Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

???

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
One of the reasons I'd say hes an all time great was his huge popularity and impact in the media throughout the world.. I mean, some people still think hes the Hw champion of the world, no kidding.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think he's an all-time great, but primarily based on what he did in the 80s (when he was focused and unbeatable), after that it was a long downhill spiral which added nothing to his legacy.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Mike Tyson was both and is still today one of the biggest names in sports. I remember some guy from ESPN saying "you are in a room with Shaq and all of those guys and Mike Tyson walks in and everyone gathers around him". He is the biggest "name" in ALL OF SPORTS HISTORY along with two men. Mike Tyson stands above two of those guys(ali and Jordan) because of all the contreversy surrounding him i thats good or bad i leave somone else to judge but we will never have another Mike Tyson.

·
Baddest Man On The Planet
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think he's an all-time great, but primarily based on what he did in the 80s (when he was focused and unbeatable), after that it was a long downhill spiral which added nothing to his legacy.
well, after prison he became champion again, and that adds up to your legacy as well, he was almost close of getting the IBF but was stripped off the WBC and lost the WBA to holyfield.

G

·
Top class fighter in his day. He has ZERO class as a person, he disgraced boxing. Convicted rapist, bit an opponents ear off, need I say more?

·
Registered
119 Posts
well, after prison he became champion again, and that adds up to your legacy as well, he was almost close of getting the IBF but was stripped off the WBC and lost the WBA to holyfield.
Yeah but he beat Frank Bruno, who was quite possibly the most limited heavyweight champ of all time, won the WBA against Bruce Seldon (not exactly a stellar name or boxer) and then lost to Holyfield. He may have won the belts but they didn't mean anything, not compared to what he did in the 80s. Belts don't really mean all that much anyway, it's what you do in the ring and he never scaled the same heights again.

·
Registered
175 Posts
all time great and master at self marketing.

def had some screws loose but can't deny what he's done.
Heavyweight Chanpion at 20 years old. that record will stand for a very long time

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Guys like Marciano and Paterson are considered all time greats, Tyson would murder both while primed.

Yes, he was an ATG easily.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Top class fighter in his day. He has ZERO class as a person, he disgraced boxing. Convicted rapist, bit an opponents ear off, need I say more?
Yea because I don't know what you are sayin in relation to this specific thread based question.

Does anything you have said in any way lesson what Tyson did in the ring?

I say no.

Take a look at what OJ Simpson did in US football. Now does what he did afterwards mean that he was not an ATG?

Nope!!!

If Roger Federer goes out tomorrow and knifes someone will that mean he is not an ATG in tennis?

Nope!!!

What about Phil Spector as a record producer?

ditto...

It isn't about likeing people, it isn't about people being nice or worthwhile as human beings, least it isn't the way I see it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts