted, Marg fought a great fight and he did beat (literally) Cotto, but all im saying is coming off the loss to him, he will be more hungry and I think he would watch the 1st fight and re-strategize, Let's not sleep on Cottos power,Marg is a bigger man so naturally he should be stronger but Cotto could throw hard too, I would like to see a 2nd and IMO Cotto would win, and he should just get rid of Evangelista if he hasnt already.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Man dont get it twisted, Marg fought a great fight and he did beat (literally) Cotto, but all im saying is coming off the loss to him, he will be more hungry and I think he would watch the 1st fight and re-strategize, Let's not sleep on Cottos power,Marg is a bigger man so naturally he should be stronger but Cotto could throw hard too, I would like to see a 2nd and IMO Cotto would win, and he should just get rid of Evangelista if he hasnt already.
He was supposed to beat Margarito the first time, but he did'nt and while he may be hungrier he'll probably be nervous also facing a man who almost broke his jaw is not going to be easy by any strech, I do agree that a new enviroment and trainer might be in his best interest, he just seemend too relaxed in Puerto Rico....training him self practically....

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
He was supposed to beat Margarito the first time, but he did'nt and while he may be hungrier he'll probably be nervous also facing a man who almost broke his jaw is not going to be easy by any strech, I do agree that a new enviroment and trainer might be in his best interest, he just seemend too relaxed in Puerto Rico....training him self practically....
yeah, maybe he should get a Roger MW or Freddy Roach, or Mcgirt, someone to show him how to make his technique more effective,...and he would be nervous but I imagine you're always nervous when getting in the ring, but with what Ive mentioned as to what he should do I think he would be just as nervous as any other fight, different mentality IMO.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Him losing because of his relationship with Evangelista is bs as far as an excuse. Margarito was too strong, hit too hard, chin too good, pressured too much, and threw too many punches the first time around.

Cotto's prep was top notch for the first fight, probably the best of his career. If he wants to win he has to change his in ring tactics, turn it into a boring fight from the begining: hold after every combo or if he gets too close or in a corner, turn him more instead of walking back, and limit himself to 40-60 punches per round and not let himself throw 70,80,90+ (like he did in the first fight).

That would be his perfect gameplan, seeing that he physically can't prepare himself any better than he did the first time around.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts