Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mike Tyson - "I Just Want A Different Life Now"
06.05.08 - by James Slater: It seems the chances of former heavyweight king Mike Tyson returning to the ring are smaller than ever right now. And while most fans will no doubt see this as a good thing, there are also many people who would welcome the excitement a Tyson comeback would create. Well, in a recent interview with ESPN, on their E:60 show, "Iron Mike" made it quite clear he is a much different person from the destructive (inside and outside the ring) heavyweight he once was..

"I don't want to get involved with my old lifestyle, " Tyson told ESPN. "I just want a different life now. I saw what that life got me, so I'm trying to build a new life that's functional now. I wake up. Make my bed. Watch television. Then, I call my accountant to hear him say, "no," he's not going to give me any money. Controlling my spending habits is part of the change I guess," Tyson added.

The former heavyweight ruler also admitted how hard it is living his new lifestyle. After having spent time in rehab, the 41 year old confessed he still has the urge to drink and take drugs.

"It's a struggle, " Tyson confessed to ESPN. "I want to take drugs every day. I want to drink every day. But I don't because I made the commitment not to. I don't hang out with the type of people that I normally acquainted myself with in the past because I'm not that type of person anymore."

This really is a very open and honest interview Tyson has given. Now seemingly freely admitting he was a "bad guy," Mike sincerely wants to turn his life around. As such, we can only wish him well. In the interview, Tyson also spoke about his prime years, when he was the single best fighter on the planet.

"Maybe I was addicted to chaos," Mike suggested. "And that was the only way I knew how to function at that time. When I look back at the tings I've done in my life, I realise that I brought them upon myself and now I have to deal with the responsibility - and I don't like that," the 41 year old revealed.

Mike also informed his audience how he was unable even to enjoy his finest victory, the 1st round KO of Michael Spinks in 1988 - commonly thought to have been Tyson's peak performance.

"I couldn't really enjoy that victory because I had so much chaos going on in my life at that time," Mike said. "I had my wife fighting with my managers and I had three girlfriends in the audience. It was just a mess," Tyson lamented.

It was indeed, and it is to be hoped Mike Tyson, now in his early forties, has at last found peace.

·
Registered
78 Posts
He actually sounds sane. Good for him, I wish him the best. I hope he doesn't pursue another boxing career, it'd be tight to see him in the boxing world though. Don't know what he could do... has he ever trained anyone?

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
It seems to me that this is what he said back in 06, about a month before he was caught with the coke and stuff.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea it does i saw this interview on E360 it was pretty good give it time he will be back in jail
and the news ;)

·
Registered
830 Posts
It seems to me that this is what he said back in 06, about a month before he was caught with the coke and stuff.
You have just summed up/encapsulated everything that is Mike Tyson in that single observation. :thumbsup::thumbsup: top post.

The guy has always been a contradiction and never in control of his actions in or outside of the ring, at least not since Rooney, Atlas and Cus were around to steer him in the right direction and even then, looking back it all seemed a matter of time till the fan and proverbial met.

I doubt Mike even knows what is going to happen next in terms of the crazy stuff he will be into. He could be in films, in a boxing side show or in prison for murder, anything is possible.

Seems you can take the boy out of the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto out of the boy, at least in his case.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Cus didn't even keep him completely out of trouble, he just smoothed over and covered up Mike's big mistakes. That's why he canned Atlas. Tyson was trying to do some things to his neice that he shouldn't have, so Atlas beat him up and held a gun to his head and threatened to shoot him if he ever did it again.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Cus didn't even keep him completely out of trouble, he just smoothed over and covered up Mike's big mistakes. That's why he canned Atlas. Tyson was trying to do some things to his neice that he shouldn't have, so Atlas beat him up and held a gun to his head and threatened to shoot him if he ever did it again.
Yea I know mate. Straight and narrow in terms of not in prison and a lot straighter than he has ever been since, but you are right it was always papering over the cracks. :thumbsup:

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Excatly, not to keep stomping the man down, but in reality most addicts refflect commonn sense in moments of lucidness, but there's a pressure inside them intensifying every day from the monster thats dying to come out to reck havock, Tyson is a very dissfunctional human being and needs constant suppervision as if he were addmitted to a sychiatric facility ,the only way to keep his demonds in check is putting 4 walls around them, other wise it is only a matter of time before the old self destructive Mike Tyson returns....

yea it does i saw this interview on E360 it was pretty good give it time he will be back in jail
and the news ;)
Like I mentioned before it is vey likely and unfortunate that Mike will end up dead alone somewhere, unless he's in a controlled inviroment 24/7 his chances of surviving this terrible affliction are minimal...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts