Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Boxingscene:

By Ronnie Nathanielsz

International Boxing Federation flyweight champion Nonito Donaire’s planned fight on the undercard of the blockbuster headlined by the battle between Miguel Cotto and Antonio Margarito on July 26 is far from certain.

Michael Koncz who is close to Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said “I just talked to Bruce (Trampler) and that’s not going to happen on that card unless he fights Fernando Montiel” who is the WBO super flyweight champion. Trampler is Top Rank’s longtime matchmaker.

Koncz said Top Rank has the four televised bouts on the card and unless they are able to arrange a Donaire-Montiel title fight, “The Filipino Flash” won’t be on the show.

Montiel is slated to fight Jose Navarro who has lost his last two title fights dropping a unanimous decision to IBF champion Dimitri Kirilov on October 13, 2007 and a split decision to WBC champion Christian Mijares last February 16.

Donaire’s father and trainer Nonito Donaire Sr. had said that the IBF flyweight champion was to fight on the July 26 card but didn’t know who he was scheduled to fight.

Most fight fans believe that a Donaire-Montiel super flyweight title fight would be a bigger attraction that a Montiel-Navarro bout although Bob Arum had earlier told us he was planning to put Montiel on a fight card in the gambling enclave of Macau either against Donaire or Z “The Dream” Gorres who Montiel defeated by a hugely controversial split decision in February 2007.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I'll take Montiel.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I too would take Montiel, but I don't think this will get done in time for the Cotto-Margarito under card. I'd rather see Montiel-Mijares in August or something.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Montiel has gone from a boxer-puncher to almost a seek and destroy fighter recently. I see him stopping Donaire

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Donaire is big for a flyweight and a great counter puncher, so I would give him a good shot at beating Montiel even though he's been looking like a monster lately. I'd still pick Montiel as of right now, its already 6 weeks away from that date so it's not gonna happen. I dont believe nothin that writer writes.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
That's the fight I wanna see! It will be more exciting than Montiel/Mijares. I like both guys they are tremendeous fighters but I gotta go with my boy Donaire. Montiel has a great timing and killing instinct but donaire is faster and is a good counterpuncher. Gorres gave Montiel a tough fight and he's a quick, accurate counterpuncher. Just like Donaire.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I'd love to see this one, but how could it possibly make the Cotto/Margarito undercard? That'd be practically unheard of at this late stage. I too want to see Montiel and Mijares, but if Montiel can get past Donaire, then that only serves to build up their eventual meeting even more. Don't sleep on Nonito, though. Remember what everyone was saying about Darchinyan coming into that fight? Do you also remember Donaire's knockout of the year against him?

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Donaire smoked Darchinyan. That was great. I agree that there's no way this fight gets made for July 26th.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
this is gonna be a good one.:thumbsup: I'm gonna go with Donaire. the dude has looked outstanding from the couple fights that I have seen. well so has Montiel for that matter. should be a good fight.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
This will be the second best "little guy" fight this year. It's real hard to top Vazquez/Marquez but this fight is one of the few that has a chance.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
This will be the second best "little guy" fight this year. It's real hard to top Vazquez/Marquez but this fight is one of the few that has a chance.
I don't like when people say things like "best little guy fight" or "good little fighter" they are fighters period. The lower weights are more exciting these days and the big guys suck.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Yeah but they are little guys. I mean 122 pounds??? I weighted 122 when I was 12.
More like 112 and 115lb lol but they can bang. Warriors come in all shapes and sizes.

This would really be a pick um fight. I lean barely towards Montiel. By SD or MD. I think it would be that close
You think it would go the distance? I'd bet a lot on the under.

I'd go with Donaire but its a very very tough one to pick
Good pick man.

·
Banned
57 Posts
I'll be interested to see the odds if this fight gets made. I think i'd go with nonito, but it really is just a pick em and hope type of fight. I like both fighters but i think i'd like to see nonito get the win because he is just a generally humble and respectful guy.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I'll be interested to see the odds if this fight gets made. I think i'd go with nonito, but it really is just a pick em and hope type of fight. I like both fighters but i think i'd like to see nonito get the win because he is just a generally humble and respectful guy.
Damn right. He was very respectful towards Darchinyan after their fight but Darchinyan was talking nonsense like "I wasn't hurt" or "you respect me? are you gonna fight me again?". Shiit he deserved to get KTFO.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts