Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well not exactly. Assuming Miguel Cotto wins on Saturday night and Joshua Clottey defeats Zab Judah the following weekend; Bob Arum has the Puerto Rican star’s next opponent lined up.

Arum told El Nuevo Dia, “If Cotto and Clottey win, it will be easy for me to stage that fight (Cotto vs. Clottey) in Puerto Rico, since both fighters are with my company and I know that Cotto wants to fight again in his country and I know Clottey has no fear or objection to fighting him in Puerto Rico.”

According to Arum, HBO has a tentative date reserved for Cotto’s next fight and Clottey seems to be the next suitable opponent. “We have a reserved date with HBO.” Arum said. “But first Cotto has a great fight ahead of him with Margarito, so we will have to see.”
Ok based on the assumption of a win for both guys.. it looks like it's a Cotto/Clottey match then. If Clottey loses, it sets up a December match with DLH (I'm guessing) but if he wins it's Cotto/Clottey. This could be an entertaining bout, both talented boxers. But DLH/Cotto would do more for Cotto's career then a fight with Clottey would.

G

·
I wouldn't mind a Cotto-Judah II if Judah wins and looks good. I think Clottey will win though and that'd be a great fight too. I want to see Cotto unifying.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
That, assuming Oscar De La Hoya elects to fight someone else instead. I dont know where I read that but arum said Clottey would be the logical choice in case a bout with Oscar isnt possible.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
That's true, Marg has a chance to spoil his plans. But I doubt that will happen.
He did look good to me in the coundown special, his weight shows that he wants this just as much and his relationship with his trainer is a lot better than cotto's and his uncle I sure hope that doesn't back fire in the cotto camp...tonight

G

·
He did look good to me in the coundown special, his weight shows that he wants this just as much and his relationship with his trainer is a lot better than cotto's and his uncle I sure hope that doesn't back fire in the cotto camp...tonight
Yeah, Cotto's training situation is a bit strange to say the least. He's ice cool though and I don't think anything really phases him. Can't wait for this one.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Ok based on the assumption of a win for both guys.. it looks like it's a Cotto/Clottey match then. If Clottey loses, it sets up a December match with DLH (I'm guessing) but if he wins it's Cotto/Clottey. This could be an entertaining bout, both talented boxers. But DLH/Cotto would do more for Cotto's career then a fight with Clottey would.
You have your facts wrong, if Cotto wins its a definite fight with De La Hoya, Clottey-Judah will have no effect on that unless they cant come to terms. No way they dont make that fight with the popularity and money that it would generate to fight Clottey for a meaningless belt. Arum meant it as a plan b and probably to motivate Clottey and because this fight is easy to make since they're both signed to Top Rank.
It would be a good fight and Cotto will probably win the IBF title. Then I think he will fight Williams next. He'll be the undisputed champ in no time.
Margarito had to vacate that title to face Cotto just after winning it so it doesnt have much value anyway, Margarito is still the owner of that strap. Fukk the sanctioning bodies

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Margarito had to vacate that title to face Cotto just after winning it so it doesnt have much value anyway, Margarito is still the owner of that strap. Fukk the sanctioning bodies
Well that would the 1st step towards unifiying the division. Actually the IBF did nothing wrong Clottey was Cintron's mandatory but Arum wanted to make that Cotto/Margarito doubleheader so Clottey had to wait. Now Arum will make his money and Clottey will have his shot. Fair enough.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
I think Cotto is the one welterweight that has to much game for Clottey to keep up with. Clottey is good and under-rated for sure, but he is no Miguel Cotto.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Well that would the 1st step towards unifiying the division. Actually the IBF did nothing wrong Clottey was Cintron's mandatory but Arum wanted to make that Cotto/Margarito doubleheader so Clottey had to wait. Now Arum will make his money and Clottey will have his shot. Fair enough.
Yeah thats true.. Clottey deserved his shot so he is entitled to dispute a title.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
I know, but I take every opportunity to say fukk the sanctioning bodies

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
I got Judah beating Clottey. So this fight ain't happening.
clottey under bob arum? i think it will happen. cotto doesn't need to fight zab again and i feel he will need a kinda tune up fight. abit like gomez. although clottey is far better.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
clottey under bob arum? i think it will happen. cotto doesn't need to fight zab again and i feel he will need a kinda tune up fight. abit like gomez. although clottey is far better.
If Clottey loses to Judah he wont get the Cotto fight. That I promise you. And I got him losing

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
If Clottey loses to Judah he wont get the Cotto fight. That I promise you. And I got him losing
this is my 1000th post. feel fortunate it was to you. let this stay in your living memory and maybe when you are in hell or heaven. (no comment where you will be :p)

zab has got skills but i think he will lose. if it was a 4 round fight then i think he will win. but is it's 12 then clottey could win a ud. clottey will jab zab to bits

1 - 20 of 29 Posts