Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Mark Vester

An inside source tells BoxingScene.com that former super middleweight champion Mikkel Kessler is looking at a possible move to light heavyweight division. Kessler had been scheduled to face Edison Miranda in a ten-round super middleweight contest on May 24 with Showtime televising, but after both sides reached an agreement for the fight - Kessler's camp pulled out without warning.

Kessler's withdrawal is said to be strategically timed with the recent retirement of WBA light heavyweight champion Danny Green. Green announced his retirement on Easter Sunday and made it official the next day.

With Green hanging up the gloves, the WBA title becomes vacant. Green was scheduled to defend the title against mandatory challenger Hugo Garay of Argentina on April 27. From what BoxingScene was told, Kessler will move up to 175-pounds, receive a decent enough ranking from the WBA to fight Garay for the vacant title. A win would position Kessler for numerous bouts in what is becoming a loaded division with Antonio Tarver, Clinton Woods, Chad Dawson, Joe Calzaghe, Bernard Hopkins, Roy Jones Jr., Glen Johnson and Felix Trinidad in the mix.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think that this rediems himself from doing what he did.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
True but he either fights Miranda and messes up entering the LHD at the perfect time OR dont fight Miranda and set yourself up for a great future of fights. Again if this is the case I don't blame him one bit.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
This is a very smart move for Kessler.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
True but he either fights Miranda and messes up entering the LHD at the perfect time OR dont fight Miranda and set yourself up for a great future of fights. Again if this is the case I don't blame him one bit.
If he fights Miranda and stays at 168 he can rule the division. You forget that Calzaghe said that he will fight at LHW for now on. So if Kessler wants to run the LHW division he'll have to meet Calzaghe again at some point and I dont think he wants to do that.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
If he fights Miranda and stays at 168 he can rule the division. You forget that Calzaghe said that he will fight at LHW for now on. So if Kessler wants to run the LHW division he'll have to meet Calzaghe again at some point and I dont think he wants to do that.
Miranda looks to be fighting AA in his next fight.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Miranda looks to be fighting AA in his next fight.
AA??? Hes a alcy now???

Sure he would. That was a great fight for both fighters and I would love to watch a Calzaghe-Kessler 2.
I would love to see it again too but Kessler is the one that got to go and fight and I dont think he wants to do that.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
can't blame kessler for making this move. he would've saved himself some flak had he simply not verbally committed to fight miranda.
Thats all he had to do. But didnt he sign a contract too???

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh ok. I still dont think that this move makes up for the way he handled the Miranda fight.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No dicision has been made by Kessler yet so. We really dont know. He might just retire.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts