Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's most likely going to be set for October 11 at Staples Center. Sure, it could be an interesting fight. I always love to watch Shane and Mayorga definitely comes to fight, but HBO thinks I'm going to pay $50 for this one? I wasn't keen on paying that for the Mosley/Judah fight that was nixed by the shower door, so how do you think I feel about this one?

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
It definitely should not be PPV UNLESS it has a very good undercard. Then again Mosley-Judah shouldn't have been PPV either :(

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Another freebie indeed. ;)

Who needs Showtime and HBO when we get all there fights free. :laugh:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Then again Hatton-Malignaggi will be free in the US. It definitely won't be over here :laugh:

Thats only one fighter bro. ;)

That could be PPV over there too.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
That last Hatton fight was on VS because HBO didn't want to pay for that shitt! Hatton-Malignaggi might as well be a Telefutura fight over here.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
That last Hatton fight was on VS because HBO didn't want to pay for that shitt! Hatton-Malignaggi might as well be a Telefutura fight over here.

HBO were all over the fight :laugh:

They wanted it prime time states though which Ricky refused point blank. :laugh:

Backpedal time. LOL!

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Thats only one fighter bro. ;)

That could be PPV over there too.
Yeah man, it seems that anything can be made PPV over there. Still, lets not turn it into a US vs. UK PPV debate. We know how sensitive they get :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
If they were all over the fight and it was going to do great numbers they would have paid. They didn't. Nuff said.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
HBO were all over the fight :laugh:

They wanted it prime time states though which Ricky refused point blank. :laugh:

Backpedal time. LOL!
They would have taken the fight, but only prime-time. So they dropped it. They weren't all over it but they did want it :thumbsup:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
If they were all over the fight and it was going to do great numbers they would have paid. They didn't. Nuff said.
Ricky Hatton snubs big money fight offer for sake of Manchester fans
May 2 2008 By Frank Haines

RICKY HATTON yesterday admitted he has given up a fortune to ensure his next fight is staged at a time when his fans can see it.

The world light-welterweight champion will fight in England for the first time in two-and-a-half years when he takes on Mexican Lazcano at the City of Manchester Stadium on May 24 in his return to the ring after being beaten by Floyd Mayweather in December.

More than 35,000 British fans travelled to Las Vegas despite the vast majority being unable to capture tickets for the Mayweather fight and Hatton is keen to show his appreciation, with 55,000 people having the chance to see him at the home of his beloved Manchester City later this month.

Fans in the UK usually have to stay up until the early hours to watch high-profile British fighters due to the demands of American television but not on this occasion.

Hatton has opted to disappoint American TV giants HBO and promoters Golden Boy in order to ensure his fight, being shown live on Sky Box Office, is at the right time for fans on this side of the Atlantic.

He said: "It's always nice to be home. My last four fights have been in America and the support I got over there has been phenomenal - with 35,000 going over. I can't see that being bettered by a British fighter. It makes me feel so proud.

"And not only that, it's also for the fans who have supported me from day one back in England, Great Britain and Manchester, who thought they had lost the chance to see my fight again here live.

"Not everybody can afford to fly to the US for every fight, so all my fans are going to get the chance to see Ricky Hatton, not just the ones who came to America.

"It's at a fan-friendly time, an English time. I put my contract with HBO and Golden Boy on hold so that I don't have to have it at two in the morning just to coincide with TV.

"I could have made a fair few extra quid for having it at two in the morning.

"But I chose to put it on hold because I don't like the idea of 55,000 people coming to watch me at 2am. It's my way of saying thank you really."

Amir Khan will be trained by promoter Frank Warren's matchmaker Dean Powell for his next fight.

The Bolton star has confirmed his split with Manchester's Oliver Harrison, who trained Khan for all of his 17 professional fights

Ricky Hatton snubs big money fight offer for sake of Manchester fans - The Daily Record

Backpedal? :(

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Like I said if they wanted the fight and were convinced it would do big numbers they would have got it. They didn't. Nuff said.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
They would have taken the fight, but only prime-time. So they dropped it. They weren't all over it but they did want it :thumbsup:
What it actualy was was HBO have programe slots to fill and the one they had open for the fight was primetime. They offered Hatton a rediculous amount of Money to fight at that time but he wanted to give his fans something back. :thumbsup:

HBO never wanted it. :laugh:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Like I said if they wanted the fight and were convinced it would do big numbers they would have got it. They didn't. Nuff said.
They never wanted it but they offered Hatton a load of cash to change his plans. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
It's quite obvious HBO wanted the fight. It's also obvious they weren't desparate for it. Man it don't take much working out does it :laugh:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
It's quite obvious HBO wanted the fight. It's also obvious they weren't desparate for it. Man it don't take much working out does it :laugh:
If they had made no offer then yeah, he'd have a case but where i come from when an offers made for something it pretty much means somebody wants something. LOL!

*sigh*

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Yea Im pretty sure HBO wants just about every fight made but its just what they are willing to pay for it.
Hatton = $$$$

They'd be stupid not to want a peice of the action.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts