• Pacquaio

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Cotto

Votes: 16 66.7%
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
This would be a great bloody fight with Cotto coming out on top by late round knockout. It would be an instant classic and FOTY candidate too.

·
Registered
424 Posts
god this is the fight i want to see, probably more then any fight.

Its too close for me to really call, they both have the ability to hurt each other at any time, which makes it exciting. though id give the power edge to Cotto at 147, though i feel Manny's chin would be slightly better, so it evens out.

Its hard to say, Pacman is faster but also easier to hit than Cotto. I think Cotto's Defense is greatly underrated. In the Margy fight he did a GREAT job of slipping and blocking all of margies punches for the first 6 rounds, though with a smaller fighter like manny, i dont see Cotto gassing out nearly as fast. It cotto could fight all 12 round like he did the first 6 of the margy fight, id say he wins. But then again, pacman is smaller, but much faster too, and would keep up a fast pace that might wear cotto down. plus the speed of Pacman may cause Cotto's defense to look less impressive (margy isnt necessarily an accurate and fast puncher)

Id say at 147, cotto is to strong, but at 140 we have a match made in heaven.

though i have to give this one more thought. its hard cause manny's last 2 performances have been so great while Cotto's wasn't so great.

-ian

·
Keeping it real
3,621 Posts
Ive ran this fight through my head quite a few times in the past and i think pacquiao's workrate and speed advantage would get him the win.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow I can't believe how soo many people are acting, De La Hoya was stationery and extremely weight drained, Miguel Cotto is the most vicious puncher in the sport and the moment, Pacquiao would NOT be able to hurt him at all and he would run straight threw him, Mosley hits much harder than pacman hell even Judah hits harder than pacquaio and i'm not a hater but this fight was made in heaven for Pacquaio, ODLH was stationery, no head movement, no running him down via relentless punching like margarito, not even any use of reach advantage, Cotto would destroy pacquaio so bad he would shoot up the p4p rankings in my opinion, exact same fight as quintana and similar ending

G

·
I need to see Cotto fight again before I can say what will happen. Assuming that Cotto brutally stops Jennings, I like Cotto to win, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Pacquaio's speed made this fight a toss up going to the cards.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Pac doesn't belong at 147 so fighting any of the top 5 welters would be stupid. Floyd is an exception because he's a small welterweight (and I don't even think Pac will fight him).
Anyway I think Pac would be competitive against Cotto and I give him a 40% chance of winning if it goes the distance. Pac would be faster and his workrate would give Cotto all kinds of trouble but Cotto's power might be too much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Definitely the match-up I'd love to see. And, I think if Cotto can be impressive in his comeback fight, there could be some solid momentum if fans start clamoring for it. I think Arum would make this fight for sure, especially if he was willing to match Cotto with Margarito. Cotto was easily outboxing Margarito, but that guy is made out of straight iron. Cotto isn't but an inch or two at most taller than Manny, and Manny has shown that he can easily put on the bulk. Manny looked strong and natural at 147. I don't think he would be overmatched. Also, I'd love to see him fight someone else who is in their prime. He's made his name beating up on old fighters. Let's see him in there with a prime young Boricua before you start calling him an ATG. I say Cotto wins this fight by late stoppage, but definitely gets rocked a few times by the tough Filipino. Manny's got a lot of heart, and he'd go down swinging for sure.

·
Registered
81 Posts
miguel cotto is just to good at 147 and manny is not a true 147 he looked good against a weight drained de la hoya who couldnt throw punches but trust me cotto can throw short crisp punches in combos pacmans speed gives cotto trouble for first five rounds but cotto bullys his way in with great body shots and could stop pacman i perfer cotto to fight tony again and pacman and hatton to hook up as these are fairer fights for each guy and are toss ups

·
Registered
368 Posts
Right know I dont think pacman belongs in the ring with any of the top 5 welterweights, however, depending on the outcome of the pac-hatton fight, if it ever happens, my opinion can change.

Its not possible to determine if pacman can be competitive at 147 just based on the DLH fight.

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
Cotto would brutalise Manny. Pacquiao beat a shot and weight drained De La Hoya... he doesn't stand a chance against Cotto.

·
Keeping it real
3,621 Posts
I need to see Cotto fight again before I can say what will happen. Assuming that Cotto brutally stops Jennings, I like Cotto to win, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Pacquaio's speed made this fight a toss up going to the cards.
exactly.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
LOL Cotto is slow, slow, slow. Pac is way faster than him. Power-wise, Pac matches Cotto, as Pac has been KOing HOFers from 126 to 147. Cotto’s power is questionable, hitting Marg and shot Mosley a thousand times without hurting them. Skill-wise, it’s not even close, Pac has been fighting MAB-JMM-Morales a million times while Cotto had hard times with turds like Pinto. IMO I would be surprised if Cotto lasted 6 rounds. Seriously.

I observe that those who had DLH over Pac are the same people having Cotto over Pac. I guess some haters, I mean people never learn, EVEN IF THE WRITING IS ON THE WALL THAT PAC IS THE REAL THING. Notice that the threadstarter intended to malign Pac. Real classy. :facepalm:

·
Registered
123 Posts
LOL Cotto is slow, slow, slow. Pac is way faster than him. Power-wise, Pac matches Cotto, as Pac has been KOing HOFers from 126 to 147. Cotto’s power is questionable, hitting Marg and shot Mosley a thousand times without hurting them. Skill-wise, it’s not even close, Pac has been fighting MAB-JMM-Morales a million times while Cotto had hard times with turds like Pinto. IMO I would be surprised if Cotto lasted 6 rounds. Seriously.

I observe that those who had DLH over Pac are the same people having Cotto over Pac. I guess some haters, I mean people never learn, EVEN IF THE WRITING IS ON THE WALL THAT PAC IS THE REAL THING. Notice that the threadstarter intended to malign Pac. Real classy. :facepalm:
Didn't you try to malign MAYWEATHER when u ranked him like 10,000th on an all time most exciting boxers list? That's classy. Ya Pac has been KOing HOF fighters from 126-130 and ONE fighter at 147 but how do u know that him and Cotto have equal power? There is a difference between KOing fighters at bantamweight and featherweight and KOing fighters at Welterweight, not just ONE fighter at welterweight(DLH)who needs to clearly retire. Cotto had hard times with turds like Pinto? Well he knocked him out in 6 rounds so i dont think he had too much trouble. You could say the same about Pac having a hard time with Hussein after he was BADLY hurt by a jab and that was a jab at bantamweight.

I think this would be a great fight personally, but Pac is not invincible. What will be your excuse the day Pac loses a fight?

G

·
:facepalm:

I'm a fan of Pacquiao and I'm not trying to downplay his achievements because he's a great fighter but he just beat a shot DLH, try and keep in touch with reality. DLH did absolutely nothing in that fight, he was weight drained and shot. Pacquaio has no business whatsover being in the ring with the top welterweights, Mayweather is an exception because he's small. Cotto's not a big WW either but he's very powerful and would give Pacquiao a beating. JMM had Pacquiao wobbled just this year at 130, when Cotto connects flush to Manny's chin it's lights out. Cotto's power isn't in question, your two examples are of people with world class chins. The people who picked DLH over Pacquiao assumed DLH would be fine at the weight and could still pull the trigger, he couldn't.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts