Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Old article.

Sugar Shane Mosley's lawyer Judd Burstein has rejected Top Rank's $1.1 million offer to challenge WBO world welterweight champion Antonio Margarito, calling the terms "ridiculously low." However, Fightnews.com has confirmed that Mosley fought for less than half of that amount while being relegated to undercard status on last Saturday's ESPN2 pay-per-view telecast. Sugar Shane, who has won two of his last seven fights, made $500,000 when going the distance against 8-1 underdog David Estrada underneath Margarito's devastating fourth round knockout of previously unbeaten Kermit Cintron. Margarito made $300,000 for that bout.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmmmm. i'm not sure what to make of this. mosley definately should be making more than 1.1 million, so i understand why he'd turn that down.
He'd just fought Estrada for 500k before that though Mark, he was making over 1m to fight for a title again.

Thats an old article by the way dude, i just found it on another board.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
ahhhh...just noticed that. i do remember him saying that he was taking less money to setup better paying matches down the line back then on some website. i think he was on his way until he messed up and fought cotto the wrong way early in their fight.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
at Mosely's age I can understand him turning it down. now I don't know exactly what Mosley's regular or going rate is but I also figured it to be atleast or somewhere around 2-5 mil. he might have one or two fights left in his career so banking off of them would be a big priority to him IMO.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
No reason for him to fight Margarito. Especially for 1.1 mill. SSM will fight again this year maybe twice. I got a little inside scoop on who it might be. I'll give you a guys a hint.

Oscar wants a tune up for a certain fight and now im hearing that hes opponent might want to do the same.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No reason for him to fight Margarito. Especially for 1.1 mill. SSM will fight again this year maybe twice. I got a little inside scoop on who it might be. I'll give you a guys a hint.

Oscar wants a tune up for a certain fight and now im hearing that hes opponent might want to do the same.

Im hearing Oscar v Malignaggi is almost a done deal for a fight at a catch weight of 150 Ron.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
i know malignaggi has gone on record saying he wants another tune-up(title defense) before taking on any name fighter. if he's fighting dlh in may i can't see how he can squeeze in another fight.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i know malignaggi has gone on record saying he wants another tune-up(title defense) before taking on any name fighter. if he's fighting dlh in may i can't see how he can squeeze in another fight.
He said after the Ngoudju fight he wanted the money fights now though Mark, if thats the case theres no bigger money fight for him than DLH.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
But who really wants to see that fight and Oscar must be fighting him to adjust to Floyds speed. I see no other reason.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But who really wants to see that fight and Oscar must be fighting him to adjust to Floyds speed. I see no other reason.
I think thats why it aint PPV Ron, the fights just a tune-up.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
I think thats why it aint PPV Ron, the fights just a tune-up.
I know its a tune up Tommy. But Malignaggi is far beneith Oscar. He should be a sparring partner rather than a fight.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know its a tune up Tommy. But Malignaggi is far beneith Oscar. He should be a sparring partner rather than a fight.
Its just a tune-up though Ron, you cant expect Oscar to fight A-level guys every time he steps in the ring. :laugh:

He's only fought 18 rounds of boxing since the the Hopkins fight, he's just trying to shake the rust off before going at it with pbf again.

That would be 18 rounds in 4 years without the May fight against a chump.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Its just a tune-up though Ron, you cant expect Oscar to fight A-level guys every time he steps in the ring. :laugh:

He's only fought 18 rounds of boxing since the the Hopkins fight, he's just trying to shake the rust off before going at it with pbf again.

That would be 18 rounds in 4 years without the May fight against a chump.
I know that and Im not exspecting him to fight A levelers. But Oscar fighting him is like Floyd fighting Junior Witter. Dig Me???

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
I dont see this going past 3. Unless Mag runs around all night. So wahts the point in fighting someone you will most likely ko in the first 3-5 rounds as a tune up? He wont get any work.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts