Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unified junior bantamweight titleholder Cristian Mijares (35-3-2, 14 KOs), who unified two belts by outpointing Alexander Munoz May 17, returns Aug. 30 in Monterrey, Mexico, to face Chatchai Sasakul (64-3, 39 KOs), an ex-flyweight titlist who lost his belt to Manny Pacquiao via knockout in 1998. Should Mijares win, co-promoter DiBella told ESPN.com that he's talking with Showtime about matching Mijares in a unification match with the winner of the Aug. 2 Showtime fight between titleholder Dimitri Kirilov and Vic Darchinyan. DiBella said he's also talked to Kirilov promoter Cedric Kushner and Darchinyan promoter Shaw about the fight and everyone is interested in the scenario. If the fight is made, it could happen Nov. 1 on Showtime, DiBella said. He's also been talking with promoter Bob Arum about matching Mijares with Fernando Montiel in a unification bout, but he and Arum agree that it's too big of a fight not to be a main event on a major show and there are no dates left this year on Showtime or HBO. "Mijares wants to unify the division, so we can do the Kirilov-Darchinyan winner and then go for Montiel in the next fight when there are more dates available," DiBella said. Source: Dan Rafael, ESPN.com

This is what I like about the lower weight divisions(especially super flyweight), Mijares doesnt have to fight these guys, but he wants to, and he does. The Kirilov-Darchinyan winner could take their title and go hide on the other side of the world defending their paper title against mandatories, but they don't because they want to fight the best. Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I'm a little disapppointed because I wanna see Mijares/Montiel so bad and if Darchinyan wins he doesn't deserve a shot at Mijares. Donaire should move up and get in the mix.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I'd pick Mijares over Montiel.

I heard Montiel is having problems with his weight, hope he doesnt move up cuz I really wanna see him against Mijares.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts