Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMO it has to be Mike Tyson. His skills, power, and heart are very overrated. And a lot of people who rate him at number one usually say "well, I like to remember him in his prime, so I rate him from when he was in his prime" IMO that is BS. Or they say "he never lost a fight in his prime, and I don't count the douglas fight because he didn't train". Well, a lot of people were undefeated in their primes. Holmes was 48-0 in his prime until he got robbed. He has a strong argument to have been 50-0. Also people say "Tyson was so devastating in his prime, and he had the potential to be the greatest, so I choose to imagine that he did". Well, the key word is POTENTIAL. He didn't live up to his potential. He pretty much single handedly destroyed it on his own.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
bill1234 said:
IMO it has to be Mike Tyson. His skills, power, and heart are very overrated. And a lot of people who rate him at number one usually say "well, I like to remember him in his prime, so I rate him from when he was in his prime" IMO that is BS. Or they say "he never lost a fight in his prime, and I don't count the douglas fight because he didn't train". Well, a lot of people were undefeated in their primes. Holmes was 48-0 in his prime until he got robbed. He has a strong argument to have been 50-0. Also people say "Tyson was so devastating in his prime, and he had the potential to be the greatest, so I choose to imagine that he did". Well, the key word is POTENTIAL. He didn't live up to his potential. He pretty much single handedly destroyed it on his own.
mikes heart should not be in question!!

didn't you see the lewis fight bill? mike done himself proud that night being man enough to take the beating he did, he showed the heart of a lion that night.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tommygunn said:
mikes heart should not be in question!!

didn't you see the lewis fight bill? mike done himself proud that night being man enough to take the beating he did, he showed the heart of a lion that night.
Holmes took a worse beatinig in the the Tyson fight, he would have gotten up a 3rd time if Cortez didn't stop it. Or the beating Ali took from Holmes, yes, Holmes went easy on him the last 8 rounds, but the first 2 he showed very little mercy.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
bill1234 said:
Holmes took a worse beatinig in the the Tyson fight, he would have gotten up a 3rd time if Cortez didn't stop it. Or the beating Ali took from Holmes, yes, Holmes went easy on him the last 8 rounds, but the first 2 he showed very little mercy.
i disagree, none of those were worse than the beating mike took from lewis, that was a cold calculated performance from lewis that night.

id much rather have taken the shots holmes did from mike than the shots tyson did from lewis, that kinda beating mike took ages a fighter 10 years!

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
bill, im starting to think you just dont like tyson and all the attention he gets over your man marciano. Tyson was better than marciano. Marciano is the most overrated heavyweight of all time in my mind. but tyson being the most overrated boxer of all time lol, i think not. Tyson was amazing and most people dont give him any credit anywayz. i personally think leonard and robinson are a little overrated myself.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tommygunn said:
i disagree, none of those were worse than the beating mike took from lewis, that was a cold calculated performance from lewis that night.

id much rather have taken the shots holmes did from mike than the shots tyson did from lewis, that kinda beating mike took ages a fighter 10 years!
Holmes was pounded by Tyson. Sure he put up a good fight in the 3rd round, and actually won it, and the begining of the 4th round made Mike look silly, but after that his age caught up with him. Mike hit Larry with shots that even Mike would have been KO'd by.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TysonJones said:
bill, im starting to think you just dont like tyson and all the attention he gets over your man marciano. Tyson was better than marciano. Marciano is the most overrated heavyweight of all time in my mind. but tyson being the most overrated boxer of all time lol, i think not. Tyson was amazing and most people dont give him any credit anywayz. i personally think leonard and robinson are a little overrated myself.
I don't like Tyson. If Tyson was better than Marciano, he would have been undefeated. Tyson does get more attention than Marciano, and I really don't care about that. Tyson doesn't get credit? He gets way too much credit. Larry Holmes, now he doesn't get credit. People still aren't giving him the credit he deserves, their starting to give him more, but they still aren't giving him enough.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
TysonJones said:
i also think rockys a little overated. a lot of guys are just in love with his 0.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
the only reason people still talk about marciano is becasue he never lost and the fact that the heavyweight divisoin sucks right now. marciano was better than tyson because he had 0 losses? wow..............:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TysonJones said:
the only reason people still talk about marciano is becasue he never lost and the fact that the heavyweight divisoin sucks right now. marciano was better than tyson because he had 0 losses? wow..............:rolleyes:
And because he is a top 10 ATG. Even Henry will agree there. Oh, and he has the highest KO percentage out of any heavyweight champion. Even Tyson.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Well i dont hink i can call Marciano the most overrated of all time but ive watched few fights with him and i think any guy who has height, power and good jab would crush him. What i saw of him he had no defense he just took the punches on his chin now tell me that would work against Gerorge Foreman or Lewis.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brutus said:
Well i dont hink i can call Marciano the most overrated of all time but ive watched few fights with him and i think any guy who has height, power and good jab would crush him. What i saw of him he had no defense he just took the punches on his chin now tell me that would work against Gerorge Foreman or Lewis.

He had better defence than people give him credit for. LaStarza said he's harder to hit than it looks. He would duck really low down, below the person waist, and he would spring up with an uppercut that would completley surprise and destroy his oppenents. Look what he did to Louis in the end. It was his uppercut that set Louis up. Louis was out on his feet, and all Marciano had to do was get him through the ropes. Marcinao had one of the best chins of all time, and he also packed one of the hardest punches of all time. IMO he would take Foreman if he survived the first 3 rounds.

·
All-Time Great
158 Posts
I'm supposing that by Most Overrated it doesn't mean just Heavyweights. That being the case I nominate Naseem Hamed as the most overrated.

PS. Tyson is overrated mostly because he has a very vocal fan base that worships his every step. Unfortunately Wladimir Klitschko is getting that same kind of fawning fan base.

Poet

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
poet682006 said:
I'm supposing that by Most Overrated it doesn't mean just Heavyweights. That being the case I nominate Naseem Hamed as the most overrated.

PS. Tyson is overrated mostly because he has a very vocal fan base that worships his everystep. Unfortunately Wladimir Klitschko is getting that same kind of fawning fan base.

Poet

All very true.:thumbsup:

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
comparing klitscko to tysons popularity is like kissing your sister. Its rediculous. umm and didnt foreman have a higher ko percentage. I know at some poitn in his career he did. The first half at least.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TysonJones said:
comparing klitscko to tysons popularity is like kissing your sister. Its rediculous. umm and didnt foreman have a higher ko percentage. I know at some poitn in his career he did. The first half at least.

In the first half he did, but you have to count the whole career. Its not fair to only compare part of someones career to others whole career's. Thats what a lot of Tyson's fans do to argue Tyson is the greatest.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts