Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sports Nut

Anthony Mundine has a much better chance of beating Joe Calzaghe than Mikkel Kessler in the Australian star’s quest to be crowned the world’s best super-middleweight, according to one of the world’s leading boxing managers.

Interetsing comments. I don't think Mundine can beat either of them but his hand speed would give Joe some problems I feel since Joe is usually the quicker man in all his fights.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
And Joe would be the quicker man in a Mundine fight as well. Mundine is fast, but not quite as fast as Joe. Seriously, Calzaghe would stop Mundine inside 10 rounds IMO, same with Kessler if he fought him again. He wont become the best SMW ever, because Lucien Bute is better than him now.. and maybe Carl Froch.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
LeedsLad said:
And Joe would be the quicker man in a Mundine fight as well. Mundine is fast, but not quite as fast as Joe. Seriously, Calzaghe would stop Mundine inside 10 rounds IMO, same with Kessler if he fought him again. He wont become the best SMW ever, because Lucien Bute is better than him now.. and maybe Carl Froch.
ll, you've just said it all. :thumbsup:

bumdine IMO isnt top 5!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think Mundine is faster than Joe and a better puncher. But Joe is a much more skilled technician with a much superior work rate.
Still i reckon it would be a great fight. It would draw a massive crowd (60,000-80,000 in Australia).

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Its similiar on power, both guys use speed more than power to get KO's. Speed is close, hes the closest to Calzaghe, but i think Joe is slightly faster. Calzaghe is a much more skilled boxer though, and should outbox Mundine easily. It would draw a similiar crowd over here i think.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
WHAT???

bumdine is nowhere near as fast as joe, he dont punch as hard either.

he's just not in joe's class, maybe sven ottke can come out of retirment and punk bumdine again.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Mundine would not beat Joe. Kessler schooled him in his own back yard, Mikel and Joe are a different league at the moment to the rest of super-middle.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
thepowerdavies said:
Mundine would not beat Joe. Kessler schooled him in his own back yard, Mikel and Joe are a different league at the moment to the rest of super-middle.
they sure are davies.

id pick bute,froch and inkin over mundine to.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I havent seen any of Inkin, but Froch and Bute id give a good shot. Id give Bika a chance too, i dont think Mundine would like his rough style at all.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
tommygunn said:
they sure are davies.

id pick bute,froch and inkin over mundine to.
As much as I hate Mundine for obvious reasons I think he would beat all three of those guys. He is no bum. Yes, I have said in the past that he sucks and is bumworthy but really; the guy isn't half bad. There is a reason he is ranked where he is. All bias aside...Mundine is good.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
shane the only 2 descent fighters he;s been in with have punk'd him (ottke and kessler) soliman and green are his 2 notable wins and both are aussie bums like this guy, the twice he's moved up in class he's been comprohensivly beaten.

his loss to manny siaca is just laughable, this guy is also worthy of bum status and he had his way with mundine.

the guys just aussie hype!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
tommygunn said:
shane the only 2 descent fighters he;s been in with have punk'd him (ottke and kessler) soliman and green are his 2 notable wins and both are aussie bums like this guy, the twice he's moved up in class he's been comprohensivly beaten.

his loss to manny siaca is just laughable, this guy is also worthy of bum status and he had his way with mundine.

the guys just aussie hype!!!

he fought ottke in his 11th fight in germany and was winning the fight but was taking it too lightly and was careless thats why he was ko'd, the fight against siaca was terrible he fought **** and he is the first to admit it, the fight against kessler was a good fight his speed troubled kessler but he didn't let his hands go enough he is a different fighter now and there is a reason he is ranked number 3 in the world, bute,froch and inkin would all get convincingly beaten by mundine.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
jahobe said:
he fought ottke in his 11th fight in germany and was winning the fight but was taking it too lightly and was careless thats why he was ko'd, the fight against siaca was terrible he fought **** and he is the first to admit it, the fight against kessler was a good fight his speed troubled kessler but he didn't let his hands go enough he is a different fighter now and there is a reason he is ranked number 3 in the world, bute,froch and inkin would all get convincingly beaten by mundine.
those are all laughable excuses.

he obviosly fought **** if siaca beat him, i mean cmon, siaca is just a nobody, he must have fought really **** to be beaten by that guy.

kessler IMO won every round easily against him to, he was in no danger in that fight at any point.

and ottke, where do i start there, that guys the lightest punching champ in boxing history and he tore mundines head right off, regardless of how the judges had the fight.

carl froch and dennis inkin would absolutly murder mundine, luciano bute would ko him inside 2 rounds to, infact, if the WBA wernt so farcicall he wouldn't even have a belt, kessler is there champion, he holds the real belt!

·
Registered
54 Posts
tommygunn said:
those are all laughable excuses.

he obviosly fought **** if siaca beat him, i mean cmon, siaca is just a nobody, he must have fought really **** to be beaten by that guy.

kessler IMO won every round easily against him to, he was in no danger in that fight at any point.

and ottke, where do i start there, that guys the lightest punching champ in boxing history and he tore mundines head right off, regardless of how the judges had the fight.

carl froch and dennis inkin would absolutly murder mundine, luciano bute would ko him inside 2 rounds to, infact, if the WBA wernt so farcicall he wouldn't even have a belt, kessler is there champion, he holds the real belt!

Kessler most certainly did not win every round??? not excuses just facts, i didn't want to say it cos it would sound like a mega excuse but mundine was injured in the lead up to siaca, not an excuse just a fact, even so he should have beat his ass with one hand, there is no excuse for the ottke fight just a bad career move if you ask me, in his 11th fight he took on the undefeated world champion in his backyard and remember he had no amatuer career, there are not many fighters that would take that fight when they have only had 10 fights previously.

if froch, inkin or bute match up with mundine i will bet you whatever you like that mundine wins, bute KO inside 2, haha he would have to tag him first mate

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The big thing about Mundine guys is his improvement. He wasn't too bad against Kessler but he was sensational against Green and Soliman. I think Kess and JC would still beat him but Mundine is no pushover for anyone. Not anymore. The Ottke fight was six years ago when he was a rookie against a pretty good champ.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Big Jack said:
The big thing about Mundine guys is his improvement. He wasn't too bad against Kessler but he was sensational against Green and Soliman. I think Kess and JC would still beat him but Mundine is no pushover for anyone. Not anymore. The Ottke fight was six years ago when he was a rookie against a pretty good champ.

well said, he deserves his number 3 ranking, in my opinion he is the biggest threat to kessler or joe, above anyone else in the division

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I dont think hes on the level of Kessler/Calzaghe, and i have my doubts as to whether he could beat Bute and especially Jeff Lacy. To beat Lacy you have to outbox him, with no amateur background i dont think Mundine has the ability to do it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
LeedsLad said:
I dont think hes on the level of Kessler/Calzaghe, and i have my doubts as to whether he could beat Bute and especially Jeff Lacy. To beat Lacy you have to outbox him, with no amateur background i dont think Mundine has the ability to do it.

outbox lacy? Mundine is a natural boxer, if he took on lacy it would be the same story as calzaghe and lacy except mundine would stop him. lacy is not a boxer, he is a one trick pony and mundine would destroy him

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
jahobe said:
outbox lacy? Mundine is a natural boxer, if he took on lacy it would be the same story as calzaghe and lacy except mundine would stop him. lacy is not a boxer, he is a one trick pony and mundine would destroy him
You seriously underestimate Jeff Lacy. Does losing to a world-class fighter make you ****? No, because if it did Mundine would be regarding as one of the shittest. As much as i like to tease Mundine fans about Ottke, il admit he was too green, however its still worrying that he was stopped as Ottke is very feather-fisted. Stylistically Calzaghe was a nightmare, hence why he looked so bad. Kessler had a bad back, and still beat Mundine clearly by 5 rounds of my card.

Lacy vs. Mundine would be a very competitive fight and if Mundine won, i have my doubts, then yes he could push for a Kessler/Calzaghe fight. But beating a past it Soliman, a mediocure Green and then a bunch of bums doesnt make him worthy of a shot at the big two.

·
Registered
54 Posts
LeedsLad said:
You seriously underestimate Jeff Lacy. Does losing to a world-class fighter make you ****? No, because if it did Mundine would be regarding as one of the shittest. As much as i like to tease Mundine fans about Ottke, il admit he was too green, however its still worrying that he was stopped as Ottke is very feather-fisted. Stylistically Calzaghe was a nightmare, hence why he looked so bad. Kessler had a bad back, and still beat Mundine clearly by 5 rounds of my card.

Lacy vs. Mundine would be a very competitive fight and if Mundine won, i have my doubts, then yes he could push for a Kessler/Calzaghe fight. But beating a past it Soliman, a mediocure Green and then a bunch of bums doesnt make him worthy of a shot at the big two.

No it does not make you **** and i have seen lacy fight on a few occasions and i know he is a quality fighter and he was made to look extra **** because of what joe did to him, but i still stand by what i said, lacy is a power fighter, he has skill but unless he gets set early he will come undone against quality opposition, Mundine has excellent defence and speed, lacy will not be able to bully him and i think Mundine would outbox him, i agree it would be competitive but i only see Mundine winning just because he has the style and skill to handle a fighter like lacy in the early rounds and then get in to the flow and take control.

being the number 3 SMW in the world give's him a shot at the big 2.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts