Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"My plans are to return to the ring in 2009," says Mexican ring legend Erik Morales. The legendary three-division champion told esto that he plans to come back in a ten-rounder, then seek a championship fight. "I think I can come back and fight again and win a championship because I don't consider myself finished," he continued. "There's nothing unusual in taking a long break like Roy Jones or Felix Trinidad have done. I saw the action between Armando Santa Cruz and Joel Casamayor, and I believe that at this point I do better." In the meantime, Morales has begun working as the new director of the Municipal Institute of Sport in Tijuana.

I THINK HE'S FINISHED

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
I think thats great news, although he's slightly past his best i thought he won the Diaz fight and looked very good doing it.

He can defo win another strap, just not against Juan.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I think he should just retire, hes one of my favourite fighter's all-time and IMO if he can't beat David Diaz clearly he just doesnt have it anymore.

Don't risk your health man:thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I don't think he needs to do that. He had a great career and he's one of the greatest super featherweights of all time so I don't wanna see him degrade himself. But if he has financial problems then I understand. He's not physically shot to pieces so he can still make some bucks in a decent fight.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I think he should just retire, hes one of my favourite fighter's all-time and IMO if he can't beat David Diaz clearly he just doesnt have it anymore.

Don't risk your health man:thumbsdown:
I agree 100% with Tom. Morales and Barerra need to both stay away in my opinion unless they are hurting for money.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I don't think he needs to do that. He had a great career and he's one of the greatest super featherweights of all time so I don't wanna see him degrade himself. But if he has financial problems then I understand. He's not physically shot to pieces so he can still make some bucks in a decent fight.
I understand what you mean man, but i think Morales is ok for money. He sounds like he has a fairly decent job after boxing, the director of sport for Tijuana or whatever. To me, if he cant beat David Diaz he doesnt have much chance against anyone. He is IMO the greatest 122lber of all-time.. he was awesome down there:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I understand what you mean man, but i think Morales is ok for money. He sounds like he has a fairly decent job after boxing, the director of sport for Tijuana or whatever. To me, if he cant beat David Diaz he doesnt have much chance against anyone. He is IMO the greatest 122lber of all-time.. he was awesome down there:thumbsup:
A director of sport doesn't make the same bucks as a world champ. But I think he's comfortable given that life is cheap down there. It could be that he's missing the spotlight or he wanna retire on a win.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Yeh, he REALLY wants to be the first Mexican four-weight champion so thats probably still his motivation. Id love to see him do it, but i think both Diaz's beat him, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Eriks the man. I think the long lay off untill 09 will make him come back just as good.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
I agree 100% with Tom. Morales and Barerra need to both stay away in my opinion unless they are hurting for money.
Morales even moreso than Barerra I'd say. Morales isnt beating the top guys at this point in his career. Coming back in '09 just makes him another year older, body and reflexes. Plus his heart was very questionable as well.

I think if he wants a "goodbye" fight against easy competition, I'd be ok with that, but he really should step away...

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Morales even moreso than Barerra I\'d say. Morales isnt beating the top guys at this point in his career. Coming back in \'09 just makes him another year older, body and reflexes. Plus his heart was very questionable as well.

I think if he wants a \"goodbye\" fight against easy competition, I\'d be ok with that, but he really should step away...
I think this is the first time I ever read anybody question Erik\'s heart.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
and me lol erik has one of the biggest hearts out there, the only time i questioned it was against pac in the 3rd when he was looking to his corner but still he showed heart in that fight

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
and me lol erik has one of the biggest hearts out there, the only time i questioned it was against pac in the 3rd when he was looking to his corner but still he showed heart in that fight
I dont think he showed any heart in that fight.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts