Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you think it was? Sanchez was very rounded IMO.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'd have to agree that Sanchez is probably the most well rounded Featherweight. Always been a huge fan of Salv.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If by featherweight you mean exclusively 126 pounders, I could see Sanchez, particularly if Azumah Nelson is probably more of a junior light than feather in terms of his peak abilities and best wins. If we throw in 130, where Alexis Arguello was at his best, I would give the nod to Alexis, however.
If it isn't already annoying (in my view) that we've had the so-called junior weight classes, add in that super bantamweight and junior featherweight are the same thing. I think it could have cleared up a lot of the muddle if boxing had just stuck with fly, bantam, feather, light, etc.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Isn't Willie Pep the obvious choice? Or does his feather fists disqualify him from being well rounded?

Anyways, here's some other great well rounded fighters that were featherweights at one point:

George Dixon
Joe Gans
Tony Canzoneri
Benny Leonard

Just to name a few...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Isn't Willie Pep the obvious choice? Or does his feather fists disqualify him from being well rounded?

Anyways, here's some other great well rounded fighters that were featherweights at one point:

George Dixon
Joe Gans
Tony Canzoneri
Benny Leonard

Just to name a few...
I would disqualify Willie Pep from the most rounded featherweight because of his lack of power and almost exclusive reliance on slick boxing, but I would say he's the best featherweight of all time and not feel bad about it.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would disqualify Willie Pep from the most rounded featherweight because of his lack of power and almost exclusive reliance on slick boxing, but I would say he's the best featherweight of all time and not feel bad about it.
Those were exactly my thoughts.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Best would be Pep

Most rounded would be Alexis.

It's a great pitty we never got to see the best of Sanchez.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sugar Ramos should have his name at least mentioned, he had excellent boxing skills complemented by a sharp, active jab and big right hand. He could also fight when he had to and was probably the most physically imposing (muscle wise) featherweight I have ever seen. He never really peaked in his abilities due to the psychological damage of the aftermath of his tragic bout with Davey Moore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts