Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MMA has already passed boxing, some people need to wake up and join the rest of the population in the year 2007.

I'm also a big fan of boxing and I can admit this. Its sad, but true. Todays boxing is a joke and theres only Don King to blame for the decline of a great sport. Anybody that thinks boxing is still remotely watchable needs to take a look at the heavyweight division (you know the division thats supposed to be the backbone premier division of boxing)

Boxing is much more inhumane than MMA. MMA is much more controlled and safe. What's worse than being punched repeatedly in the head, getting knocked down, getting back up the blood still rushing to your head, and getting hit in the head some more (which is where all the brain damage comes from)? What does MMA have that is worse than that?

Nothing, according to doctors.......

Most MMA fans are actually boxing fans because it's an element of MMA.

Your opinions?

·
Registered
26 Posts
MMA has already passed boxing, some people need to wake up and join the rest of the population in the year 2007.

I'm also a big fan of boxing and I can admit this. Its sad, but true. Todays boxing is a joke and theres only Don King to blame for the decline of a great sport. Anybody that thinks boxing is still remotely watchable needs to take a look at the heavyweight division (you know the division thats supposed to be the backbone premier division of boxing)

Boxing is much more inhumane than MMA. MMA is much more controlled and safe. What's worse than being punched repeatedly in the head, getting knocked down, getting back up the blood still rushing to your head, and getting hit in the head some more (which is where all the brain damage comes from)? What does MMA have that is worse than that?

Your opinions?
Boxing is still very watchable. I'm guessing you missed cotto - margarito fight.

I agree though boxing is more barbaric in the sense that it's a true blood sport and the risk of death or serious injury is much higher.

I am a hybrid fan of both. Sadly there arent many boxing fights that interest me, most espn fights suck, and HBO doesn't have a lot of fights a year.

MMA fights interest me a lot more no matter the skill level of the two guys fighting. That combined with the excellent reality TV series "The Ultimate Fighter" makes a winning combo for MMA.

MMA has effectively taken all the white fans who used to love boxing, turned them into MMA fans, and I'm sure more black and mexican fans are turning to MMA also.

It's clear to see, Mexicans are the only future of boxing. This is why I have no ******* clue why Bob Arum isn't pushing sissy DLH's ass to make the fight with margarito.

Unless DLH Margarito is made, consider it another example of the steak in the heart for boxing. The future does look bad, but I will go down as a fan with it.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Anybody that thinks boxing is still remotely watchable needs to take a look at the heavyweight division (you know the division thats supposed to be the backbone premier division of boxing)
I can understand it coming from a casual fan but true boxing fans know the heavyweight division hasn't been the best in boxing in a loooong time. Lower weights are more exciting.

That's what makes it more exciting IMO. I like to see what fighters can do when they're in trouble. It's more dramatic to watch a guy take a beating, recover and change the outcome of the fight than watch a referee step in after a quick flurry. And the head is not the only target. We've seen many bodyshot knockouts in this sport.

I don't think you can say that boxing is an element of MMA. Sure they incorporate some boxing techniques in MMA but there is a big skill difference if you look at what elite boxers can do.

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
You also need to remember that one boxing PPV still outsells an MMA PPV :)

So until you take higher gate receipts, gross revenue and higher PPV buys, Boxing will always be a step above MMA.

·
Registered
424 Posts

Your opinions?
And you need to wake up and join the rest of us boxing fans in 2008 :p

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
quite frankly if i was to hear some gay grunting noises and looked over the garden wall, i am sure it would look similar to some mma fights.

mma is skillful, but i find it boring like golf is skillful, yet it's boring to me also.

ofcourse this is a boxing forum and most will ofcourse prefer boxing. ye know if you go to a mma forum, do you expect them to say oh **** i dunno why all this time i have been watching ufc, boxing is the best!

even if mma does surpass boxing, who gives a ****. there are many sports out there and some of those fans don't like either. that's life. not everyone will like everything.

i myself am happy with boxing and am happy to spend my money on it.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
I watched a little bit of MMA and I got tired of it already. Watching people getting slammed and placed in submissioned reminded me of a more violent version of WWF back in the day to me. In boxing, one has all 12 rounds to show the world how much heart he/she has in he ring. MMA you have only 4 rounds I think, that's too short for me. I'm not going to wait for months to watch a four round fight. Second, I rarely see any comeback victories in the MMA, that automatically kills the exciting factor for me. In boxing, one sees many battles, upsets, and comeback victories...which is why I turn to boxing. Boxing always has interesting fights such as 43 year old man fighting a young power punching phenom, or men fighting in various weight classes, etc. MMA shows none of that or I missed it altogther. In other words, I can see someone watching the MMA if one has a short attention span or one doesn't love boxing for what it really is. Boxing isn't all about KOs and guys getting their faces bashed in....it's also about the art of sweet science and elusiveness. If you watch guys like Ra'shee Warren in the Olympics, you'll know what I'm talking about. The only MMA I watch now is the phenom Kimbo Slice and that's it.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts

Your opinions?
In 2007 there was De la Hoya-Mayweather and Mayweather-Hatton. When did MMA have big events like that in 2007 - as in fights that could do over 2 million PPV's? That's right. Never. You need to wake up. Boxing will always be a step above MMA.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
You come on a boxing forum and ask which is the best between MMA/Boxing? Its pretty obvious what the answer is going to be from 90% of the members man:laugh:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Why does MMA keep resurfacing here? Is it too much to ask that this forum be an MMA free zone? It keeps rearing its ugly head and I just want to chop that head off and be done with it. MMA is ****.

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
That's ridiculous. It hasn't passed boxing, it's still second best.

UFC 80 did 225,000 buys in the same month as Roy Jones Jr/Tito did 500,000 buys. More then twice as many. Boxing is more popular, entertaining & damn right BIGGER & BETTER then that UFC ****.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I watched a little bit of MMA and I got tired of it already. Watching people getting slammed and placed in submissioned reminded me of a more violent version of WWF back in the day to me. In boxing, one has all 12 rounds to show the world how much heart he/she has in he ring. MMA you have only 4 rounds I think, that's too short for me. I'm not going to wait for months to watch a four round fight. Second, I rarely see any comeback victories in the MMA, that automatically kills the exciting factor for me. In boxing, one sees many battles, upsets, and comeback victories...which is why I turn to boxing. Boxing always has interesting fights such as 43 year old man fighting a young power punching phenom, or men fighting in various weight classes, etc. MMA shows none of that or I missed it altogther. In other words, I can see someone watching the MMA if one has a short attention span or one doesn't love boxing for what it really is. Boxing isn't all about KOs and guys getting their faces bashed in....it's also about the art of sweet science and elusiveness. If you watch guys like Ra'shee Warren in the Olympics, you'll know what I'm talking about. The only MMA I watch now is the phenom Kimbo Slice and that's it.
I agree with most of this. The brevity of MMA fights makes them uninteresting to me.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts

UFC 80 did 225,000 buys in the same month as Roy Jones Jr/Tito did 500,000 buys. More then twice as many. Boxing is more popular, entertaining & damn right BIGGER & BETTER then that UFC ****.
Yep UFC has a decent fanbase but I don't see it matching boxing.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
can i say what i feel 95% of the forum will say "**** MMA, UFC, PRIDE, CAGE RAGE, KIMBO SLICE, YOUTUBE STREET FIGHTS AND THAT BIG ASS BLACK GIANT DUDE oh and the WWE"

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
In 2007 there was De la Hoya-Mayweather and Mayweather-Hatton. When did MMA have big events like that in 2007 - as in fights that could do over 2 million PPV's? That's right. Never. You need to wake up. Boxing will always be a step above MMA.

Money posts. Good stuff fellas. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
472 Posts
MMA is a fad, ever notice all the people that watch it, very few have been into it for more then 2 years??? boxing goes back 100+ years or classic after classic.

heavyweight divison is bad right now, that why hardly anyone talks about it, but look at the welterweight division in boxing, its very good.

10 years from now people will be saying MM- what???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mike Tyson's prodigy Billy Truong Boxing parts 1 & 2 Training with Heavy Punching Bag

Mike Tyson's prodigy Billy Truong Boxing part 1 Training with Heavy Punching Bag
YouTube - Mike Tyson's prodigy Billy Truong Boxing part 1 Training with Heavy Punching Bag
YouTube - Mike Tyson's prodigy Billy Truong Boxing part 1 Training with Heavy Punching Bag

Mike Tyson's prodigy Billy Truong Boxing part 2
YouTube - Mike Tyson's prodigy Billy Truong Boxing part 2
YouTube - Mike Tyson's prodigy Billy Truong Boxing part 2

1 - 20 of 22 Posts