Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
"A U.S. District Court judge has unsealed thousands of previously court-protected documents from the BALCO drug case including former world champion "Sugar" Shane Mosley's 2003 grand jury testimony. According to the New York Daily News, Mosley testified that he injected himself with the performance enhancing substance EPO before his second fight with Oscar De La Hoya, who ironically is now his business partner. Mosley is scheduled to challenge WBA welterweight champion Antonio Margarito on January 24th." -fightnews.com

There was a recent thread about steroids in boxing and I clearly remember people being offended that I was of the opinion that steroids is prevelant in every major sport, including boxing. Well, he's some more proof for the naive. The stuff is everywhere.

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
It IS everywhere, I wouldnt deny that but sometimes people think of it as steroids- to get big and buff and be stronger. In many cases thats the reason but there is also alot of times athletes take certain steroids for medical reasons and other things. I just think its stupid, steroids make you stronger but has nothing to do with how skillful someone is at something. I do think there neeeds to be better testing and more often though.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It IS everywhere, I wouldnt deny that but sometimes people think of it as steroids- to get big and buff and be stronger. In many cases thats the reason but there is also alot of times athletes take certain steroids for medical reasons and other things. I just think its stupid, steroids make you stronger but has nothing to do with how skillful someone is at something. I do think there neeeds to be better testing and more often though.
Steroids are also taken for faster recovery after workouts. Doesn't matter why theyre being taken, they give a fighter an unfair edge hence why they're illegal. When you're recovering from workouts at lightning speed and building muscle (even just to get up to a weight) faster than your natural body can do so, it comprimises everything. While roids don't directly improve your boxing skills, indirectly they absolutely do.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Steroids are also taken for faster recovery after workouts. Doesn't matter why theyre being taken, they give a fighter an unfair edge hence why they're illegal. When you're recovering from workouts at lightning speed and building muscle (even just to get up to a weight) faster than your natural body can do so, it comprimises everything. While roids don't directly improve your boxing skills, indirectly they absolutely do.

good post :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
a side affect of steroids is having your balls and **** shrink apparently. jin mosley probably quite tight so not a big deal for him. maybe even a positive

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
a side affect of steroids is having your balls and **** shrink apparently. jin mosley probably quite tight so not a big deal for him. maybe even a positive
:laugh: Best post of the thread.

Too bad EPO isn't steroids though. To learn more about EPO visit here:

EPO

In short, it's a protein hormone naturally produced by the liver & kidney that stimulates the production of red blood cells. Medically it's used to treat forms of anemia, but for the sake of a boxer using it it creates higher oxygen carrying capacity. It would help to explain why Mosley kicked into high gear the second half of the fight against Oscar and dominated.

In Mosley's defense, he had no business at 154 anyways. He's a natural Lightweight who progressed to a Welterweight in his older age. Even now 154 isn't natural for him, and Oscar was his very first fight at 154. I still don't understand how this could be illegal when stuff like Creatine is OK. Creatine as far as I'm concerned is nothing more than legal steroids (from a functional point of view, the biology is different).

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
obama i might be wrong but but was creatine not banned in alot of sports? i thought i read it somewhere?

Either way, its a sad day to read that about Mosely. Performance enhancing drugs are cheating and i like Mosely but he totally let himself down with this ****.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts

EPO

In short, it's a protein hormone naturally produced by the liver & kidney that stimulates the production of red blood cells. Medically it's used to treat forms of anemia, but for the sake of a boxer using it it creates higher oxygen carrying capacity. It would help to explain why Mosley kicked into high gear the second half of the fight against Oscar and dominated.

In Mosley's defense, he had no business at 154 anyways. He's a natural Lightweight who progressed to a Welterweight in his older age. Even now 154 isn't natural for him, and Oscar was his very first fight at 154. I still don't understand how this could be illegal when stuff like Creatine is OK. Creatine as far as I'm concerned is nothing more than legal steroids (from a functional point of view, the biology is different).

Well, I thought creatine saturated muscle cells with water, whereas EPO as you said stimulates th oxygen carrying capacity. The EPO seems like a better choice.

Nice post man

G

·
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I don't like reading this. Mosley is my boy. :facepalm:
Take solice in the fact that almost everybody elses "boys" on this forum have almost certainly tried them at some point in their career as well. Nobody should kid themselves. Mosley would've been one of the last people I suspected.....

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

EPO

2 things I disagree with.

1. Mosley didn't dominate DLH in the second fight. I, and many others had DLH winning that fight.

2. You can't defend him for taking a illegal substance. He did it for the money DLH brought. If you don't belong at a weight, don't go up. I have a feeling it was a lot more then EPO. I remember hearing how Mosley was benching and squating crazy amounts of weight at that time. If this is indeed true, That win should be taken out of the record books.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12

1. Mosley didn't dominate DLH in the second fight. I, and many others had DLH winning that fight.

2. You can't defend him for taking a illegal substance. He did it for the money DLH brought. If you don't belong at a weight, don't go up. I have a feeling it was a lot more then EPO. I remember hearing how Mosley was benching and squating crazy amounts of weight at that time. If this is indeed true, That win should be taken out of the record books.
There is no defense, bottom line.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
There is no defense, bottom line.
You got that right.

I think EPO is actually worse then roids. Stamina means so much in certain sports like boxing, cycling ect. I hope this doesn't just get swept under the rug.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You got that right.

I think EPO is actually worse then roids. Stamina means so much in certain sports like boxing, cycling ect. I hope this doesn't just get swept under the rug.
Mosley is no idiot. He has the best guys in the world around him. You better believe the drug he recieved was the one that would serve his purpose the best. Since EPO was the choice, there's got to be something great in there for boxers. A boxing legend like Mosley isn't putting some John Doe experimental **** into his body.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Mosley is no idiot. He has the best guys in the world around him. You better believe the drug he recieved was the one that would serve his purpose the best. Since EPO was the choice, there's got to be something great in there for boxers. A boxing legend like Mosley isn't putting some John Doe experimental **** into his body.
It's the same shyt the all the Tour de France riders are getting caught with. The same stuff they keep tring to pin on Lance Armstrong. Mosley has now lost all my respect. I hope Margarito beats him to a bloody pulp.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
I don't like reading this. Mosley is my boy. :facepalm:

Tough times befall on us all my friend. If you'd like to change your username to SugarSteve now, I will totally understand man...

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
It's the same shyt the all the Tour de France riders are getting caught with. The same stuff they keep tring to pin on Lance Armstrong. Mosley has now lost all my respect. I hope Margarito beats him to a bloody pulp.
The only thing I would caution against is thinking that Mosley is the only one. When Canseco came out saying he did steroids, guys above on the totem pole like Mcgwire, Palmiero, Sosa, Bonds (maybe the best ever) were also outted. I'm not saying in anyway that Margarito is or has ever done roids. I'm just saying that Mosley is certainly not alone out there. If anything, it proves that it could be anybody, even a legend.:facepalm:

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
The only thing I would caution against is thinking that Mosley is the only one. When Canseco came out saying he did steroids, guys above on the totem pole like Mcgwire, Palmiero, Sosa, Bonds (maybe the best ever) were also outted. I'm not saying in anyway that Margarito is or has ever done roids. I'm just saying that Mosley is certainly not alone out there. If anything, it proves that it could be anybody, even a legend.:facepalm:
I'm sure he is not the only one. But when the whole Balco thing came out and his name was invloved, as much as I felt he took roids, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Now that he admitted it himself, fukk him. I would feel the same about any fighter. Hell, JCC is one of my favorites ever and if he came out and said he took roids I'd say fukk him too.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts

I'm sure he is not the only one. But when the whole Balco thing came out and his name was invloved, as much as I felt he took roids, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Now that he admitted it himself, fukk him. I would feel the same about any fighter. Hell, JCC is one of my favorites ever and if he came out and said he took roids I'd say fukk him too.
1) I didn't say he dominated the second fight, I said he dominated the second half of that fight. Oscar dominated the first half.

2) I can defend whoever I want. You can choose not to find the defense acceptable to your standards, but I'm entitled to defend anyone I damn sure please. There isn't anything to disagree with here since I did not state what he did was OK, which I do not think it was. Now finally giving my position on the matter, others are free to disagree with me. You wouldn't be on that list.

3) It's not steroids.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
1) I didn't say he dominated the second fight, I said he dominated the second half of that fight. Oscar dominated the first half.

2) I can defend whoever I want. You can choose not to find the defense acceptable to your standards, but I'm entitled to defend anyone I damn sure please. There isn't anything to disagree with here since I did not state what he did was OK, which I do not think it was. Now finally giving my position on the matter, others are free to disagree with me. You wouldn't be on that list.

3) It's not steroids.
1. you said he kicked it into high gear the second half and dominated. Which could also mean dominated the fight depending on how you read it, since you didn't specify that he dominated only the second half.

2. :blah::blah::blah: This whole statement sounds like you need to pull your panties out your azz. And I entitled to disagree with anyone I damn sure please.

3. it was illegal, period. Sounds like he was having doubts on being able to beat him again so he had to cheat to do it.:thumbsdown: His name is invloved in Balco yet he only took EPO and not roids? PLEASEEEEEEEEEE!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts