Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steve Kim from Maxboxing.com is reporting that Bob Arum is thinking about the doubleheader of Christian Mijares facing Fernando Montiel and Jorge Arce against Nonito Donaire in the fall.

This is an excellent, A level, all action doubleheader, but it's embarassing for the flyweight division that a champion has to vacate his title and weightclass because the other beltholders are too p**** to want to unify. Donaire has been calling out Sakata and Naito for some time now and can't get them even close to a negotiation. Their excuse "Japan doesnt recognize the IBF".

What do you think about this doubleheader and these Japanese titleholders blatant ducking?

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Steve Kim from Maxboxing.com is reporting that Bob Arum is thinking about the doubleheader of Christian Mijares facing Fernando Montiel and Jorge Arce against Nonito Donaire in the fall.

This is an excellent, A level, all action doubleheader, but it's embarassing for the flyweight division that a champion has to vacate his title and weightclass because the other beltholders are too p**** to want to unify. Donaire has been calling out Sakata and Naito for some time now and can't get them even close to a negotiation. Their excuse "Japan doesnt recognize the IBF".

What do you think about this doubleheader and these Japanese titleholders blatant ducking?
Great matchups. As much as I like Arce Donaire will knock him silly. Mijares/Montiel will be very close but I'll go with my boy Mijares. Montiel has the tools to beat him though. I think we're gonna see Mijares/Donaire next and I'll put all my points on Donaire.
I like Sakata and Naito (especially after he schooled one of the Kameda brothers) and I don't think they're ducking BUT they would both get murdered by the Filipino flash.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Mijares and Donaire for me

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great matchups. As much as I like Arce Donaire will knock him silly. Mijares/Montiel will be very close but I'll go with my boy Mijares. Montiel has the tools to beat him though. I think we're gonna see Mijares/Donaire next and I'll put all my points on Donaire.
I like Sakata and Naito (especially after he schooled one of the Kameda brothers) and I don't think they're ducking BUT they would both get murdered by the Filipino flash.
Good post, Donaire was/is a big flyweight so he will fit right into super, I like Arce but he is past his prime and weight and this will be his last stand, he will get destroyed. Mijares-Montiel is a 50-50 fight seeing how CM is easily running through the division, unified in his last fight and Montiel has destroyed his last 2 opponents who were no bums. How can you be that confident in Donaire beating Mijares? I like Donaire's chances and his counter left hook against southpaws is nice, Mijares is no Darchinyan and if he can get through Montiel I wouldnt pick against him.

They are both being called out, every other week by ND and won't except the challenge, so I can't see how they are not ducking bause he can't and won't get fights against them in the near future is the reason he is moving up in weight. They know wht you said in your last line would happen.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
How can you be that confident in Donaire beating Mijares? I like Donaire's chances and his counter left hook against southpaws is nice, Mijares is no Darchinyan and if he can get through Montiel I wouldnt pick against him.
Just a gut feeling my friend. Mijares has been dropped before so he's not untouchable and if someone can beat him it's Donaire. I really wanna see that fight.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I love these fights. Praise be to the boxing gods for making them happen.

I'll go with Mijares over Montiel. Don't write off Arce just yet. I know he's looked a bit faded in the last two or three and at the same time, Donaire is on quite a roll, but I think this could be much better than the blowout many expect.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Mijares in a close fight. Donaire in a blowout. Arce is and always will be crap. Watching Mijares make him look like an amateur was fantastic. I'll take Mijares over Donaire when they fight.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Montiel to beat Mijares and whoever the winner of Donaire-Arce is. Montiel is the best fighter at those weights

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Mijares in a close fight. Donaire in a blowout. Arce is and always will be crap. Watching Mijares make him look like an amateur was fantastic. I'll take Mijares over Donaire when they fight.
Damn dude, Arce is crap? C'mon now, I love "El Travieso" the guy is a warrior and always makes for exciting fights. You don't have any appreciation whatsoever for anyone that isn't a defense first, distance oriented, jab reliant boxer, do you? I appreciate the hell out of Pernell Whitaker and Willie Pep, but if everyone fought like them, I'd never watch boxing again. I love me some boxer-punchers and how can you not get some sort of primal thrill out of the brawlers that are all about slugging it out? To each his own, you like what you like, but it's kind of a bummer that you think anyone who doesn't control the pace of a fight with strategy is trash. Sometimes the best strategy is to just go out there and beat the hell out of the other guy. Take two punches to deliver one better.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Damn dude, Arce is crap? C'mon now, I love "El Travieso" the guy is a warrior and always makes for exciting fights. You don't have any appreciation whatsoever for anyone that isn't a defense first, distance oriented, jab reliant boxer, do you? I appreciate the hell out of Pernell Whitaker and Willie Pep, but if everyone fought like them, I'd never watch boxing again. I love me some boxer-punchers and how can you not get some sort of primal thrill out of the brawlers that are all about slugging it out? To each his own, you like what you like, but it's kind of a bummer that you think anyone who doesn't control the pace of a fight with strategy is trash. Sometimes the best strategy is to just go out there and beat the hell out of the other guy. Take two punches to deliver one better.
Vasquez-Marquez, Gatti-Ward, and Castillo-Corrales are some of my all time favorite match ups. I don't like guys who neglect the defensive side of boxing. It just drives me crazy. Does it make great fights? Hell yes! I like bangers just as much as the next guy, but a guy like Arce will always get clowned by a guy like Mijares. Katsidis is in the same boat. I can't stand that guy. He makes great fights, but I still don't like him. Pavlik isn't a defensive juggernaut, but he's one of my top 5 favorites. I liked Hatton when he boxed more, and I can't stand watching him now. To me watching a great defensive boxer make a guy miss 5 in a row is just as exciting as watching two bangers. I just really admire both sides of boxing; offense and defense. Defense gets no glory, and that is understandable. I'm just a little different than most boxing fans. Hopkins-Wright was one of my favorite fights from 2007, and most hated it. To me tactical battles are just as exciting as slugfests. Also, I don't say that all guys like Arce are trash.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Vasquez-Marquez, Gatti-Ward, and Castillo-Corrales are some of my all time favorite match ups. I don't like guys who neglect the defensive side of boxing. It just drives me crazy. Does it make great fights? Hell yes! I like bangers just as much as the next guy, but a guy like Arce will always get clowned by a guy like Mijares. Katsidis is in the same boat. I can't stand that guy. He makes great fights, but I still don't like him. Pavlik isn't a defensive juggernaut, but he's one of my top 5 favorites. I liked Hatton when he boxed more, and I can't stand watching him now. To me watching a great defensive boxer make a guy miss 5 in a row is just as exciting as watching two bangers. I just really admire both sides of boxing; offense and defense. Defense gets no glory, and that is understandable. I'm just a little different than most boxing fans. Hopkins-Wright was one of my favorite fights from 2007, and most hated it. To me tactical battles are just as exciting as slugfests. Also, I don't say that all guys like Arce are trash.
Fair enough bro. I feel you. Don't get me wrong, as much as I like straight ahead, always pressing forward and throwing bombs-type of fighters, I definitely dig a number of guys that master the science part of the sweet science. I just hate to think that some guys get discarded for being of a different ilk. Boxing needs all those different types of fighters. Hopkins/Wright, though...man, what a snoozefest. Haha. I appreciated the fact that it was two counterpunching masters, so I didn't have that high of expectations, but I thought Hopkins fought a dirty fight and felt Winky deserved the nod. That headbutt by B-Hop opened up that nasty gash on Wright's prominent eyebrows and it changed everything. It didn't help matters that all he wanted to do was clinch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good post, Donaire was/is a big flyweight so he will fit right into super, I like Arce but he is past his prime and weight and this will be his last stand, he will get destroyed. Mijares-Montiel is a 50-50 fight seeing how CM is easily running through the division, unified in his last fight and Montiel has destroyed his last 2 opponents who were no bums. How can you be that confident in Donaire beating Mijares? I like Donaire's chances and his counter left hook against southpaws is nice, Mijares is no Darchinyan and if he can get through Montiel I wouldnt pick against him.

They are both being called out, every other week by ND and won't except the challenge, so I can't see how they are not ducking bause he can't and won't get fights against them in the near future is the reason he is moving up in weight. They know wht you said in your last line would happen.
Looks like we're gonna see Mijares-Donaire early next year.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I give Arce a chance. But it don't matter who wins. Montiel is beating them all.
I really like Fernando. Especially since we met him. He's such a nice guy. But Christian is such a good fighter. I'm not sure who will win. I think Donaire will beat Jorge. But I think it will be close.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts