·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upset: Mora scorches Forrest;
Williams punishes Quintana!

Saturday, June 7 2008

By Scott Ploof and Billy "Loops" Luppert at ringside

Unbeaten Sergio Mora (21-0-1, 5 KOs) became the first "Contender" fighter to win a world title, upsetting champion Vernon Forrest (40-3, 29 KOs) via majority decision to claim the WBC super welterweight title. The 37-year-old Forrest showed distain for the decade-younger Contender star Mora before the fight, but Mora had more energy and outworked Forrest over the second half of the fight. Scores were 114-114 115-113 116-112 for Mora.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Glad i did'nt bet on that one.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
But was it exciting in the least? And did Mora deserve the nod? The scores were pretty close. I'm looking forward to seeing this one. Could it be that Mora is no longer boring and undeserving or was it just that he was fighting an overconfident older champ?

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Mora did deserve the win.. He clearly won the fight: Give him credit he can fight a little...However we have to point out that Forest showed his age and couldnt fight after the 6th round, he was tired and slow, its time for him to retire for good, he was lucky that Mora isnt a big puncher.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
i'm actually quite happy. i read an article where forrest was saying i sparred with mora and o laughed at him while using one hand. he's got nothing. he also said that nice guys don't win and that he is gonna be a bad man now. well forrest, i like you as a boxer but mora is a nice guy and won.

i watched the contender when mora was in it. i was surprised he won but he clearly is a decent boxer. i enjoyed the scene where his team won the games or whatever and they got to go and buy soem suits paid by the show. he never wore a suit before ijn his life and he was a lil emotional sayin this is my first suit. he had some big smile on his face too over such a small thing.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
HUGE upset imo, i was sure Forrest would pound Mora, guess i was wrong, kudos to Mora though he gets alot of heat and i hope he fights a good fighter next so we can see if this was a fluke or not.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I havent seen this fight yet but im interested in it. I just couldn't see any version of Mora beating the Forrest that whooped Baldomir, either Forrest has declined or Mora is better than we give him credit for. It could be the latter.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Forrest will win a rematch.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Forrest will win a rematch.
Forget that man, he couldn't even wobble this slapster mora, no sir is all down hill from here on, even a rematch with Mayorga if it were to happen would be a life and death struggle, we've seen the best Forrest could give but now the basement is empty....

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
His age was aparent last night, he was out of gas by the sixth, and he ate way too many punches in my oppinion. I think its time for Forrest..

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
His age was aparent last night, he was out of gas by the sixth, and he ate way too many punches in my oppinion. I think its time for Forrest..
Ecxactly Mega it was not Moras thecnique but his youth that beat Forrest
He's gonna have to do some real soul searching but he indicated that he needs further proof in order to hang'em up......

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Forrest was a pretty solid fighter in his prime, but I still have a hard time getting my head around the fact that he dominated Mosley so completely both times they fought. Neither of them were even close. I know Forrest is rangy, had a good jab, and good come back with the right hand pretty well too, but Mosley is a sure fire hall of famer and when I watch the Mosley that beat De La Hoya in their first fight, I just shake my head. I guess Vernon just had his number. That, and maybe he was naturally too big for Shane.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I just don't think Shane can handle taller, rangy fighters with good jabs. Winky and Forrest jabs are two of the best in the business.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
But was it exciting in the least? And did Mora deserve the nod? The scores were pretty close. I'm looking forward to seeing this one. Could it be that Mora is no longer boring and undeserving or was it just that he was fighting an overconfident older champ?
It wasn't that exciting. But Mora deserved it

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
The fight was very boring in my opinion. To me it was decided by Forrest looking terrible, and not Mora looking good.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts