Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody really believe that if Cus didnt die so early or Tyson never left Rooney, Tyson would be "the greatest champion theres ever been"-Rooney. I really dont know what to say about Tyson because he is really hard to explain, My theory is, In his early years Tyson was still the crazy guy that bit Holyfields ear and lewis foot BUT he was controlled, He was 'looked after', He had somebody that he could turn to and somebody to go with him when he's training and 'be there for him'. Basically in his early years Tyson was a good booxer that was in good shape mentally and physically and a competitor for the greatest heavyweight champion ever BUT he ruined his career because he fired Rooney. believe that if Tyson were to retire rite after that Spinks fight he would have been considered the greatest heavyweight of all time because he was 35-0-0 and 31KO with 19KO in the first round!!! He also had hand speed that was comparable to even Ali's and ducking abilities comparable to even Frazier and punching power that was comparable to even MARCIANO!!! "he [was] the perfect boxing machine" as Teddy Atlas always said

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Real life isnt a fairy tale, Mike Tyson got abused and stuff when he was a child and sooner or later wether Cus was alive or not his past would have cought upto him. Tyson was never the way most grown up people are. Thats fine but he was always that weird crazy depressed guy it didnt always show but under it all thats the real Mike Tyson. So i blame his childhood but if he hadnt gotten that childhood he would have never been as good as he was.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
People always say how bad Tyson's child hood was. It wouldn't have been so bad if he didn't ruin it. Yeah, he was dirt poor, but its not like he had over 10 brothers and sisters with being dirt poor, he had a brother and sister, thats it. Holmes grew up even poorer than Tyson and had 11-13 brothers and sisters, and only 1 person bringing in the dough, and that was his mother. His father moved away as soon as they got to Easton, and they were living on welfare and his mothers tiny income. He was almost killed twice (once from a cop shoving a shot gun into him and threatening to shoot, and the other some crazy dude with a shot gun at some gas station). Tyson wasn't abused, he abused others. Yeah, he had his issues, but he deserved every single one. He used to beat up lady's in their 60's-80's in elevators, he used to rob stores, and shoot over peoples heads. He was arrested over 40 times by the time he was 12. He escaped juvey once, and he thought it would be funny to cut a 7 inch gash in his brothers arm while he was sleeping. IMO Tyson has no excuses. People always say Don King ruined him, and he did, but who's fault is that? King tried to do it to Holmes, but Larry wouldn't let him. Tyson fired Rooney and Cayton (the last people who cared about him) and he knew it too. Frazier and Foreman had it worse than Tyson, both have their heads on straight (Frazier is punch drunk though). IMO if Tyson stayed with Rooney and Cayton, he would have been a top 10 heavyweight, but not a top 5.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
IMO in his prime, head to head Tyson is a top 10 guy, but not a top 5. IMO a prime Ali, Holmes, Marciano, Foreman, and Lewis could take him. Possibly even Shavers depending if he got a clean shot in with his right, otherwise, he gets destroyed. When Holmes fought Tyson, the begining of the 4th round he was fighting like he did in his prime, just slower and not as much snap or pop to his punches. And in the little time, he was beating Tyson, then age caught up to Larry and he went flat footed and got dropped 30 seconds later. Ali would have danced around Tyson, Lewis would have done the same thing, just not as convincing. Foreman would overwhelm Tyson or vice versa, it would be 5/5 for Tyson and Foreman. Marciano would make Tyson back down, and wouldn't be the slightest intimdated (Tyson most powerful weopan). So, he would have the upperhand there, and all he would need to do is land that Suzie Q, and Tyson would go down, and get all discouraged, then Marciano would just batter him until Tyson is KO's or the ref stops it. Shavers, his only chance is to land a clean right hand, then it would discourage Tyson. I don't think Tyson would be able to keep going after the right hand that nailed Larry in the 7th. So Tyson hovers around 7-6 for me in head to head in his prime.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
It might be wrong but i remember reading somewhere that Tyson got raped when hes was younger, if thats true anyone would be damaged by it, ive read maby 2 or 3 books about Tyson and it seemed pretty horrible i remember reading that they had to sleep under theire bed cause there were constantly bullets coming threw from theire neighbours and stuff

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
THERE WILL NEVER BE A MORE DOMINATIN HW CHAMP THAN MIKE EVER!!!

you can take that to the bank now. :cheeky4:

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
the 19 year old tyson that everyoen fell in love with would of destroyed any heavyweight to ever step in the ring. He didnt care if they stood up to him or not then, all he knew was to try to kill them but bill , lol we've done this before lol, its worthless, you know my feelings about tyson. Hell i named my kid after him, you cant crack my shield and love for the guy.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
IMO in his prime, head to head Tyson is a top 10 guy, but not a top 5. IMO a prime Ali, Holmes, Marciano, Foreman, and Lewis could take him. Possibly even Shavers depending if he got a clean shot in with his right, otherwise, he gets destroyed. When Holmes fought Tyson, the begining of the 4th round he was fighting like he did in his prime, just slower and not as much snap or pop to his punches. And in the little time, he was beating Tyson, then age caught up to Larry and he went flat footed and got dropped 30 seconds later. Ali would have danced around Tyson, Lewis would have done the same thing, just not as convincing. Foreman would overwhelm Tyson or vice versa, it would be 5/5 for Tyson and Foreman. Marciano would make Tyson back down, and wouldn't be the slightest intimdated (Tyson most powerful weopan). So, he would have the upperhand there, and all he would need to do is land that Suzie Q, and Tyson would go down, and get all discouraged, then Marciano would just batter him until Tyson is KO's or the ref stops it. Shavers, his only chance is to land a clean right hand, then it would discourage Tyson. I don't think Tyson would be able to keep going after the right hand that nailed Larry in the 7th. So Tyson hovers around 7-6 for me in head to head in his prime.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Brutus said:
It might be wrong but i remember reading somewhere that Tyson got raped when hes was younger, if thats true anyone would be damaged by it, ive read maby 2 or 3 books about Tyson and it seemed pretty horrible i remember reading that they had to sleep under theire bed cause there were constantly bullets coming threw from theire neighbours and stuff

He wasn't raped. Someone tried to kill him and his friend when they were like 10 because they stole from him. The guy tied them up and through them off of the roof and left them for dead, they landed on trash or something so they were only bruised up a little. They only splet under their bed once, and thats because his mother and father were fighting. His father was very abusive towards their mother (not to his children) and she threw boiling water on him. And another time some how she was able to trip him or get him down onto the ground, and Mike, his brother, and his sister all beat him with stuff. Mike got a shoe and hit him in the face, his brother and sister held him down. Then, their father never hit her again. Mike didn't have it as bad as others. Frazier used to have to go with his father to meet the prostetute, and have to wait out in the car while his father did his stuff. Mike was lucky he didn't have tons of brothers and sisters on top of being poor like Frazier, Holmes, and Foreman. Foreman used to mug people out on the streets. But he was so big and strong nothing really bad ever happened to him. People like to blame Mike's childhood for his behaviour, but really he was the problem the whole time. If he was well behaved or wasn't a savage, he would have had an all right child hood, just poor. Holmes used to have fight for food sometimes. Him and his brothers would go to a bar, duke it out with other kids, then eat and drink. He quit school during 7th grade because of a racist, stupid teacher, and getting in trouble from him for no reason.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
TysonJones said:
lol didnt you just post that.
LOL. My computer screwed up and it made me log back in, and it posted it again. I don't know what happened.:dunno:

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
mike wasnt that way at all when he was younger. he got beat up all the time because at age 10 he was very very smal and skinny. He had a major growth spurt at the age or 13 and 14. He turned bad when a guy killed one of his pet pidgeons on the roof of his house. He put the guy in a coma for a week and was then sent to a institution/school. There he met a teacher or knocked him down because tyson acted up. Tyson then wanted to learn how to box. this man taught him everything he knew and later he met teddy atlas who took him to be cus damato. He then met kevin rooney who was a fighter at the time, but helped tyson learn the basics. At age 15 and half tyson was already 5'9 and 200 pounds of solid muscle and had never lifted weights. The first time they put him on a bench, he pressed 250 pounds 10 times with ease. He then sparred with frank bruno not to long after than and got the better of him.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
TysonJones said:
mike wasnt that way at all when he was younger. he got beat up all the time because at age 10 he was very very smal and skinny. He had a major growth spurt at the age or 13 and 14. He turned bad when a guy killed one of his pet pidgeons on the roof of his house. He put the guy in a coma for a week and was then sent to a institution/school. There he met a teacher or knocked him down because tyson acted up. Tyson then wanted to learn how to box. this man taught him everything he knew and later he met teddy atlas who took him to be cus damato. He then met kevin rooney who was a fighter at the time, but helped tyson learn the basics. At age 15 and half tyson was already 5'9 and 200 pounds of solid muscle and had never lifted weights. The first time they put him on a bench, he pressed 250 pounds 10 times with ease. He then sparred with frank bruno not to long after than and got the better of him.

He cut his brother when he was 7. He was arrested over 40 times by the time he was 12. When he was 3 he saw a guy rob the store below his aparment, and thought it was funny, so he took his brothers cap gun and started shooting at everyone. If it was real, and had bullets and such, he would have murderd his whole family. And yes, when Tyson was 10 a kid went up and ripped one of his pigions heads off in front of Mike, and yes Mike did beat him up. BUT he was bad before that. He was always bad, and always will be. That is the main reason I don't like him. He's a wild animal. He is very disrespectful to Holmes, Spinks, Ruddock, Holyfield, Lewis, and McBride. He was a very dirty fighter from the start, and thats another reason I don't like him. He wasn't sparring Bruno right after he started boxing, he was sparring a small time pro who would beat on him, until one day Tyson nailed him with a left straight that broke his nose. Then Tyson started sparring other guys. Atlas got him started off under the watchful eye of D'Amato, until in 1982, Tyson tried to rape Atlas's daughter, then Atlas tracted him down, held a gun to his head, and threatened to kill him if he ever did it again. So even under D'Amato's eyes, Tyson tried raping someone. Tyson is a savage at heart, and always will be.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bill1234 said:
He cut his brother when he was 7. He was arrested over 40 times by the time he was 12. When he was 3 he saw a guy rob the store below his aparment, and thought it was funny, so he took his brothers cap gun and started shooting at everyone. If it was real, and had bullets and such, he would have murderd his whole family. And yes, when Tyson was 10 a kid went up and ripped one of his pigions heads off in front of Mike, and yes Mike did beat him up. BUT he was bad before that. He was always bad, and always will be. That is the main reason I don't like him. He's a wild animal. He is very disrespectful to Holmes, Spinks, Ruddock, Holyfield, Lewis, and McBride. He was a very dirty fighter from the start, and thats another reason I don't like him. He wasn't sparring Bruno right after he started boxing, he was sparring a small time pro who would beat on him, until one day Tyson nailed him with a left straight that broke his nose. Then Tyson started sparring other guys. Atlas got him started off under the watchful eye of D'Amato, until in 1982, Tyson tried to rape Atlas's daughter, then Atlas tracted him down, held a gun to his head, and threatened to kill him if he ever did it again. So even under D'Amato's eyes, Tyson tried raping someone. Tyson is a savage at heart, and always will be.
Although I agree with you that most of the all-time great heavyweights of the past would beat Tyson. I really REALLY dont think Lewis would beat him at his prime. It took a near prime Lewis 8rounds to knock out a old washed up joke(tyson) and the Tyson of 88 would probably knock the Tyson that versed Lewis in 2rounds or not even that'.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
R_9-Ronaldo said:
Although I agree with you that most of the all-time great heavyweights of the past would beat Tyson. I really REALLY dont think Lewis would beat him at his prime. It took a near prime Lewis 8rounds to knock out a old washed up joke(tyson) and the Tyson of 88 would probably knock the Tyson that versed Lewis in 2rounds or not even that'.

so your judging it like that then are you.

what about when they both faced razor ruddock in there primes?

lewis ko'd him in 1, tyson fought him twice because the first fight was competitive.

so using your logic that must easily make lewis the better fighter, but in reallity we know it dont work like that!

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
I think a prime Lewis would take a prime Tyson because its been proven that decent fighters in their primes that were taller than Mike and had a decent jab gave him trouble. And obviously, Lewis having the 3rd longest reach in boxing history, with a decent jab, and standing 6" taller than Mike, and could hit, would be too much for Mike. Mike never came back to win a fight after he was knocked down, regardless of how good he was doing before the knock down. I don't think Lewis would knock Tyson out, but I think once he got by the first 4 rounds, it would be all him. Tyson lost his steam after the first 4 rounds. He was still dangerous and explosive, but he just couldn't explode with combo's every other minute like he did in the first 4 rounds. Also, Lewis's uppercut would break apart Tyson's peek-a-boo defence.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
At first he mightve still been 'bad' but nowhere near as bad as what he has become, believe that Tyson went to jail for a false reason! I dont believe he raped that girl and the fact that he went to jail made him go nuts and it was even worse when he came out with everybody hating on him, Specially in the second Holyfield fight where Tyson got so frustrated that he bit his ear off not because "he couldnt hurt Holyfield" - the most stupid comment ive ever heard, But because right before that fight there were fans everywhere in the world holding up signs like "Tyson the rapist" "Tyson worst HATEDman on the planet"and started to miss his old team who use to look after him and all of that stuff really got to him in that ring where he just coulnt deal with somebody of Holyfields caliber at the time and because everybody was chearing against him and Teddy Atlas once even said that he believes Tyson realised the mistake he has done when firing Rooney and Co in jail. But let his pride get in the way of going back to them". Rooney once said Mike is very weak and unstable emotionally and needs to be looked after like a little kid, To this I remembered what the late great trainer of champions Cuz Damamto said "You have to keep him busy, or else there will be trouble"

1 - 20 of 48 Posts